The Confluence

Another Hat Trick for Crosby, Penguins’ Win Streak Hits Eight

UPDATE:  With video.

He’s in the zone.  He’s en fuego.  He’s on a roll.

Whatever the superlative cliche’ you wanna throw out there, it certainly applies to Sidney Crosby right now.

Crosby scored his second consecutive home hat trick, the third goal coming as a result of an absolutely sick backhanded deflection, as the Penguins won their eighth straight game and have now earned points in eleven straight as they’ve now vaulted to the top of the Atlantic Division.

Atlanta actually got on the board first on a power play goal by Bryan Little as they finally stopped the Pens’ penalty killing streak at 32 straight (as I predicted, unfortunately).

After that, it was all Crosby for the next 25 minutes of the game.  Crosby scored only 71 seconds after Little’s goal when he took a cross-ice feed from Chris Kunitz that initially Crosby couldn’t settle down.  Once it did though, Crosby was able to lift it to the top shelf past Ondrej Pavelec to tie the game at one.

About four minutes into the second period, the Penguins actually took advantage of a long shift by 4th line center Craig Adams.  Adams finally got off the ice and was replaced by Crosby, who just so happened to get on the ice as Arron Asham took possession of a loose puck in the Pens’ zone.  Asham fed Crosby near the Atlanta blue line, where Crosby then went backhand to the five-hole of Pavelec to make it 2-1 Pens.

Crosby got the hat trick midway through the second as Brooks Orpik waited with the puck on the left point until Crosby got into position.  Orpik purposely shot the puck wide left, where Crosby then deflected the puck to his right with his back to the shot and past Pavelec to make it 3-1.

Nik Antropov scored late in the second to make it 3-2, but the Penguins clamped down defensively to preserve the win.

Pens travel to Columbus next on Saturday night.

Filed in: , | The Confluence | Permalink
  Tags: nhl-hockey, pittsburgh+penguins

Comments

Lindas1st's avatar

Awesome deflection.

Posted by Lindas1st from New England on 12/03/10 at 12:19 AM ET

redxblack's avatar

That was a big game (that I didn’t watch). Congrats to the Pens and Crosby. Beating Atlanta now is much more impressive than beating a lot of the teams in the East.

Posted by redxblack from Akron Ohio on 12/03/10 at 12:20 AM ET

Was at the game, my first at CEC, and it was awesome. Have one thing to say though. There were probably a good 2000 empty seats. It was a sell out, but it was absolutely not full attendance, not even close. People need to stop buying up season tickets and putting them all on ebay and ticketkexchange for unbelievably outrageous prices. I’d buy tickets to a couple dozen games at 50 a piece, but since they all sell out months before the actual game, I get stuck trying to buy from people selling them at double or triple face value, and half them go unsold, sitting on these websites and become empty seats at the arena.

PS, Crosby is awesome.

Posted by Kstewy16 on 12/03/10 at 01:07 AM ET

Tony's avatar

Yeah, I did notice a lot more empty seats tonight….

If you ask me, TicketExchange is nothing more than NHL-authorized scalping…. They should limit the profit to 10% if you sell them via TicketExchange, otherwise put them up on Ebay or somewhere else….

Posted by Tony from Virginia Beach, VA on 12/03/10 at 01:16 AM ET

What’s crazy is Crosby almost had two more (not counting the empty net attempt) and Dupuis missed two other golden setups.

This is the best I’ve seen Crosby play (though I missed much of his rookie year, due to living in Washington and not having center ice). What impresses me now is, in years past, I had a rough idea of where he might be trying to go or what he might be looking to try in any given situation (with exceptions). Now, there doesn’t seem to be any pattern to his play (that a fan like myself can see, at least). I don’t know when he’ll be a threat or from where. Say a prayer for Eastern Conference coaches.

Posted by StevieSteve on 12/03/10 at 01:52 AM ET

Osrt's avatar

Posted by Tony

Good suggestion.

Posted by Osrt on 12/03/10 at 01:53 AM ET

Evilpens's avatar

Sid is just beyond ridiculous right now !!! Marioesque

Geno is reaally starting to worry me though, They have to get him better wingers !! Cooke is no way a top 2 line winger & Talbot or Asham are 4th liners

Posted by Evilpens on 12/03/10 at 09:36 AM ET

Moq's avatar

That’s a wicked deflection by Crosby. Even though I might wish for a few more “clean” goals, deflections require skill and can be beautiful.

