The Confluence

Judas

From Pittsburgh’s 105.9 The X’s Mark Madden:

The Penguins offered $2m. Detroit offered more.

But Philadelphia offered 30 pieces of silver. Tailor-made for a Judas.

I’ve always hated when Pittsburgh fans booed Jaromir Jagr every time he touched the puck as an opposing player. But now he’ll richly deserve it, and then some. Maybe he deserved it all along. Joining the ONE TEAM a Penguins legend should NEVER join shows how little regard he has for his Penguins legacy, and indeed for Mario Lemieux.  Forget the alumni golf outing. Forget retiring No. 68. Forget all the pleasantries exchanged. Jagr is dead to me. He should be dead to you. Dead to the Penguins. Dead to Mario.

Continue Reading:

Filed in: Pittsburgh Penguins, | The Confluence | Permalink
  Tags: nhl-hockey, pittsburgh+penguins

Comments

well said.

Posted by sev on 07/02/11 at 01:06 AM ET

Neznarf's avatar

Well said indeed.  I despise the guy already as a wing fan.  I could only imagine what a pens fan must be feeling.

Posted by Neznarf on 07/02/11 at 01:36 AM ET

Jagr is a douche, of that there is no doubt. Feeling bad for Pens fans that he jerked y’all around like that. Hope Mario puts his foot down and doesn’t let them raise his jersey to the rafters as long as he’s around.

Posted by Iggy Rules on 07/02/11 at 02:05 AM ET

Moq's avatar

It wasn’t a beautiful story with a happy ending a la Disney, but Madden’s agitation is ridiculous hyperbole. Doubletalk and deception is nothing new to free agency, and in the end, it became a business decision. Mark Madden should know that, but he speculates in fan emotion to seem relevant.

Jagr would have been a nice addition. However, it’s old news by now.

Posted by Moq from Denmark on 07/02/11 at 02:13 AM ET

statelouis26's avatar

I don’t know if this goes this far but do you not know jagr?  I’m just a fan and I could tell this guy was gonna pull this garbage b/c that’s what he’s done before and that’s his type.  You can hate him but to the point where he’s disgraced your club idk.  Why does he owe you anything?  Your team (Including Holland and Holmgren) wanted this tird in the first place god knows why.

Posted by statelouis26 from Detroit, MI on 07/02/11 at 04:10 AM ET

i have listened to you since your inception. and agree with you 55% of the time. this time…. 110%......know you don’t care mark…........but yessss…....... judas. the judas bros .....

Posted by lovinflerury29 from the burgh on 07/02/11 at 05:11 AM ET

The fact that Madden is willing to admit that he may have made a mistake and changed his mind on this matter should tell anyone all they need to know.  The guy is such a hard head when it comes to his opinion.  Madden’s no saint, especially with the crap he’s said about LGP recently, but he’s right here.

After the initial shock, I’m more disappointed now because there will be a 5-6 year period in Pens history that will basically be ignored and forgotten.  I’m sure everything but the scoring champion banners containing Jagr’s name or photo will be gone.

Posted by pens fan in baltimore on 07/02/11 at 10:29 AM ET

Commenting is not available in this channel entry.

About The Confluence

Welcome to The Confluence, a Pittsburgh Penguins blog since 2006.

Originally at Blogspot, then at MVN, TheConfluence has over 1500 articles reporting Penguins news as well as jumping on my soapbox to opine constructive Penguins criticism.

I am blogger- credentialed with the Pittsburgh Penguins.  My posts are regularly linked by hockey websites such as the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, Pittsburgh Tribune Review, Yahoo!‘s Puck Daddy, and I’ve done numerous guest blogger spots on such websites asthe New YorkTimes.  I am a retired U.S. Navy Chief Petty Officer.

If you’d like to follow me on Twitter-