Talk'n Hawks

Halfway There

It seemed like I was waiting forever for training camp to start. Now, game wise, we’re half way through it. The Hawks fell to 1 - 3 yesterday losing to Detroit. More about that in a minute.

Before camp started I was hoping for a “dark horse” to have a chance to make the team through skill and effort. We may be looking at more of a “stable” than just one horse.

Horse number one (almost literally) is Jimmy Hayes. The 6 foot 5 inch, 210 pound winger has made his presence known. Jimmy was the 60th overall pick in the 2010 draft. He was acquired by the Hawks this March, 2011 from Toronto. The former Boston College player played well again, getting 2 points against the Wings. A goal, with a nifty fore hand, back hand maneuver close in, and a game tying assist in the third period.

Horse number two is Brandon Saad. Sound familiar? I’ve talked about him before. The 18 year old, second round, 43rd overall player picked in the 2012 Draft, is the youngest Hawk still on the roster. (The roster should be down to under 30 later on today, btw)  Saad who also wears number 43, (coincidence?)  has played consistently well through the preseason. Lokk for both of them to be up and down from Rockford should they not make the final cut.

Now, back to yesterday. The Hawks lost to Detroit in a shoot out yesterday in front of thousands of red seats. It was fun to hear Pat Foley and Edzo together again. The were their usual selves, cracking me (and each) other up through out the broadcast. One of the points of interest from the game included Alexander Salak playing the entire contest. (Crawford is slated to play all of Wednesday’s game & Emery all of Friday’s contest.) Right now, I’d give a slight edge to Salak in the back up battle—remember too, he has a contract, Emery doesn’t. Pirri, had a short handed goal (a nifty high face off circle slap shot) and two assists. He also scored in the shoot out, the Hawks lone goal. Frolik scored short handed also. I was surprised after Frolik failed to convert on two break aways, that Coach Q, used him in the shoot out. But hey, how many Stanley Cup Champions have I coached?

One more note, Ben Smith has ditched his number 57 from last year and is now wearing # 28.

Filed in: Chicago Blackhawks, | Talk'n Hawks | Permalink

Comments

OlderThanChelios's avatar

Do you get paid by the word?

fore hand = forehand
back hand = backhand
shoot out = shootout
through out = throughout
face off = faceoff
short handed = short-handed
break aways - breakaways

I have to give you that one, though. That was pretty good.

Posted by OlderThanChelios from Grand Rapids, MI on 09/26/11 at 02:31 PM ET

Vince Maranto's avatar

I only go by what spell check tells me to do… or if you prefer spellcheck.

Posted by Vince Maranto on 09/26/11 at 02:42 PM ET

Brandon Saad can only play with the blackhawks or back in juniors, he is too young to play in the ahl, my guess he will head back to juniors with not enough ice time for him with big club.

Posted by pucksnut from Chicago on 09/26/11 at 03:15 PM ET

OlderThanChelios's avatar

I only go by what spell check tells me to do…

Then your spell-checker can’t spell any better than you can:
back hand = backhand.

Posted by OlderThanChelios from Grand Rapids, MI on 09/26/11 at 03:51 PM ET

@OlderThanChelios

troll much there buddy?

and by the way, back and hand are both valid words, what YOU probably meant to say was that his grammar checker must suck, because that would be what would catch those errors. Good effort there though, looking for things to try to make him look stupid. Hating must be a full time job for you.

Posted by pstumba on 09/26/11 at 04:46 PM ET

OlderThanChelios's avatar

...back and hand are both valid words, what YOU probably meant to say was that his grammar checker must suck…

The way he used those two words was a spelling mistake. From the way you write, it’s not surprising that you don’t get that.

...looking for things to try to make him look stupid.

No need to look for them. They jump right off the screen at you.

And the only thing I “hate” is seeing someone pretending to be a writer who can’t write.

Posted by OlderThanChelios from Grand Rapids, MI on 09/26/11 at 06:07 PM ET

@OTC

Apparently you can’t read and don’t use a word processor. Spell check is not meant to catch those errors, like I said. That would be a grammar check. Is it a spelling error, yes, but that’s not how a computer treats it. Please feel free to point out any problems with my writing as you have implied that there are many, but have not come up with any.

No one makes you read his articles, nor do they make you comment on them. So maybe you should just stop reading them. Write your own blog if you are so good at writing. You are coming off like an A-hole, but that seems to be your bag, so good for you.

Posted by pstumba on 09/26/11 at 06:26 PM ET

OlderThanChelios's avatar

Is it a spelling error, yes, but that’s not how a computer treats it.

So you’re saying my original point is valid, but you take issue with the fact that I referred to Marantz’s point about using a spell-checker instead of just saying something about his inability to catch simple spelling errors on his own. Point noted.

No one makes you read his articles…

I quit reading his Hawks-only drivel after the first couple of weeks. And I wouldn’t have read this one if it hadn’t involved the Wings.

It’s always interesting when people resort to personal attacks when they disapprove of someone’s comments about another’s actions (like his/her writing ability).

Posted by OlderThanChelios from Grand Rapids, MI on 09/26/11 at 08:46 PM ET

Vince Maranto's avatar

You know, normally I take the approach that the eagle does not hunt flies, but I’ve seen enough. How stupid are you if you continue to read me and get aggravated by every word? If there is a show on TV or radio that I don’t like, guess what , I don’t watch or listen to it. I have worked exclusively as a stand up comedian for over 30 years. I write all my material and have never had a problem making a VERY comfortable living. Come over to my PAID OFF 5,000 square foot, 5 bedroom house some time. This is in an affluent area of Chicago, by the way. I do this for Hawks fans who do not have the free time that I do, only working around an hour a day. Come to one of my shows and tell me that you think that I can’t write, then let’s see what happens.  I check the comments for chat amongst Hawks fans, not to read picky comments about grammar or spelling. Those who criticize, can not do.

Posted by Vince Maranto on 09/27/11 at 12:03 AM ET

OlderThanChelios's avatar

Oh, okay, now I see what I was missing…

Clearly your house proves you’re a competent writer – in spite of what you produce here in your blog. My mistake.

Ah, a threat of violence. Again, clear evidence of your great writing ability.

Those who criticize, can not do.

Please. That’s the lamest line ever. It’s akin to: “Those who can’t do, teach.” I would think a comedian, especially an “affluent” one like you, could think of something more original.

Posted by OlderThanChelios from Grand Rapids, MI on 09/27/11 at 01:28 AM ET