by PuckStopsHere on 07/03/09 at 03:18 AM ET
A while back I posted the top 20 adjusted +/- ratings using a counting stat method developed in the Hockey Compendium by Jeff Z. Klein and Karl-Eric Reif.
Here are the worst 20 players last season according to their adjusted +/- ratings. This group is limited to players who played at least 50 games last season and played only for one team - that is necessary for the method to give good results.
1. Rod Brind’Amour Carolina Hurricanes -23.6
2. Brendan Witt New York Islanders -22.6
3. Jay Pandolfo New Jersey Devils -19.6
4. Kris Draper Detroit Red Wings -19.0
5. Rob Niedermayer Anaheim Ducks -18.6
6. Brad Boyes St Louis Blues -17.2
7. Matt D’Agostini Montreal Canadiens -16.0
8. Christian Ehrhoff San Jose Sharks -15.2
9. Cam Barker Chicago Blackhawks -15.0
Kirk Maltby Detroit Red Wings -15.0
11. John Madden New Jersey Devils -14.6
12. Stephane Veilleux Minnesota Wild -14.4
13. Barret Jackman St Louis Blues -14.2
Brett McLean Florida Panthers -14.2
15. Ron Hainsey Atlanta Thrashers -14.0
Shawn Thornton Boston Bruins -14.0
17. Kris Russell Columbus Blue Jackets -13.6
Maxime Talbot Pittsburgh Penguins -13.6
RJ Umberger Columbus Blue Jackets -13.6
20. Todd Bertuzzi Calgary Fames -13.4
There is not a player among this bunch that anyone would confuse with an all star. Many players on this list are failed shut down players. If a player is consistently played against the best offences their opponents have and not stopping them from scoring this will hurt their +/-. Players in this group include Kris Draper, Kirk Maltby, Jay Pandolfo, John Madden, Stephane Veilleux, Rob Niedermayer and the leader Rod Brind’Amour. This is a list of players who failed in their NHL roles during the regular season last year.
Be the first to comment.
Add a Comment
Please limit embedded image or media size to 575 pixels wide.
Most Recent Blog Posts
About The Puck Stops Here
Who am I? A diehard hockey fan.
Why am I blogging? I want to.
Why are you reading it? ???