Talk'n Hawks

Goalie Interference???

The other night, during a Hawks game, there was a goalie interference penalty. Crawford was well out of the crease, but hey, the Hawks need all the help they can get these days. In all seriousness, I thought it was a bad call. Then tonight, while watching the Bruins / Canadiens game, there were 4 goalie interference calls in the first 2 periods alone!

This is really getting out of control. Granted, when you netminder is in the blue paint, he should be protected, no question. But, why should the goaltender have rights to any areas outside the crease. What is the crease for then? I don’t understand why any other skater should have to yield the “right of way” outside the paint.

If anything, the goalie should be hit with an interference call,  not the other way around. The crease was meant to protect the goalie. Keep it that way. Outside of it, he should be treated like any other skater. Hell, in the old days you left the crease at your own risk. I’m not suggesting that but just saying that the pendulum has swung out to far and needs to swing back.

Filed in: | Talk'n Hawks | Permalink

Comments

This issue has been settled already. I’m curious to know what “old days” you are referring to because I’ve been watching hockey for a long time and the goalie has NEVER been fair game.

Posted by From The Hockey Wastelands from Cleveland on 02/15/12 at 11:59 PM ET

Vince Maranto's avatar

I didn’t realize that it was settled, through out the entire NHL, in between the 2nd & 3rd period. Thanks for the update. As far as the old days, in the mid 60’s, I saw many goalies bashed into, when they ventured into what is now outside the “trapezoid” behind the goal line. Not to mention personal experiences in the early 70’s.

Posted by Vince Maranto on 02/16/12 at 12:28 AM ET

DocF's avatar

I can’t really remember back to the 50s regarding goalie interference, but I do know that if one was stupid enough to run Sawchuck he would be speared with the butt end of a goalie stick.  Then two very mean guys, one small and one large would try to rip the offender in half.  The fear of retribution from Mr. Howe and Mr. Lindsay kept most players honest.

Doc

Posted by DocF from Now: Lynn Haven, FL; was Reidsville, NC on 02/16/12 at 01:17 AM ET

Vince Maranto's avatar

YES, exactly. It was self policed back then. There would not be a goalie interference call. That is my point.. The goalie knew his area, respected it, and if any one intruded upon it, they were dealt with.  He also did not venture into areas which were INTRUSIVE to skaters.

Posted by Vince Maranto on 02/16/12 at 01:44 AM ET

Yeah the 60s and 70s. That’s TOTALLY relevant to 2012.  Oh and the issue was settled when they put the stupid trapezoid on the ice. Never understood why so many people don’t like goalies handling the puck or want them to be fair game.  Goalies handling the puck means LESS dump-ins. So unless you like Ken Hitchcock/Lou Lamoriello hockey goalies like Turco, Osgood and Brodeur are a good thing.  It’s just willful ignorance to imply that there hasn’t been an massive increase in goalie contact in the last season or two. Especially after Shanahan took a pass on that goon Lucic. I’m sure though that if Lucic runs Crawford and injures him you’ll be okay with that right?

Posted by From The Hockey Wastelands from Cleveland on 02/16/12 at 01:59 AM ET

Vince Maranto's avatar

If your thoughts were a plane landing, they would be off the runway. You will never understand that or anything else I have to say, so I will not comment again. But if you do talk to someone that has a brain, have them explain to you that when it comes to relevance, forget the 60’s & 70’s, READ the point of the blog. Goalie interference, in FRONT of the crease. it’s got NOTHING to do with a goalie handling the puck.

Posted by Vince Maranto on 02/16/12 at 02:45 AM ET

Vince, you were the one who brought up goalies who were behind the goal line and outside the trapezoid in the old days as previously being fair game.

Unless I’m misreading that.

Posted by Dan from Melbourne on 02/16/12 at 05:25 AM ET

Posted by Dan from Melbourne on 02/16/12 at 03:25 AM ET

Thanks Dan for saving me some time. Vince I would insult you personally as you have attempted to do with me but I grew up a long time ago. The simple fact of the matter is ALL FOUR of those penalties were penalties. They were penalties in the eighties, they were penalties in the nineties and they are still penalties now. If that puts your panties in a bunch why not watch basketball. You picked a weird pastime for someone with such a thin skin. If you happen to speak to someone who isn’t such an arrogant ass, they might explain to you that other people have opinions too and sometimes those people will vastly out number you. Obviously the NHL disagrees with you and for that I’m extremely thankful.

Posted by From The Hockey Wastelands from Cleveland on 02/16/12 at 10:11 AM ET

For the record, it looked to me like on every call last night the goaltenders were in the paint. Pacioretty didn’t even have the puck when he flew over Thomas’ back and that was the one call the announcers were most incredulous about. I know Montreal is supposed to have protected franchise status and Thomas is currently persona non grata with many in the media, but I couldn’t believe that they actually felt that was a legal play, Failure to call the game correctly in the past, has no bearing on how the game should be called either.

Posted by hockey1919 from mid-atlantic on 02/16/12 at 10:50 AM ET

statelouis26's avatar

I agree with the author but with one qualification:  the goalie is fair game and should be as a skater above the red line.  Behind the red line he is protected.  This would eliminate the stupid trapezoid while still curbing goalies overplaying the puck.

Posted by statelouis26 from Detroit, MI on 02/16/12 at 11:15 PM ET

statelouis26's avatar

Goalies handling the puck means less dump-ins but that also means less offensive zone time.  This plays into the hands of trap teams that force teams to dump in for offense.  Further proof that this comment is ignorant?  Lumping Osgood in as puck-handling goalie.  Ha!

Posted by statelouis26 from Detroit, MI on 02/16/12 at 11:19 PM ET

Posted by statelouis26 from Detroit, MI on 02/16/12 at 09:19 PM ET

Dude if you don’t think Osgood was one of the better puck handlers of his era then either YOU"RE ignorant or you don’t understand what your watching. Oh and less dump-ins translates into less offense? That’s one of the most baffling things I’ve ever read on this site. There is less offensive possession time now because teams dump the puck in and spend 30 seconds of their 45 second shift getting it back. IMO that has had as much to do with the current “parity” in the league as the cap.

Posted by From The Hockey Wastelands from Cleveland on 02/17/12 at 12:30 AM ET

Oh and if you guys get your way every goalie coming out to cut down an angle will be looking at his feet instead of the puck. Every dirtbag would wait for the first opportunity to plow the tender the second he stepped two inches outside the crease to make a save. Brilliant suggestion. Injuries galore! The rules are fine the way they are but thanks for the suggestion.

Posted by From The Hockey Wastelands from Cleveland on 02/17/12 at 12:36 AM ET

I always figured that when out of the crease if the goalie bumps into stationary skater all is well, skater hits stationary goalie there’s a penalty, and if both skater and goalie are moving and collide then play it by ear. Obviously not always that simple, especially with dmen pushing forwards into their goalie, but it makes sense to me.

Posted by Dan from Melbourne on 02/17/12 at 01:03 AM ET

I’m a goalie, but think a goalie should still be treated like a forward when he leaves the crease or blue paint or whatever they change it to next year. Makes it more exciting when he does venture out. And he can never depend on the refs to protect him anywhere. As my HS coach once told me back then:  “Life isn’t fair; it won’t be fair on the hockey rink either.”

Posted by MR ZERO from Chicago on 02/17/12 at 02:45 AM ET