Talk'n Hawks

What’s Wrong With People?

Sunday, my son and I attended the Hawks game at the United Center. The Blackhawks beat the Oilers 6-3. As a side note, the last game we attended was Game 4 of the Playoffs against Vancouver last season, when the Hawks won 7-2. 13 goals in 2 games for the Hawks. If the boys get shut out the next couple of times that I go there, I have nothing to complain about, but that’s not the point of this.

We arrived early for the 6:00 start, to see and take some photo’s of the new Bobby Hull & Stan Mikita statues that are outside of the U.C. There are even more remarkable, in person than the pictures and videos that I saw of them. The artist(s) did a truly fantastic job catching both the likeness and the essence of both of the athletes. After taking about 100 pictures, we got in line for the game. This is where the fun begins.

We got in line, on the inside of the first set of doors, around 15 minutes before the gates opened. The was a guy, military hair cut, maybe 5 foot 7 inches, inside with around 25 of us. Being a early evening Sunday game, they were mostly families of 2 or 3 kids, predominately in grade school. This guy started pulling on the doors, swearing loudly, and speaking mostly gibberish. He began to talk to the children in a very uncomfortable way. Before I could find a security guard, 2 of them came out and asked the lunatic to come with them into the parking lot. We never saw him again. Nice job guys. It’s pretty amazing when security has the presence of mind to locate a potential problem before it occurs.

When we got to our seats, I was very happy that a very thin woman was seated next to me. This makes up for the usual 300+ pound fat guys that usually occupy the seat next to me, spilling more beer and food than they consume.. Behind us, we were not so fortunate. There were 5 or 6 guys (I really didn’t need to see them) who were obviously HAMMERED. The second that the puck hit the ice, it was clear that their only objective was to scream out profanity and insults to the Oilers. Keep in mind we were up in the 300 level of the United Center, where you can’t even hear the whistle. After about 5 minutes, (and 2 Hawks goals) they finally quieted down. Then, out of nowhere, a DETROIT SUCKS chant erupted from the Mensa gathering. I thought, at first, that this was rather random. Then I saw the reason why this occurred. A guy, wearing a Red Wings jersey, was walking up and down the aisles. Why would you come to a Hawks / Oilers game wearing that? Parading up and down the aisles, answered that question, as well as the idiots who were yelling. Attention.

I couldn’t help but notice that none of these guys were with a woman. Hey guys, if your “packages” were as big as your mouths you’d have a date. I just don’t get it. When I go to an event it’s to see a show, not to BE the show.

Filed in: Chicago Blackhawks, | Talk'n Hawks | Permalink

Comments

As a 300 level season ticketholder, I can say that my section is much better than what you have mentioned. But thats only when the season ticketholders don’t sell their tickets.

The problem comes from something I have never fully understood. I mean its fun to drink, but when you spend 50 bucks just to get in the door, why do you want to be hammered and not even be able to remember the game? Not to mention the beer is expensive as hell.

I will try to preempt any Wings negativity and say that its just a coincidence that guy was wearing a Wings jersey.  Not all Wings fans love attention. One of my fellow season ticket holders is actually a Wings fan, but just likes hockey. CAN’T WE ALL JUST GET ALONG!(until we play each other…)

Posted by pstumba on 11/15/11 at 01:44 PM ET

We experience the same thing whenever we go to a Bruins game, whether we are cheering for the Bruins or not.

Caveat: We are California transplants and root for the Sharks and Kings whenever they come to town, so we expect some ridicule then. But when we are there to see the Bruins we are still surrounded by people who can’t hold their beers (literally) and who shout profanities and rudeness. Between ticket prices and belligerent fans, we think long and hard before we buy tickets to a game.

Posted by Liz from Boston Burbs on 11/15/11 at 02:02 PM ET

There are two episodes from the past two years that I’ve seen that stick in my mind.  At a game about a year ago, there was a kid (barely 21), pounding beers the whole game. You could tell he was not feeling well by the middle of the third and alas - he vommitted on himself and probably everyone around him.  I guess that capped off his fun and very expensive evening (tickets - lower level and $6-8 beers).  We chalked it up to youth, stupidity, and inexperience with alcohol.  However, this year we had another idiot boozing it up - much older (late 20’s -30’s), who vommitted on the lady in front of him right after spilling his beer down her back.  I think he’s lucky he made it out of the arena alive.  Mostly, we don’t have problems in our section, but that is why I’m very careful about who I sell or give my tickets to.

