Talk'n Hawks

NHL Sweaters,—Past & Current

Here’s just a thought that I had. Hearing the GREAT news of the Winter Classic Game being played at “The Big House”, in Ann Arbor—Leafs / Wings, I told my son about it. “We should try and go”, he said. Living in Chicago, the trip is of course, about 4 1/2 hours. This is depending on the weather and how you drive. “We’ll have to get some Leafs jersey’s first”, I said kidding him. “Leafs SUCK”, he said, repeating the chant, from Ottawa, at the All Star Game this year. So it made me think. Every NHL city has at least ONE hated rival, some multiple. Here’s my question to all that read this. Name your city, and the team that you would LEAST wear a jersey of. Then, tell me, both past and present, if you ABSOLUTELY had to, whose jersey would you wear?

I’ll start it off. I live in Chicago, Wearing a WINGS sweater would be torture, to say the least. But, without a doubt, a would wear the # 9, Gordie Howe sweater, in a heart beat. For the current WINGS, no question, Lidstrom. Tell me yours. This is just for fun. I don’t need to hear how you’d rather die than participate. Keep it to yourself, tough guy.

Filed in: | Talk'n Hawks | Permalink

Comments

HockeytownOverhaul's avatar

Ducks, I could NEVER wear a ducks jersey.  Ever.

with a 1b of Sharks and Penguins at a solid number 3.

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 02/10/12 at 01:04 PM ET

HockeytownOverhaul's avatar

if I had to wear another teams jersey that wasn’t the greatest team in pro sports?  Rangers

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 02/10/12 at 01:05 PM ET

BettmenSucks79's avatar

I live in the Twin Cities, and wouldn’t be caught dead in a Wild jersey.  Player if I had to would probably be Gaborik. 1b. is definately Pittsburgh.

Posted by BettmenSucks79 on 02/10/12 at 01:09 PM ET

redxblack's avatar

I live in Akron and I’d never wear a Penguins jersey. Since the Cleveland Browns moved to Baltimore, and the expansion team has sucked, bandwagoneers have become Pittsburgh sports fans across the board. Some d-bag in a steelers shirt wanted to fight me in a bar because I was wearing a Yzerman sweater (on the day #19 was inducted into the HHoF). I can’t stand Pbgh sport fans.

If I absolutely had to, I could wear a Blue Jackets sweater. I might puke on it a little, but ... I’d like to see CBJ be a successful franchise. It would be good for the state and good for the sport. Still, I can’t seem to bring myself to support them. People tell me “But they’re the local team - you have to!” and I tell them I was a Wings fan before CBJ even existed. True till death!

Posted by redxblack from Akron Ohio on 02/10/12 at 01:11 PM ET

Just a thought here, but I take the train to Chicago when I go. It cuts down on the travel time, (3hrs from Ann Arbor), and there are plenty cars to rent in the area.

Posted by geoffrey pelkey from Saginaw on 02/10/12 at 01:23 PM ET

Being a hawks fan, I wouldn’t wear a Nucks jersey…ever. NEVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER.

If I had to pick a player from the past, it would be Murray Bannerman(only played 1 period for them, but it counts!)

Current, Corey Schneider.

Granted this is more based on current hatred than all time hatred. I wouldnt willingly wear a Wings jersey, but they have enough players that I wouldnt mind wearing the jersey of. There are few worse things I can think of than wearing a Tkachuk Blues jersey. I absolutely hated that POS when he was with the Blues. (yeah, I know, I woulda loved him if he was on my team, most likely true)

Posted by pstumba on 02/10/12 at 01:25 PM ET

HAWKS SUCK.  NO ONE HERE CARES ABOUT THEM OR YOUR WRITING

Posted by DAN on 02/10/12 at 01:31 PM ET

As a Wings fan, I would never wear a Avs jersey, with Sharks coming a close second

For an Avs jerseys I would wear, I guess a Sakic is too obvious, but its my pick

Posted by Zqto from Brazil on 02/10/12 at 01:37 PM ET

NHLJeff's avatar

I am a Pens fan and grew up with the Avs as my secondary team because I loved Sakic and Roy, so of course, I could never ever ever wear a Wings jersey.  If I absolutely had to, it would be an Yzerman jersey.

