The Confluence

Penguins Reduce Roster by 11, Down to 30 Players

From the Penguins:

The Pittsburgh Penguins reduced their training camp roster by 11 players, it was announced today by executive vice president and general manager Ray Shero.

Forwards Chris Conner, Nick Johnson, Brett Sterling, Joe Vitale and Tim Wallace, defensemen Robert Bortuzzo, Corey Potter, Brian Strait and Steve Wagner and goaltenders John Curry and Brad Thiessen were assigned to Wilkes-Barre/Scranton.

Conner, Curry, Potter, Sterling, Wagner and Wallace will have to clear waivers by Thursday at noon before joining WBS.

The transaction leaves 30 players on the Penguins’ roster: 18 forwards; 10 defensemen; and two goaltenders.

Filed in: , | The Confluence | Permalink
  Tags: nhl-hockey, pittsburgh+penguins

Comments

Tony's avatar

I betcha a IC Light that Sterlng gets claimed….

Posted by Tony from Virginia Beach, VA on 09/29/10 at 02:45 PM ET

What happened with that guy.  It seemed like he was a lock to grab a spot.  Then they throw him on a line with Crosby and Malkin for two periods, and for the third he is skating on the 3rd/4th line.

Posted by gretzky_to_lemieux on 09/29/10 at 03:04 PM ET

Tony's avatar

It just might be an indication that HCDB/GMRS aren’t so willing to let go of the veterans….

The key will be, in my view, what happens with TK….

Posted by Tony from Virginia Beach, VA on 09/29/10 at 03:06 PM ET

Russian Rocket's avatar

You’re right Tony.  They weren’t going to sacrifice an established player for him.  If he goes unclaimed he still has a chance to play for this team.  I think Letestu is the only forward of the WBS guys who will make the team to start out of camp, possibly Tangradi depending on how far along they view him.

The battle for the 6th Dman spot is starting to get interesting though.  Most people, including myself, thought Lovejoy had it gift wrapped and now, at least it seems, that’s not the case.  Looking like Despres will get his 9 games to start the year and then be sent back to JRs.

Posted by Russian Rocket on 09/29/10 at 03:13 PM ET

Well that might be true, but at this point I agree with you.  Sterling has no chance to make it as a Penguin now.  From how I understand things, he would actually have to clear twice now to be in Pittsburgh.

Posted by gretzky_to_lemieux on 09/29/10 at 03:14 PM ET

Tony's avatar

I haven’t see every game, but in the games I’ve seen Tangradi play, he’s done a fantastic job at screening the goalie and looks to have increased his speed to go along with his physical play…. Honestly I’d be surprised if he gets cut at this point….

As far as Despres goes, GMRS admitted that he wasn’t even supposed to make it to his 2nd preseason game…. So I have a feeling that he’s gonna get reassigned to Junior without the 9 games…. Not that I’d be disappointed if he did stay those 9 games, mind you….

Posted by Tony from Virginia Beach, VA on 09/29/10 at 03:16 PM ET

With Despres, I don’t want him up with the big club for 2-3 years… as long as that doesn’t effect him in a negative way.

Posted by gretzky_to_lemieux on 09/29/10 at 03:19 PM ET

Russian Rocket's avatar

As far as Despres goes, GMRS admitted that he wasn’t even supposed to make it to his 2nd preseason game..

Which makes it all the more interesting that they haven’t cut him already, no?  I don’t think they love anyone in that 6th spot right now and will let him have a few games, allowing him to go back to junior with confidence sky high and set the tone for another great year.  We’ll see though…

Posted by Russian Rocket on 09/29/10 at 03:29 PM ET

Tony's avatar

The only problem, if they give Despres 9 games, is that they might have to expose either Engellend, Lovejoy, or Hutchinson to waivers….  I’m not sure they’re willing to do that, we’ll see….

Posted by Tony from Virginia Beach, VA on 09/29/10 at 03:34 PM ET

Evilpens's avatar

I betcha a IC Light that Sterlng gets claimed….   Make it a Regular Coors or a Sam Adams & you’re on!! He is a hockey version a of AAAA player in Baseball Does very well or even great in AAA & is terrible to below average in the ML’s

Posted by Evilpens on 09/29/10 at 06:13 PM ET

Lindas1st's avatar

God damn rules.

Posted by Lindas1st from New England on 09/29/10 at 06:14 PM ET

Despres has been interesting.  I would love to see him get 9 games.  They could always keep 8 dmen up until they decide to keep him or not, although that isn’t very practical.

As far as Sterling goes, I bet Washington makes a claim for him, just to get back at the Pens for Bourque last year.

Posted by pens fan in baltimore on 09/29/10 at 09:04 PM ET

Evilpens's avatar

Tony !!! You owe me a COORS! or Sam Adams ! All Pens who had to go through waivers made it

Posted by Evilpens on 09/30/10 at 04:02 PM ET

Tony's avatar

We didn’t shake on it…  wink

Posted by Tony from Virginia Beach, VA on 09/30/10 at 04:06 PM ET

Evilpens's avatar

OH POOP ! LOL

Posted by Evilpens on 09/30/10 at 04:10 PM ET

Commenting is not available in this channel entry.

About The Confluence

Welcome to The Confluence, a Pittsburgh Penguins blog since 2006.

Originally at Blogspot, then at MVN, TheConfluence has over 1500 articles reporting Penguins news as well as jumping on my soapbox to opine constructive Penguins criticism.

I am blogger- credentialed with the Pittsburgh Penguins.  My posts are regularly linked by hockey websites such as the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, Pittsburgh Tribune Review, Yahoo!‘s Puck Daddy, and I’ve done numerous guest blogger spots on such websites asthe New YorkTimes.  I am a retired U.S. Navy Chief Petty Officer.

If you’d like to follow me on Twitter-