The Confluence

Encounter with Crosby warms the heart of Lisbon family

From the Lisbon, OH Morning Journal’s Samantha Cresanto:

Many of our locals know Kyle. As a family, we don’t ever go to the grocery store, the gas station, or out to dinner without running into someone who knows and warmly greets my brother. We’ve even been in airports, hundreds of miles away and even in another country, where we’ve run into people who shout from afar, “Kyle!” and then run up to give him a hug and ask how he is.

However, Sidney Crosby is not someone I would expect to stop Kyle on the street. But he did.

Sidney Crosby actually pulled up behind my family and me in the parking lot adjacent to the Consol Energy Center and asked, from his vehicle, who the young man in front of me was. I did manage, after a brief moment of awe, to introduce him to Kyle, and proceeded to ask Kyle if he knew who this man in the suit and tie was. (The two are only a year apart in age). Kyle - being Kyle - squealed with happiness and did a dance in his wheelchair in confirmation. From there, Crosby offered Kyle an autographed picture of himself, made casual conversation - asking how many games Kyle attends, where Kyle is from - and even got out of his car to take a picture with his young fan. And if ever we were wondering what made him stop, he did offer, “Well, I saw you were wearing my shirt, so”

Continue Reading:

Filed in: Pittsburgh Penguins, | The Confluence | Permalink
  Tags: nhl-hockey, pittsburgh+penguins

Comments

Cue the Crosby haters.  The reason I like stories like this is that it was unsolicited kindness…..no camera crews, no announcements, not doing it for PR reasons or because the club told you to do it. I know that most hockey players are good guys, so something like this doesn’t surprise me at all. It’s just that Sid gets such a bad rap for being “whiny”, “petulant”, “aloof”, “without a personality”.... The truth is that he is one of the good guys and he does have a personality….he just doesn’t choose to use it on the losers who hate him.

Posted by VAHockeyFan on 04/13/11 at 03:19 PM ET

I may not be a huge fan of Sid, but anyone that is not touch by this should seek therapy. This is a beautiful story and an inspiring one. Crosby is grateful with what he has and he tries to give more light to others.

Well done well done..

Posted by Meg on 04/13/11 at 03:26 PM ET

People need to stop praising athletes for being good humans.  It says a lot about our society in general when we have to read an entire column about how great Crosby is because he actually “got out of his car in the arena parking lot” and said hello.

Posted by gretzky_to_lemieux on 04/13/11 at 03:26 PM ET

It says a lot about our society in general
Posted by gretzky_to_lemieux on 04/13/11 at 01:26 PM ET

I agree wholeheartedly, but that is the way it is now. If there are going to be reports about a basketball player crying then pulling a gun on a fan in a parking lot, then the opposite should be told too.

Hockey players on the whole lean more to this side than other professional North American sports, and we should know about it. There are a lot of entitled ‘celebrities’ that make these reports necessary. It shows a human side. It’s good.

Posted by NathanBC on 04/13/11 at 03:33 PM ET

redxblack's avatar

Of all the professional athletes I’ve met or associated with, hockey players are the most down to earth as a group. It’s always a big plus to see people interact with their fans.

Posted by redxblack from Akron Ohio on 04/13/11 at 03:37 PM ET

I think hockey players “get it.” They aren’t usually the primadonnas like in most of the rest of the professional sports world who think the world owes them something.

Posted by VAHockeyFan on 04/13/11 at 03:44 PM ET

Evilpens's avatar

Hockey Players “Get it” because are grounded because they know what their parents did to get them to early morning hockey Practices, Paying for Hockey gear, Traveling good distances to see them play & like the Staal’s Busted their ass on the Family Sod Farm

Posted by Evilpens on 04/13/11 at 03:52 PM ET

Commenting is not available in this channel entry.

About The Confluence

Welcome to The Confluence, a Pittsburgh Penguins blog since 2006.

Originally at Blogspot, then at MVN, TheConfluence has over 1500 articles reporting Penguins news as well as jumping on my soapbox to opine constructive Penguins criticism.

I am blogger- credentialed with the Pittsburgh Penguins.  My posts are regularly linked by hockey websites such as the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, Pittsburgh Tribune Review, Yahoo!‘s Puck Daddy, and I’ve done numerous guest blogger spots on such websites asthe New YorkTimes.  I am a retired U.S. Navy Chief Petty Officer.

If you’d like to follow me on Twitter-