The Confluence

Marc-Andre Fleury: Why the Penguins Should Bench Him

From Billy Nauman of The Hockey Writers:

Marc-Andre Fleury is a scapegoat for a reason. He is not an elite goaltender. He never has been and he never will be. He collapsed down the stretch last year, failed spectacularly in the playoffs, and his save percentage this year is an abysmal 0.897 – but that’s not why I’m writing this article.

I’m writing this because Marc-Andre Fleury has been a disappointment throughout his entire career. His recent performance is not an aberration, and now that the Pittsburgh Penguins have Tomas Vokoun, a more-than-capable replacement, it’s time to make a switch.

Continue Reading:/

Filed in: | The Confluence | Permalink

Comments

Evilpens's avatar

Good Lord what a clueless Clown

Posted by Evilpens on 02/06/13 at 12:12 PM ET

NHLJeff's avatar

Fleury may be inconsistent, but he is a spectacular goalie.  Any goaltender where you can say the team wouldn’t have wont the Cup without him is good in my book.  Vokoun is great and all, but to win another Cup, the Pens will need MAF in the zone, and he’ll need to play throughout the season to get there.

Posted by NHLJeff from Pens fan in Chicago, IL on 02/06/13 at 12:31 PM ET

Evilpens's avatar

Bernie Parent wouldn’t have played well behind the Clusterfuck that were the Pens last playoff season

Posted by Evilpens on 02/06/13 at 12:44 PM ET

Fleury bailed the Pens out of so many games last year, by the time the playoffs came he just couldn’t do it anymore.  He mentions nothing about how Bokoun has largely played on teams relying on a D first mentality for most of his career.  I admit, I’m a Fleury supporter, but I don’t expect him or the team to falter as they did last year.  With Vokoun as healthy competition, I expect a better, fresher Fleury as long as the team D holds up.

I also find it amusing that he is using these early season numbers.  Too short of a time frame.

Posted by pens fan in baltimore on 02/06/13 at 01:04 PM ET

JMK's avatar

Spot on!

Posted by JMK on 02/06/13 at 01:15 PM ET

I hate when people use save percentage and Goals allowed as if they’re the be-all and end-all when it comes to goaltender performance. Those stats don’t take into account shot quality, which tends to be systemic. When the Coyotes or Blues systems allow a chance, it’s a low-percentage one from outside. When a system like the ones played by Pittsburgh and the Flyers allow a chance, it’s a 2 on 1. This is reflected by before and after stats of goaltenders moving in and out of these markets. All saves are not created equal.

This isn’t to say I’m not open to the idea that Vokoun is better than MAF, even at Vokoun’s age. In fact, I think it’s likely.

I’m just not convinced by an argument based on little more than career save percentage or GAA.

Posted by larry on 02/06/13 at 03:59 PM ET

Commenting is not available in this channel entry.

About The Confluence

Welcome to The Confluence, a Pittsburgh Penguins blog since 2006.

Originally at Blogspot, then at MVN, TheConfluence has over 1500 articles reporting Penguins news as well as jumping on my soapbox to opine constructive Penguins criticism.

I am blogger- credentialed with the Pittsburgh Penguins.  My posts are regularly linked by hockey websites such as the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, Pittsburgh Tribune Review, Yahoo!‘s Puck Daddy, and I’ve done numerous guest blogger spots on such websites asthe New YorkTimes.  I am a retired U.S. Navy Chief Petty Officer.

If you’d like to follow me on Twitter-