There’s no reason to wish upon a star when it comes to better wingers, it isn’t plausible until the trade deadline. Furthermore, I think Asham is a decent alternative for stretches of games. The real problem is Malkin struggling with form. The wingers may not be dangerous snipers, but they generate space that Malkin should exploit better.

Posted by Moq from Denmark on 12/03/10 at 10:22 AM ET

Alan's avatar

Tough loss to swallow, but Crosby is really hard to stop. I thought Fleury played beautifully, and the Pens D did everything they could to stop Atlanta on the attack. Pavelec did a lot of heroics last night, too, otherwise the game could have been blown wide open.

One thing that hurt Atlanta is that D-man Freddy Meyer was substituting for Evander Kane (knee) tonight, at Forward. That experiment was a resounding failure, but it’s no excuse for the loss.

Great game, and I hope we see each other in the playoffs. Hell, as a beaten and bruised Atlanta fan, I just hope we make it to the playoffs.

Posted by Alan from Atlanta on 12/03/10 at 11:33 AM ET

Tony's avatar

Impressed with Atlanta, Alan…. Not your older brother’s Thrashers, to be sure…

Posted by Tony from Virginia Beach, VA on 12/03/10 at 11:34 AM ET

Flashtastick56's avatar

Don’t even get me started on the whole StubHub/TicketExchange/EBay culture.

Nothing pisses me off more than these assholes buying up all the tickets and selling them for two and three times the face value prices.

I hate it with a passion.  I hate it more than the Detroit Red Wings in late-May/early June, Philip Rivers, Tom Brady’s hair, Sid Bream and college football’s way of crowing a national champion combined.

To get to a Pens game while I’m home for the holidays, I had to pay $125 for a $75 ticket.  That means $250 down the drain for my wife and I to go.  F*ck that.  For real.  I understand if you bought tickets and can’t make it to a game…but that’s not what the majority of this is.

And forget about going to the Winter Classic.  $130 tickets for $300 are the cheapest.  $170 more than face value.  If they didn’t want the f*cking tickets, why not just say “no” when they were contacted after they won a lottery…or were given the chance to buy them as season ticket holders.

The amount of tickets on StubHub for the WC is sickening.  All I want to do is go.  All those people want to do is make a f*cking profit.

Something needs to be done about it.  Limiting profit on these sites to 10% would certainly be a good start.  If I were a professional sports franchise owner, I’d want these sites to be nothing more than fans helping other fans - paying whoever has the ticket on sale face value for the ticket plus either shipping and handling or a convenience charge for printing it out.

Sorry.  I’ve been FUMING about this for the past couple of months.

So, uh…that Sidney Crosby fellow is pretty good, huh?

Posted by Flashtastick56 from Meriden, CT on 12/03/10 at 11:40 AM ET

Tony's avatar

Nothing much you can do about Ebay or StubHub, but TicketExchange is an NHL-authorized system…

The fact that they’re allowing people to resell their tickets online is quite convenient, but allowing them to resell them at an extremely marked up price, on the team’s website no less, is nothing more than scalping, without the brotha on the corner holding up the sign that says “I need tickets” (wink-wink).....

Posted by Tony from Virginia Beach, VA on 12/03/10 at 11:47 AM ET

Alan's avatar

Thanks for the kind words, Tony.

Atlanta made some real strides forward this off-season, and with Ramsay’s defense system starting to take hold, I think things are really looking up.

Still, the major issue is containing Crosby. That’s hard to do, as he has so many tools at his disposal to get around people and make phenomenal plays.

Many, including me, get really tired of hearing about him. But there’s no denying that he’s a damn fine player.

Posted by Alan from Atlanta on 12/03/10 at 12:38 PM ET

hockeychic's avatar

I can’t stand Sid, I detest him but I do have to admit that he is just on fire right now.  Everything he does seems to find the back of the net.

Posted by hockeychic from Denver, CO on 12/03/10 at 12:46 PM ET

redxblack's avatar

You need good defensive forwards to muck up Pittsburgh’s offense. By the time they get to the D, it is too late. Atlanta’s best defensive forward is playing D now (Buffuglyin), so that’s out.

Posted by redxblack from Akron Ohio on 12/03/10 at 02:42 PM ET