The Puck Stops Here

Playoff MVP

Two days ago before the Los Angeles/Anaheim game was played I picked PK Subban as the reigning playoff MVP.  Probably he was surpassed during the Los Angeles victory in a few hours by Anze Kopitar.  Kopitar continues to play well and has an assist within the first minute of today's game.  Kopitar is currently at 14 points and that number may continue to grow during today's game.  This is a three point lead on anyone else in the playoffs.  For such offensive dominance - with very good defensive play as well - Anze Kopitar is my current leader in the Conn Smythe race.

Kopitar is a top player in the NHL.  If he can hold on to this Conn Smythe Trophy lead - which would require a significant Los Angeles playoff run - Kopitar would likely establish himself as a top NHL star.  He has the talent to make that a possibility.

Filed in: | The Puck Stops Here | Permalink

Comments

bigdee89's avatar

First I apologize if any of this seems harsh but I’ve come to expect a certain quality from Kuklaskorner.  This post and many others from you lack any real facts to backup your opinions.  It reads like something someone would post in the comments section.  I expect better.

You changed your nominee within 3 days and then you announce Kopitar is not a star?  I don’t understand any of your reasons (are there any?).  Please provide more facts to support.

You also had Rask nominated before Subban and Kopitar (2 games into the Bruins/Habs series and he’s out of the running?).  Please explain in greater detail.

“Probably he was surpassed…” and “that number may continue to grow” are statements that don’t really backup any points you’re trying to make.

Thoughts?

Posted by bigdee89 from The Great White North Eh? on 05/05/14 at 10:53 PM ET

PuckStopsHere's avatar

I have a question for you.  If the lead in a race changes frequently and I report on that lead change, is it my failing that the last guy I said was in the lead did not hold his lead indefinitely?  My reasoning for these posts as to who leads in several award races over the season is to generate data.  My question is when do the eventual winners for awards emerge?  Over several years of picking leaders (and picking new leaders) when the lead changes we will see patterns.

Fundamentally picking an MVP is an opinion.  It will be based on opinions (which you pointed out) and facts (Kopitar has a three point lead on any other player and plays strong defence).

If this doesn’t interest you, then don’t read it.  After all I didn’t write it for you.

Posted by PuckStopsHere on 05/05/14 at 11:22 PM ET

PuckStopsHere's avatar

As for Kopitar not being a star, you misunderstood.

What he isn’t is what I called a top star.  If i ask you to name the top five or ten players in hockey today, odds are you will not have Anze Kopitar on your list today.  He has the talent that he could change that.

Posted by PuckStopsHere on 05/05/14 at 11:26 PM ET

It’s so nice of you to respond to actual questions regarding your story by being a passive aggressive dick.

After all I didn’t write it for you.

Who do you write for?  You’re writing a public blog, presumably you’re writing for anyone who frequents the blog.  If that’s not the case then what’s the point of blogging?

If you don’t want comments maybe you should write in a spiral notebook that you can hide under your bed, taking it out every second day to write who your Conn Smythe pick is, followed but what your name would be if you married the owner of this blog.

“The Puck Stops Kukla”
“The Puck Kuklas Here”
The Kukla Stops Here”
“Greg Kukla”

God, you’re an *#$%@&.

Posted by Garth on 05/05/14 at 11:33 PM ET

PuckStopsHere's avatar

Garth

On the deepest level I am writing for me. If you enjoy reading it that is great.  If you don’t enjoy reading it, then why are you reading it?

I enjoy intelligent feedback.  On rare occasions you offer some.  I thank you for that.  Too bad today is not one of those occasions.

Posted by PuckStopsHere on 05/05/14 at 11:39 PM ET

Luongo-is-my-hero's avatar

1 week later…
2 weeks later.
at the beginning of the playoffs i chose sidney crosby as my pick for playoff mvp.  However, Getzlaf has now taken over reign as he has become unstoppable. However, now subban has clearly been the most dominant force despite his racist naysayers.
than writes another article repeating almost exactly what someone else wrote but in different words a few days prior.

This is what i come to expect from a tpsh article.

Posted by Luongo-is-my-hero on 05/06/14 at 01:28 AM ET

They’re right. You’re all talk and no substance. Anybody with half a brain can pick the leading points getter to be the conn smythe leader.

Posted by redwingshomersLOL on 05/06/14 at 06:30 AM ET

bigdee89's avatar

If you’re not writing for people then you need to ask yourself seriously why do you run a blog?  You could just as easily post in a comments section, a forum or as mentioned your own notebook.

I misunderstood your posts as having information I couldn’t get from reading the point totals.

Thanks for the reply, I will stop reading what you write as I’m sure others are too.

Someday you’ll wake up to no audience.

Posted by bigdee89 from The Great White North Eh? on 05/06/14 at 06:44 AM ET

redxblack's avatar

There needs to be a translate function. When TPSH says postseason MVP, he means “Recently had a good game.”

It’s all in the translation.

Posted by redxblack from Akron Ohio on 05/06/14 at 07:03 AM ET

I now consider Anze Kopitar a HOF candidate

Posted by scooter on 05/06/14 at 08:44 AM ET

redxblack's avatar

The LA Kings are not an elite team.

Posted by redxblack from Akron Ohio on 05/06/14 at 10:10 AM ET

calquake's avatar

Don’t be too harsh on TPSH, he’s an idiot savant that sees the world much different than you or I.  And you know which part I put the emphasis on.  TPSH is nothing more than a voracious troll who feeds off of creating controversy and eliciting responses.  When everyone wakes up and stops feeding him he will disappear quietly in the night.  Then again, we all need a punching bag… so there’s that.

P.S. I think TPSH and HockeyinHD are related.

