The Puck Stops Here

Thrasher Fans Still Owed Ticket Deposits

The Atlanta Thrashers are no longer an NHL team.  However controversy still exists surrounding them.  Many fans are still owed money that they put down on tickets for the 2011/12 season.  Here is an article on the situation.  It seems that the Atlanta Spirit Group is delaying as long as possible to refund money.  People who put sufficient pressure on the group to force a refund have been recently paid, but many have not received their money yet.

From the article:

A disgruntled Atlanta Thrasher season ticket holder told Channel 2 consumer investigator Jim Strickland that it’s been a big hassle trying to get his refund on next season’s deposit.

Strickland discovered gauging the scope of the problem was a hassle too.

“It’s just been one excuse after another. Where’s my money at? Where’s my refund? It’s been well over a month from the time it was guaranteed to be sent back to me,” complained fan Brad Lyons.

Strickland called Lyons’ ticket representative. James Desmond refused comment and hung up the phone.

The Atlanta Thrasher website assures that money will be refunded after the NHL Board of Governors approves the sale and relocation of the Thrashers to Winnipeg.  That happened on June 21st and the website has not been updated and money has not been returned.

This is a final piece of bad news that the Atlanta Thrashers have given the NHL.  It is inexcusable and is attracting attention from the Better Business Bureau as well as possible lawsuits and law enforcement.

This is coming from an organization that was still trying to sell tickets one hour before the official announcement of a move to Winnipeg

The Atlanta Spirit Group has played fast and loose with the truth in order to try to get people to pay for tickets in the 2011/12 NHL season for a franchise they knew wouldn’t exist and then has delayed as long as possible the return of the money.  They have refused to communicate with the fans they owe as to what is going on.  I think this behaviour is criminal.  It is one final black eye they are putting on hockey in the Atlanta market.

Filed in: | The Puck Stops Here | Permalink

Comments

Wow.  I guess I shouldn’t be surprised, given that this ownership group has been awful at best, but this is just horrible.  Why not add more salt to the wound?  It’s amazing the Thrashers had any fans with these clowns running them.

Posted by pens fan in baltimore on 07/17/11 at 02:50 PM ET

When anyone complains or claims that the move to Winnipeg shouldn’t have happened, I’m going to remind them of this little tid-bit…

Posted by Tom from CA on 07/17/11 at 03:40 PM ET

Posted by Tom from CA on 07/17/11 at 02:40 PM ET

The Thrashers needed new owners. They didn’t need to be moved.

Posted by blankspace6 on 07/17/11 at 03:58 PM ET

I hate the ASG as much as anyone, but to be fair I got my refund almost immediately after the BOG vote was taken and I know of others who have also gotten theirs. I don’t know what the other fans’ situations are so I can’t comment on why they haven’t gotten their refunds.

Posted by Fred Johnson on 07/17/11 at 03:59 PM ET

Chris in Hockey Hell's avatar

“The Thrashers needed new owners. They didn’t need to be moved.”

They did need new owners, but the fact that only 200 people showed up at the Save the Team rally in a city of that population says to me that even if the team hadn’t been moved this year, it would have been prolonging the inevitable.

Posted by Chris in Hockey Hell from Ann Arbor, MI but LIVING in Columbia, TN on 07/17/11 at 04:02 PM ET

Posted by Chris in Hockey Hell from COLUMBIA, TENNESSEE on 07/17/11 at 03:02 PM ET

That wasn’t a rally. That was a wake. A joke. Our team was already gone at that point and we knew that. That’s why so few people showed up to it. I didn’t. It was a BBQ with friends that most weren’t going to see anymore.

A reasonable ownership that actually showed some sort of commitment and didn’t seemingly degrade its product on purpose would have changed things entirely.

Posted by blankspace6 on 07/17/11 at 04:13 PM ET

Regardless, the owners took at least some money under false pretenses since they knew the team would be moving. That is a crime. Any money they took prior to the discussions of the sale of the team, should have been refunded within 30 days. After that they owe interest on any monies not refunded.

People can blame the NHL but it isn’t their fault or their problem. The owners of the team took the money and they are responsible for refunding it. I suggest the people who have not received their refunds get together, file in court and foreclose on the owner’s homes…..It’s been done (quite successfully) before. It’s amazing how fast you get your money back (plus court costs and attorney’s fees) when you lock a multi-millionaire out of his home…..

Posted by teri from Chester, Nova Scotia on 07/18/11 at 10:09 AM ET