The Confluence

Penguins Had Better Treat Game 6 Like Game 7

The last thing the Penguins should want is to go back home to the Consol Energy Center for a Game 7 against the Lightning on Wednesday night.

That may seem obvious - Of course they’d want to win in tonight’s Game 6.  But unfortunately, there’s also a nagging trend that has continued to blossom in the relatively short Dan Bylsma regime.

For after their 8-2 drubbing at the hands of the Bolts in Game 5, the HCDB-led Penguins are now 0-5 in potential series-clinching wins at home.

Um, git r’ done tonight, boys.

As a refresher, here are the five playoff games I’m referring to:

- Game 6 vs. Washington, 2009
- Game 5 vs. Philly, 2009
- Game 5 vs. Ottawa, 2010
- Game 7 vs. Montreal, 2010
- Game 5 vs. Tampa Bay, 2011

More painfully obvious notes, but things will have to change, such as:

1.  The Pens’ defense just needs to forget about Game 5 and get back to their usual staunch play.  Paul Martin, in particular, arguably played his worst game of the year.  If they resume their steady defense, it bodes well for a Game 6 win.

1a.  I’m not going to say Marc-Andre Fleury played a “bad” game in Game 5, but it certainly wasn’t good.  The aforementioned defense hung him out to dry, and yes, the Bolts got some nice bounces for rebound goals.  But the Bolts only had 14 shots on goal to begin with, and they scored 4 times on those.

1b.  Duh, some offense would be appreciated.

1c.  Special teams cannot continue to be as slanted as they were in Game 5.

Notice that I put all four of those categories pretty much together.  It’s true, though, isn’t it?  They’re all crucial to victory in their own way, are they not?

I think we’ll see the Penguins get back to their game tonight, and hopefully, close this series out once and for all.

Filed in: , | The Confluence | Permalink
  Tags: nhl-hockey, pittsburgh+penguins, tampa+bay+lightning

Comments

They can do it… Let’s hope they actually do!

Posted by penguinsfan on 04/25/11 at 10:47 AM ET

Come on…Yea he wasnt his usual stellar self, but ive never seen a defensive group play soff like that.  Martin and Z just stood there while stamkos had some one on one time with MAF. Chalk it up to the whole team blowing it and move on.

Posted by Andrew Daniels on 04/25/11 at 11:08 AM ET

Wings_in_NYC's avatar

Lets go Bolts. Send Gary’s team packing in 7.

Posted by Wings_in_NYC on 04/25/11 at 11:36 AM ET

Flashtastick56's avatar

Gary’s team

Posted by Wings_in_NYC on 04/25/11 at 10:36 AM ET

The Coyotes were swept.  As a Wings fan, I thought you’d already know that.

Posted by Flashtastick56 from Meriden, CT on 04/25/11 at 12:56 PM ET

Evilpens's avatar

Stupid people don’t understand that Flash !

Posted by Evilpens on 04/25/11 at 01:00 PM ET

Wings_in_NYC's avatar

As a Wings fan, that’s precisely why I know to call it that.

Posted by Wings_in_NYC on 04/25/11 at 01:06 PM ET

As a Wing’s fan, I want Yzerman’s new club to succeed, but I have a new found respect for the Pens getting it done without their top 2 guns. Going to be a good match, but my money is on the Pens.

Posted by Kyran on 04/25/11 at 01:29 PM ET

Commenting is not available in this channel entry.

About The Confluence

Welcome to The Confluence, a Pittsburgh Penguins blog since 2006.

Originally at Blogspot, then at MVN, TheConfluence has over 1500 articles reporting Penguins news as well as jumping on my soapbox to opine constructive Penguins criticism.

I am blogger- credentialed with the Pittsburgh Penguins.  My posts are regularly linked by hockey websites such as the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, Pittsburgh Tribune Review, Yahoo!‘s Puck Daddy, and I’ve done numerous guest blogger spots on such websites asthe New YorkTimes.  I am a retired U.S. Navy Chief Petty Officer.

If you’d like to follow me on Twitter-