The Confluence

Penguins Start Regular Season Where They Left Off

The saying goes that you can only beat teams that are on your schedule.

The Penguins are playing decent hockey, although in the grand scheme of things it doesn't really matter how well you play as long as you're winning.  The benefits of regular season success can surely be debated, especially when you're a team with four straight disappointing playoff exits.  That said, they're winning, and that's a good thing.

They've opened the season 5-1, the only blip being a mailed-in performance last weekend in Miami or Sunrise or wherever the Panthers technically play.

A few notes:

• The lineup, with the exception of the 1st line, is pretty much a Charlie Foxtrot (think: Cluster).  With James Neal, Matt D'Agostini and now Beau Bennett nursing injuries, HCDB has been forced to continuallly move players around.  I would think the player that affects the most is Malkin.  It's abundantly clear nowadays that Malkin needs Neal to really flourish.
  • Frankly, four of the Pens' five wins haven't been against what you would call powerhouses.  Just me, but I'm going to withhold judgment until the Pens' schedule has seen more of the heavy hitters.
  • Someone please tell Brandon Sutter the season has started.  Absolutely invisible.  Say his linemates are shaky, fine, but he was the main piece in the Jordan Staal trade.  I sure would like to see more.
  • Sidney Crosby with 12 points in his first 6 games.  Let's hope we're going to see a full season from Sid.  If so, could be a mammoth year for him.
  • As I mentioned a while back, I fully expect Marc-Andre Fleury to have a good regular season.  But he MUST be successful once again in the playoffs, at least in my eyes, before those demons are gone, and not a day earlier.
  • It's coming up on time that the Pens must make a decision on Olli Maatta.  Damn, this kid's good.  Would he benefit from going back to Juniors?  I just don't know.  He would dominate back there.

Filed in: | The Confluence | Permalink

Comments

Evilpens's avatar

Maatta is NHL ready!! what would he get playing 3 levels below his level of play ?? Engo is what he is a Goon not an NHL D Man, Paying Niskanen 2.3 M to be a 5th D Man is insane with the Cap issues they have.

Also Paying LeTard 6 M a year & then signing Scuds to a 3.5 M deal to babysit him is moronic, You do NOT pay a D Man 6 M if you have to pay another D Man 3.5 M to clean up his Brain Farts

Posted by Evilpens on 10/16/13 at 08:55 AM ET

NHLJeff's avatar

EP, Letang’s extension was actually, embarrassingly for the Pens, $7.25M/yr (starting next season). Pretty absurd.

Posted by NHLJeff from Pens fan in Chicago, IL on 10/16/13 at 09:44 AM ET

Evilpens's avatar

OH OK ! thanks ! I had it in my mind it was 6 M ! maybe I wanted to believe that was what it was huh? tongue rolleye

Posted by Evilpens on 10/16/13 at 10:00 AM ET

EP has a weird hate/hate relationship with his favorite team.  There is maybe 4 or 5 players he actually like and the rest all suck or should be traded.

Posted by gretzky_to_lemieux on 10/16/13 at 12:48 PM ET

Evilpens's avatar

UM No G2L I don’t think you pay LeTard 7.25 M & then turn around & sign a 34 Year Old D Man to a 4 Year Contract worth 3.5 M a year to cover his brain fartI like the whole team, Please stop with this Hate thing if you think someone shouldn’t played where they are played as in Dupuis/Kunitz or Payed too much as in Letard/Dupuis/Kunitz

Posted by Evilpens on 10/16/13 at 01:57 PM ET

Lindas1st's avatar

Hahahhahahhahhhah,
yeah, That’s EvilPens, but he knows his stuff.

BTW Great Start, let’s hope we can carry through the whole regular season & S.C. Playoffs.

Posted by Lindas1st from New England on 10/16/13 at 02:35 PM ET

Evilpens's avatar

Lindas1st The regular season is an Exhibition season for Pens & especially MAF

Posted by Evilpens on 10/16/13 at 04:17 PM ET

Commenting is not available in this channel entry.

About The Confluence

Welcome to The Confluence, a Pittsburgh Penguins blog since 2006.

Originally at Blogspot, then at MVN, TheConfluence has over 1500 articles reporting Penguins news as well as jumping on my soapbox to opine constructive Penguins criticism.

I am blogger- credentialed with the Pittsburgh Penguins.  My posts are regularly linked by hockey websites such as the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, Pittsburgh Tribune Review, Yahoo!‘s Puck Daddy, and I’ve done numerous guest blogger spots on such websites asthe New YorkTimes.  I am a retired U.S. Navy Chief Petty Officer.

If you’d like to follow me on Twitter-