The Confluence

Penguins down Red Wings 5-1 in New Arena Opener

The Penguins got off to a good start tonight in the first ever hockey game at the Consol Energy Center, defeating the Detroit Red Wings, 5-1.

New Penguin Mike Comrie scored the first goal in the new arena.  Rookie Ryan Craig scored twice, while Sidney Crosby and Brett Sterling scored as well.  Ruslan Salei scored the lone goal for the Red Wings.

Detroit center Johan Franzen left the game early in the first period with what’s being described as a charley horse after a collision with Penguins defenseman Brooks Orpik.  Orpik was given a major kneeing penalty and a game misconduct.

Pens center Sidney Crosby also left the game after two periods with soreness in his hip flexor.  He described it as not being serious.

The Pens return to the ice on Friday night at Columbus.

Filed in: , | The Confluence | Permalink
  Tags: detroit+red+wings, nhl-hockey, pittsburgh+penguins

Comments

For whatever reason, I couldn’t get the feed in the third period.  Comrie seemed to have an impressive game, which is huge and hopefully he can continue that.  I hope Franzen is fine.  Take it for what it is, a tune up.

Posted by pens fan in baltimore on 09/22/10 at 11:58 PM ET

WingsFaninCO's avatar

Congrats on the preseason win and the classy post/comments thus far.  We’ll see how the regular seaon games go.  Oh, and Orpik is still a dirty f***er.

Posted by WingsFaninCO on 09/23/10 at 02:27 AM ET

The Orpik hit from what I’ve heard was totally accidental, but there is no video of it. WingsFaninCO you haven’t seen it either so you should just zip it. Orpik is one of the cleanest, most consistent big-time hitters in the NHL. He’s always in the top 5 of most hits in the NHL at the end of the season, yet he’s only been suspended once (Erik Cole hit from 2006).

Posted by KLS Line 20-82-27 on 09/23/10 at 07:06 AM ET

Moq's avatar

Encouraging start in the new arena against a competent opponent even if it’s only a pre-season game. Especially the scoring from newcomers is positive from my perspective, because it bodes well for a competitive camp where even established players like Kennedy and Talbot has to show something to remain on the roster.

Hopefully, Franzen isn’t seriously hurt. No team wants injuries during pre-season, but it’s difficult to avoid when players fight for roster spots.

Posted by Moq from Denmark on 09/23/10 at 07:29 AM ET

NHLJeff's avatar

I wasn’t able to watch the game, was Comrie playing wing or center?

Posted by NHLJeff from Pens fan in Chicago, IL on 09/23/10 at 07:53 AM ET

redxblack's avatar

Neither Franzen nor Orpik are at risk for not making the team, but there certainly were some scrubs that will be in the AHL this year last night. Boulerice will be in WBS very soon. It was pathetic that he and Downey dropped the gloves again. If you don’t know of their history, check out the youtube clip of their fight when Boulerice was with the hurricanes and Downey was with the Stars.

Posted by redxblack from Akron Ohio on 09/23/10 at 08:52 AM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

Small correction for you, Tony.  Franzen plays as a winger.  Filppula is the center on that line.

As for Orpik?  He’s not a “clean” player, he’s a guy with an edge. He’s not a dirty guy, but he crosses into dirty plays and last night’s hit was right there, as evidenced by the game misconduct he got.  I want him suspended for this, as I want the league taking the same look at knee-on-knee that they took at headshots last season.  These are plays that don’t belong in the game, whether they’re accidental or not.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 09/23/10 at 09:22 AM ET

Tony's avatar

I stand corrected, thanks J.J….

Posted by Tony from Virginia Beach, VA on 09/23/10 at 09:24 AM ET

Tony's avatar

Here’s the Boulerice/Downey fight….

Posted by Tony from Virginia Beach, VA on 09/23/10 at 09:32 AM ET

I know its only one pre-season game, but I am excited to hear that there is some actual competition at this years camp.  Sterling, Letestu, Comrie, Tangradi, Johnson.  With this many wingers showing up with some NHL ready skill, I am wondering what happens to a TK, Adams, and Talbot.  Hopefully Max steps it up here soon, I would hate to see him go, but its hard not to at least think about it now.

Also, who replace MAF in the third?  How did he look?

Posted by gretzky_to_lemieux on 09/23/10 at 09:52 AM ET

WingsFaninCO's avatar

Posted by KLS Line 20-82-27 on 09/23/10 at 06:06 AM ET

amazing how a friendly post with only the slightest mention of controversy gets some people’s thong twisted around.  LOL, thanks for the laugh while my coffee is still brewing.

Posted by WingsFaninCO on 09/23/10 at 10:55 AM ET

Tony,
I can’t tell you how good it is to read a rational, mature post of the game.  I know you are a Pens homer, so, of course, it has that slant, but the garbage that spews from the other side is ridiculous.  Yea, I know they don’t care, but they’re schtick is getting really old.  Kinda like that class clown whose jokes grate on your nerves after the umpteenth time you’ve heard them. Thanks for at least making the Pens side of the fence look respectable.

Posted by VAHockeyFan on 09/23/10 at 10:59 AM ET

Tony's avatar

Thanks…

The best thing you can do with the A2Y boys is simply to not take stuff personally… I take 99.9% of their stuff with a laugh, there’s very very few of them that really go overboard…. They’re passionate hockey fans who love their team just as much as we do, I just take it a good back-and-forth banter….

Posted by Tony from Virginia Beach, VA on 09/23/10 at 11:05 AM ET

Tony,
You’re absolutely right.  Those guys over there know their stuff and also have their smack talk style to live up to.  I can appreciate what they do, and it’s great for hockey.  Nothing like fanning the rivalry flames to excite the fandom.  I just don’t think that smack talk style belongs on an open forum like Kuklas Korner with respectable bloggers like yourself.  Hell, I read Pensblog for its entertainment aspect (and the occasional good hockey talk) but I don’t think that site should ever be on here either.

Posted by VAHockeyFan on 09/23/10 at 11:17 AM ET

Tony's avatar

The Pensblog boys have become buddies of mine over the years, they’re great at what they do, and they don’t pretend to be anything else….

Just as if I tried to do posts like they do, it’d be horrendous…. wink

Posted by Tony from Virginia Beach, VA on 09/23/10 at 11:20 AM ET

Exactly….Pensblog doesn’t pretend to be anything other than entertainment.  Apparently, the other side just didn’t get the memo that they shouldn’t be taking themselves so seriously either.

Posted by VAHockeyFan on 09/23/10 at 11:30 AM ET

WingsFanInBeanLand's avatar

Posted by VAHockeyFan on 09/23/10 at 10:17 AM ET

Maybe you should take you complaining to Paul if you don’t like A2Y.  Just a thought.

Posted by WingsFanInBeanLand from where free agents no longer dare. on 09/23/10 at 12:30 PM ET

Red Winger's avatar