Talk'n Hawks

A Fun One to Watch!

I don’t even know where to begin on the game between the Hawks & Penguins (in Pittsburgh) on Tuesday night. OK, the score, Pens won 3-2. This however does not even begin to tell the story. I cannot remember the last time, or if even ever for that matter, that I came away from a loss feeling so good. You know you’re watching a special game when the national announcer (Doc) says, “Wow, this is fun!” The energy that the Hawks showed during the 3rd period made the time just fly by.Not to mention the great saves by Fleury, the near misses and the shots off the post!  The last couple of minutes saw the Hawks on the Power Play and an extra attacker for the pulled goalie. However, in the end, the Hawks did come up a goal short for the loss.

Within the game, and especially during the 3rd period there were different line combinations. (To note Carcillo is still out with an injury, Kruger left the game, and Jeremy Morin has been brought up from Rockford, while Ben Smith was sent back down) We saw Kane back at center again for a while with Hossa and Stalberg. Also Toews centered Sharp and Brunette for a while. Both of these are interesting lines. It was Emery, 6th straight start against the 16-7-2, Marc-Andre Fleury.

On to the the periods. In the first, the Hawks had 3 Penalty Kill (77.7% , 27th, to start the game) Kunitz scored, all alone, on one of them. The other 2 P.K.“s had the Hawks yielding 0 and 1 shots on goal.  Scott was ejected after a 2 minute instigator, 5 minute fighting, (mercifully stopped by the officials after Scott drew blood on his undersized opponent) and a 10 minute misconduct. There seems to be a very grey area here. I have seen a guy go after some one after a legit hit on a team mate and nothing but coincidental fighting penalties ensue. In this case after a very questionable hit (Engelland), Scott comes to the aid and is ejected. I don’t get it. Anyway, the Hawks ended the period with a carry over Power Play They were out shot 13-10 and score remained 1-0.

The second period saw 3 more Penalty Kills, by the Hawks (6 so far).  Neal scored for the Pens on a 2 on 1, 3 minutes in to go up 2-0. Kennedy put one past Emery (no chance) to make the score 3-0 as they headed for the locker room. It pretty much looked like this one was over.

Toews scored early in the 3rd period (what you needed to even have a chance. A pass to Stalberg at the side of the net went in off a skate.The Satlberg. Kane. Hossa line made it 3-2. Stalberg, again rang one off the post, but no good. I was an exciting period to watch, but as mentioned already, 0 points were to be had.

It’s the Habs tonight, we’ll see what line combos stay and who’s in goal later on.

Filed in: Chicago Blackhawks, | Talk'n Hawks | Permalink

Comments

Scott wasn’t ejected, he was given the 10:00 misconduct that comes with an instigator penalty - he played later in the game.

Posted by NathanBC on 12/21/11 at 04:05 PM ET

MsRedWinger's avatar

Really?  You didn’t realize that the Pens and Hawks are the NHL’s and Versus network’s favorite teams?

Posted by MsRedWinger from Flori-duh on 12/21/11 at 04:38 PM ET

I thought the whole John Scott thing was a joke !  The hit was dirty, Engelland was already back on his feet and had dropped his gloves when he saw Scott coming in.  How is that an instigator for John Scott?  What should have been a power play for the Hawks became one for the Pens instead.  Pathetic !  I thought that kind of blatant “home team officiating” only happened in San Jose where if they are ever behind mid-way through the game, it seems like an automatic continuous series of power plays until they even it back up. (Believe me I lived there, it was really lame to see).  Of course, Pitss scores on the un-waranted power play and gets all the momentum.  Just one more reason why the instigator rule should be shelved or at least heavily modified.  I can see if there is a blatant, unwaranted attack on someone, but coming to the defense of a teammate after a dirty hit should be acceptable.  Let the players police themselves.  After last nights game, it’s obvious the officials can’t do it.

Posted by sean_o_sean on 12/21/11 at 04:59 PM ET

@MsRedWinger

Actually, the wings have more games on NBC/VS than the hawks do… by about 3 or 4 games…

Posted by pstumba on 12/21/11 at 05:01 PM ET

Nathan is correct, Scott did play later in the game(it scares me when he pays in the second period cause he always seems to get stuck out there cause he cant get back to the bench)

Scott is a great story this year, his play is MUCH improved over last year. He has been putting in a lot of hard work on his skating and stick handling and it has definitely paid off. He still isn’t a great d-man by any means, but its no longer a sure thing to score while he is out there.

Scott made a great play in the 3rd in a footrace to the puck. Normally you could just put the goal up on the board cause there would be no way John would get back there, but he made the race close and used his reach to knock the puck away resulting in no scoring chance.

I also agree with Sean on how the instigator penalty was handled. I’ve seen plenty of cases where it wasnt handed out in similar situations. Engelland got his gloves off first, no advantage was won by either side in the start. Maybe John was just gonna go shove him???(yeah right…) Its like skating towards someone now means you instigate a fight, I really don’t like it one bit.

For those out there that might think Scott is just a goon, listen to an interview with him. First time I heard him talk I had no idea who was talking. He is funny, intelligent, entertaining, I WAS SHOCKED! The man has more charisma than 35 Sidney Crosbys. I hope he keeps improving his game, enough to at least keep him with the team as a scratch most nights.

/end John Scott love rant

Posted by pstumba on 12/21/11 at 05:16 PM ET

Yeah…..the guy is 6’10 and he flat out attacks people.  He has never been in a fight where the other guy consented to it.  Sounds like a real good move to get rid of the instigator.  So I guess every team needs a seven foot ogre?  That’s an arms race I’m not too keen to see.

Posted by tuxedoTshirt on 12/21/11 at 07:02 PM ET

Vince Maranto's avatar

You’re right guys, I typed it in wrong and shouldn’t have used the word ejected, Sorry, I hate to give misinformation & will correct it. Thanks.

Posted by Vince Maranto on 12/21/11 at 07:29 PM ET

Since he has been a blackhawk I have yet to see him jump someone. If you think he jumped Engelland then you are just plain blind…

You dont want to fight John Scott, don’t drop the gloves, the guy has been nothing but honorable since joining the hawks. He even lets up on people when they are completely vulnerable(see his most recent fight against the ducks, had the guy down on one knee but let him up). Is he an angel? No. Is he an ogre? definitely not. Show me a fight where he jumped someone in the last 2 years?

I need to make it my new years resolution to not respond to trolls…

Posted by pstumba on 12/21/11 at 07:33 PM ET