Posted by NHLJeff from Pens fan in Chicago, IL on 02/10/12 at 02:08 PM ET

redxblack's avatar

I think I misunderstood the second part. The only Pens sweater I might wear would be either Paul Coffey or Larry Murphy. ; )

Posted by redxblack from Akron Ohio on 02/10/12 at 02:29 PM ET

Chris in Hockey Hell's avatar

I currently have over 70 jerseys in my collection. I’m attempting to slowly acquire jerseys for every team in the league. Unfortunately, that means having the sweaters of teams I absolutely hate in my closet. I own jerseys for the Sharts, Dive (this one was a gift, thankfully), *ucks, Wild, Predaterds, BJs, Bruins, Pen(i)s, Thrashers, Flames (Atlanta Flames, thank you), Canucks (Flying V jersey included), Laffs (throwback), BBBBBs (70’s throwback), Rangers (Vintage wool sweater), Panthers, etc.

Since I live here in Tennessee and practically no one knows who these other teams are, I can actually wear some of these out in public every so often (for the record, I’ve never worn the Dive jersey) without worrying about getting any shit about it. Obviously I wear my Wings gear 99.9% of the time when I do wear jerseys and I get 100 times as many “Go Wings!” comments as I get “Wings Suck!” stuff from Nashville “fans”.

The sweater I wear most besides my Wings stuff is my Toronto throwback. If I had one, I would wear a Habs jersey if I had to choose another because my family on my father’s side came to the United States for the Montreal/Trois Rivieres area. Hockey is more or less in the blood.

Posted by Chris in Hockey Hell from Ann Arbor, MI but LIVING in Columbia, TN on 02/10/12 at 02:49 PM ET

I’ll bite.

Being a Wings fan and living in Northern Ontario had turned me into a huge Leafs hater.  To quote my father “I love watching the Wings win almost as much as I love watching the Leafs lose.”

If I had to I guess a Gilmour jersey… but just the thought of wearing the blue and white makes me gag.

1b) Hawks 1c) Nucks

Posted by JHVR on 02/10/12 at 02:54 PM ET

Paul's avatar

HAWKS SUCK.  NO ONE HERE CARES ABOUT THEM OR YOUR WRITING

Posted by DAN on 02/10/12 at 10:31 AM ET

Do you really think a comment like that was necessary?

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 02/10/12 at 03:00 PM ET

Only team I really HATE is the Flyers (or FlyWHORES arous my house). That being said, 24/7 softened me up on them. Being a penguins fan I’m morally (and I think legally) obligated to hate the Flyers. If I HAD to wear the orange creamsicle colored uniform of a puppy drowner, it would have to be Hartnell. He’s a good egg, period.

Posted by Stephanjones from Alasla on 02/10/12 at 03:22 PM ET

Huge Red Wings fan.  Could never wear a Hawks or an Avalanche sweater (dead rivalry now, but it was great when I first started to watch the game).  If i had to, Bobby Hull or Patrick Roy.

Posted by Mike O'Keefe from Detroit on 02/10/12 at 03:27 PM ET

Jeff  OKWingnut's avatar

Great thread Vince.  Huge Wings fan, I wouldn’t be caught dead in an Avalanche Sweater.  If I had to wear one though, that is easy, Joe Sakic was the only decent thing about that franchise.

Posted by Jeff OKWingnut from Quest for 12 on 02/10/12 at 03:42 PM ET

DocF's avatar

I’ve been following the Red Wings since 1946.  I have a Howe #9 which I wear when the team needs a special boost.

I must admit, I would choke on it, but I do think the Blackhawks sweater is the second best.

I hate much of the NHL, starting with the Canadiens, the Boston Broons, and most of the modern teams except the semi-beloved and very woebegone Hurricanes.

If I were forced to wear an alternate sweater, it would be from the Sault Ste. Marie Greyhounds.  Probably Ron Francis.

Doc

Posted by DocF from Now: Lynn Haven, FL; was Reidsville, NC on 02/10/12 at 04:03 PM ET

bezukov's avatar

If difficult for me to say which team I hate the most.  If I had to wear another team’s jersey, it would probably be Maurice Richard’s or maybe Bobby Hull.

Posted by bezukov from the kids are alright. on 02/10/12 at 04:16 PM ET

tuxedoTshirt's avatar

As a Nuck man, there isn’t much contest.  It’s the Boston Brutes.  But half of my family is from Massachussettes so I could where an Orr.  It would be hard though.  Much as I hate the Khawks, they do have a ballin’ jersey.

Posted by tuxedoTshirt from the Home of the 1937 World Champions on 02/10/12 at 04:30 PM ET

Behind_Enemy_Lines's avatar

I live in Chicago and wear my Wings stuff all the time, nobody really says much. I hate every team that is not the Wings. Little brother, Quebec, Pittsburgh, *ucks, and the Laughs get the most hate from me. Since I live in Chicago I guess wearing a Hawks jersey would be the most painful at this point in my life. If that was going to be that case, I would wear Bobby Hull or Stan Mikita.

Posted by Behind_Enemy_Lines from Evanston,IL on 02/12/12 at 04:39 PM ET