by Tony on 12/11/08 at 12:35 PM ET
Islanders at Penguins, 7:30 PM ET, Mellon Arena
Islanders, 10-16-2, 22 pts, 14th in Eastern Conference
Penguins, 15-9-4, 34 pts., T-5th in Eastern Conference
Season series: 3rd meeting, Penguins lead series 2-0
Last game vs. Islanders: Penguins def. Islanders, 5-3, Nov. 26th.
Special teams rankings:
Powerplay: Penguins 17.3% (T-17th), Islanders 18.3% (T-14th)
Penalty Kill: Penguins 84.7% (T-6th), Islanders 80.7% (18th)
Probable goaltender rankings:
SV%: Penguins - John Curry .907 (n/a), Islanders - Joey MacDonald .902 (T-27th)
GAA: Penguins - John Curry 2.67 (n/a), Islanders - Joey MacDonald 3.08 (T-35th)
- The Penguins are 87-87-26 all-time versus the Islanders.
- On this date is Penguins’ history - December 11, 2000 - Team owner Mario Lemieux officially announces his return to ice after a three-year absence from the game. Lemieux recorded four points (1G-3A) in his first game versus the Toronto Maple Leafs Dec. 29, 2000. He finished the season with 76 points (35G-41A) in 43 games, helping the Penguins to the Eastern Conference Finals against the New Jersey Devils.
- A sellout tonight will be the 80th consecutive.
- Consol Energy has won the naming rights for the Penguins’ new arena, scheduled to open in time for the 2010-2011 NHL season.
- Stat O’ the day: When Petr Sykora gets at least one point, the Penguins are 10-2.
- Last time the Penguins scored 2 or more short-handed goals - Mar. 1st, 2007 at Rangers (Staal, Armstrong)
Be the first to comment.
Add a Comment
Please limit embedded image or media size to 575 pixels wide.
Most Recent Blog Posts
About The Confluence
Welcome to The Confluence, a Pittsburgh Penguins blog since 2006.
Originally at Blogspot, then at MVN, TheConfluence has over 1500 articles reporting Penguins news as well as jumping on my soapbox to opine constructive Penguins criticism.
I am blogger- credentialed with the Pittsburgh Penguins. My posts are regularly linked by hockey websites such as the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, Pittsburgh Tribune Review, Yahoo!‘s Puck Daddy, and I’ve done numerous guest blogger spots on such websites asthe New YorkTimes. I am a retired U.S. Navy Chief Petty Officer.
If you’d like to follow me on Twitter-