Posted by greg on 11/15/11 at 02:25 PM ET

Krononymous's avatar

Because maybe the guy is proud to be a Red Wings fan?  I know I am.  I wear my Wings baseball cap to Indians games in the summer - even on days we’re playing the Tigers.  Sometimes people give me grief, sometimes not.  Most of the time, we just talk hockey.  When I watch games on TV, I often see people in the stands wearing the sweater of their favorite team even when that team is not on the ice.  If the individual wearing the sweater is civil, then there isn’t an issue.  I don’t think they should have to change their colors to suit the home team’s fans.  Besides, Blackhawks fans just like to chant “Detroit sucks!”.  There was a row of them behind me at the Joe last season, 300 level, chanting “Detroit sucks!’ all night long and everyone just ignored them.  They weren’t worth the effort.

Posted by Krononymous on 11/15/11 at 04:01 PM ET

Nicholas Lorenzi's avatar

My neutral jersey is a Bobby Orr jersey and all I get is compliments. I often give a “Nice sweater” to a guy wearing a Howe jersey in Nationwide. This bashing of Detroit has rarely occured in Columbus, I bet that’s hard to believe.

Everclear + Orange Soda = no boredom while standing in line for a hour. Drinking goes hand in hand with hockey at this point in my life. Yea it’s expensive ($9 a tallboy) but I stand in line for an hour for the $10 tickets sold at every Jacket’s game. The booze fuels the speck of hope I have for Columbus

The last Chicago/Columbus game there were 6 of them standing the entire time. This old couple begged them to sit down. They responded with “*#$%@& you old man, talk to my ticket agent. We can stand the entire game.” The couple moved down a few rows in empty seats :\

Having your girl at the game can be a drag sometimes. If people want wholesome fun with your family or girl then you spend the $80 to sit lower bowl. I see cheering as an outlet to heckle and get the crowd into it, with only 7% cursing I feel I’m child safe. The synchronized cheerers are the annoying pricks.

And I quote my friend two years ago:

“Can you please stop cursing? I have a child here.”
“Maybe don’t bring your kid to a f*cking hockey game!”

It was an opposing fan and the kid was 13 so my friend received a high-five.

Being rowdy in the line is one thing. It is important to be kind and civil to your opponent’s fans so when you win it stings that much more.

Posted by Nicholas Lorenzi on 11/15/11 at 05:00 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

“If you don’t want to have to deal with assholes who ruin the fun for everybody, spend more money!”

... no wonder nobody goes to Blue Jackets games.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 11/15/11 at 05:08 PM ET

Nicholas Lorenzi's avatar

... no wonder nobody goes to Blue Jackets games.

Yea….that’s why….

Posted by Nicholas Lorenzi on 11/15/11 at 05:19 PM ET

@Nick

Can I call you Nick? Do you prefer Nicholas?

Here is my argument against getting blackout/vomitously drunk at hockey games.

My opinion may be skewed, since I go to a lot of games, I don’t show up early anymore unless there is a good give away(like a patrick kane mouthguard, which I plan on wearing in the office). I pretty much show up right before puck drop, in just enough time to be in my seat before the anthem. So I don’t wait in line much anymore, thats less of a reason for me to be drunk I guess.

In hockey, there is a lot less down time than in other sports. Lets look at the other sports in the big 4, starting with the only other sport being played this winter…Football. In football play comes to a stop after every down, time outs at every change in possession, its very choppy. And because of its choppiness I think its a lot easier to provide a recap of what your friend missed while he is pissing/vomiting in the john.

In Baseball, there is the same thing, soooooo much down time, warm ups every inning, slow walks to the mound…SO BORING…yet I still go to the games and get hammered(cubs fan, stereotype, whatever)

Basketball is the only sport that allows music to be played DURING THE GAME! That should tell you enough about how entertaining it is. I still watch the bulls, but HOLY SHIT, basketball is boring.(except for the 4th quarter…only point in which I will actually watch the game)

Hockey just flows to me. You go to the john and its a lot harder to sum up everything that happened while you were gone. Its also a lot harder to follow the puck when the whole arena is spinning. If you have a crappy team, I can see where it would make things more enjoyable. But to me, you just miss so much in hockey if you arent paying attention. If I am paying to go to a game, I am going to take it all in and I won’t be so bored I need to drink. If I want to get hammered and watch a game I will just go to a bar.

Sorry for my long incoherent rant…I just feel like hockey is the one sport where you might as well just not go to the game if all you are going to do is get hammered. At least at the NHL level. Now the AHL…thats a whole nother story

Posted by pstumba on 11/15/11 at 06:29 PM ET

Nicholas Lorenzi's avatar

Oh dude, there’s a fine line between hammered and throwing up. I won’t leave to piss EVER. I’ll piss in a bottle before I do that. The only reason I really goto the bathroom is to dump vodka in my soda.

I agree with your statement. Hockey is fast and it’s REALLY easy to miss something, and I really hate missing something. I usually bring $27 to games, 3 beers for 3 periods. If I run out of beer I just wait til the next period, it is very important to show up already buzzed when you’re watching the Blue Jackets. Maybe it’s a Columbus thing but it really softens the blow of a loss.

I’m the same way. March is the only month where basketball seems exciting.

Posted by Nicholas Lorenzi on 11/15/11 at 06:51 PM ET

redxblack's avatar

I went to a pens/wings game in Pittsburgh. The yinzers were almost all well behaved, as I had my Paul Coffey sweater on. On our way back to the car, some douche in a blackhawks sweater and hat rolled up in a car and started screaming DETROIT SUCKS at my wife and myself. I’ve never wished as much as I did at that moment to have the superpower to render others sterile. The thought of that guy reproducing bums me out.

Posted by redxblack from Akron Ohio on 11/15/11 at 09:18 PM ET

I had 300 level season tickets 4 years ago. Then we almost made the playoffs and the price went way up. When the Hawks stunk people were civil even if they were not sober. I noticed as the Hawks became more popular the nut cases and jane and johnny come lately fans suddenly were die hard hawk fans all since they were 24 which was one year ago. These “new” Hawk fans have not been around enough to appreciate the game. Instead they go to party and act well questionable. I saw the same thing happen with the Cubs. When the Cubs were winning all the “die hards” came and walked around, talked to their friends, but never watched the game.

As much as I love live hockey not having to put up with the crap is a joy.

Go Hawks

Frank

Posted by Frank from Chicago on 11/15/11 at 10:10 PM ET

bezukov's avatar

...Gonna have to take umbrage to that comment…

Posted by bezukov from the kids are alright. on 11/16/11 at 12:24 AM ET

perfection's avatar

as a chicago based wings fan i can tell you it’s the 300 level seats that are the problem. i’ve been to probably 25 Hawks games and 23 of those we’re spent in the nosebleeds… once in standing room which was a whole other story. twice i had the good fortune to sit in the lower bowl, once against the Wings and once against the Stars. the Stars game I sat in the second row. it was a whole amazing wonderland of kindness and people talking knowledgeably about hockey, nobody was puking, nobody tried to fight you for cheering for your team’s goals… those tix are $80 for a reason is all I’m saying. I’ve had some experiences in the $15 seats to say the least.

one game, 6 or 7 years ago, the Red WIngs stomped the Hawks and as we walked out a wasted Hawks fan slurred something about how at least he didn’t have to go back to Detroit and when I politely told him that I’ve actually lived a couple miles from the stadium for several years and am just a Wings fan because I grew up in Detroit, he got right into my face and said, and I quote , “oh? you wanna get your ass kicked or something?”

and speaking of Hawks/Wings games at United Center… there was a time before the Hawks won the championship where they couldn’t give tickets away and not only could you get a ticket at the gate for $10, but the crowd, which always eventually sold out for Wings games, would literally be half Hawks fans and half Wings fans. It’s rare to see that kind of “world cup-esque” environment at an American sporting event because home crowd is generally a tactical advantage, but there would be rowdy chants back and forth between the fans, but there was definitely less drunken violence because all of the Hawks fans that were there were REAL hockey fans coming out to support their awful team with its horrible owner. you could actually sit wearing the opposite jersey as the guy next to you and debate new rules with him or discuss who should win the Norris or what surprise team would make the playoffs.

Today at a Hawks/Wings game guys will scream “DETROIT SUCKS” in my face as loud and threatening as they can, yet the rest of the game I hear them asking their friend who each player on the Hawks is and how good they are. I know more about their team then they do because I actually LOVE hockey and I even go to Hawks games all of the time against ANY team because it’s FRIGGIN NHL HOCKEY. it’s a beautiful game to watch. Fu*$ the drunk violent a-holes that try to ruin it.

Posted by perfection from LaLaLand on 11/17/11 at 03:25 AM ET