Posted by calquake on 05/06/14 at 10:12 AM ET

redxblack's avatar

P.S. I think TPSH and HockeyinHD are Hall of Fame candidates.

Posted by redxblack from Akron Ohio on 05/06/14 at 10:17 AM ET

redxblack's avatar

Also, Calquake is my pick for the Conn Smythe trophy.

Posted by redxblack from Akron Ohio on 05/06/14 at 10:17 AM ET

Paul's avatar

Please keep the comments on topic. I really do not appreciate personal attacks.

If you want to challenge the topic, by all means do so.

Thanks.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 05/06/14 at 10:18 AM ET

calquake's avatar

Fair enough Paul.  So let’s challenge the topic “Playoff MVP”.  Last I checked the Playoff MVP isn’t a horse race where every single lead change is announced.  It is much more of an evolving theme that changes as each round of the playoffs finish.  Reporting then would be a much more accepted and realistic way to go.  Many of us are bothered by writing that changes whichever way the wind blows.  That is not honest writing but more of covering one’s posterior so as not to take a stand or being able to say “I told you so” when it’s all over.  You have many fine bloggers here but not everyone considers TPSH a Hall of Fame candidate.  My apologies for offending you Paul.

Posted by calquake on 05/06/14 at 10:36 AM ET

Paul's avatar

CQ, I certainly understand how you feel and nothing against you.

I just feel it always better to challenge the topic at hand.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 05/06/14 at 10:38 AM ET

calquake's avatar

Point taken.

Posted by calquake on 05/06/14 at 10:47 AM ET

PuckStopsHere's avatar

Calquake

You are describing two different worldviews which may differ in some points, but have quite a bit of overlap between them.  Neither is perfect in explaining our reality and both are required to some degree.  We have vast amounts of common ground.

You believe that the playoff MVP evolves throughout the playoffs and so do I.  That is why my picks often change with time.  Those changes are in fact evolution.  You may not bother to pick an MVP during the second round of the playoffs and wait until the finals to bother.  That is a choice and it may get to to the correct MVP at the end.  It also may miss some of the dynamics of the playoffs.  With that worldview, it can be far to easy to pick a player who looks dominant in the finals, but wasn’t so strong in the earlier playoffs (Sidney Crosby might be that guy this season depending on how things shake out…)

Posted by PuckStopsHere on 05/06/14 at 11:38 AM ET

calquake's avatar

That is why my picks often change with time.

I guess it depends on how you define time.  Every two or three games is not, in my opinion, long enough to evaluate what is happening.

Actually no, I believe I stated very clearly that it changes with each round.  The only way I wouldn’t pick a frontrunner after each round is if I had the same player picked from the previous round.

I think it’s far more accurate to pick a player who was consistently dominant throughout the playoffs rather than one who gets hot in the finals.  If L.A. and Pitt get to the finals and Quick maintains his dominance while Crosby only lights it up in the finals, I’m picking Quick unless L.A. is swept and the goalie gets lit up.  Crosby getting hot then is not representative of the Playoff MVP.

Posted by calquake on 05/06/14 at 01:01 PM ET

PuckStopsHere's avatar

My MVP choice may not change at all over the course of a season.  I picked Sidney Crosby in mid-October as my first Hart Trophy pick of the year and he never fell out of the lead.  It may also change daily.  I think that in and of itself is interesting and that gets lost if you artificially restrict the time range over which you can pick a leader.

Posted by PuckStopsHere on 05/06/14 at 01:22 PM ET

calquake's avatar

You don’t see the disparity in what you just wrote?  Hart Trophy is over a season.  To change it daily is an exercise in futility.

Posted by calquake on 05/06/14 at 01:37 PM ET

PuckStopsHere's avatar

There is no disparity whatsoever in what I wrote.  The award is given for an entire season and the current leader is the MVP of the season so far.

Posted by PuckStopsHere on 05/06/14 at 01:51 PM ET

calquake's avatar

It may also change daily.

To change it daily is an exercise in futility.

Did you skip over that part?  There is a reason the official voters don’t vote for the MVP until the end of the regular season.

Have a good life TPSH, I’m done here.

Posted by calquake on 05/06/14 at 01:59 PM ET

PuckStopsHere's avatar

I don’t change it daily.  Did you skip over the part where I mentioned the interesting fact that Sidney Crosby was my one and only pick all season long?

How often the frontrunner changes is interesting.  That is what you fail to allow yourself to recognize.

Posted by PuckStopsHere on 05/06/14 at 02:05 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

This is the single most-wonderful way I’ve ever seen somebody frame a comment that boils down to a simple difference of opinion over what is and isn’t interesting.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 05/06/14 at 04:27 PM ET

Luongo-is-my-hero's avatar

IF it changes that often, why not just look at scoring leaders.  It will always be his mvp because his mvp changes according to the current scoring leaders. Reading the standing is a lot more fun to read since it is so much more informative.

Posted by Luongo-is-my-hero on 05/06/14 at 08:37 PM ET

PuckStopsHere's avatar

Luongo

Are you seriously as dumb as that comment?

My previous picks were PK Subban and before that Tuukka Rask.  Do you recall either of them as scoring leaders?  Me neither.  That’s a big fail for you.

Posted by PuckStopsHere on 05/06/14 at 09:35 PM ET

bigdee89's avatar

Are you seriously as dumb as that comment?

Seriously how did you get a gig posting to KK?

This is the absolute best website to read hockey news and your writing and comments are way below the standard.

I hope Paul considers that you are insinuating his readers are “dumb” and gets rid of your useless 5th grade writing.

Posted by bigdee89 from The Great White North Eh? on 05/06/14 at 09:45 PM ET

redxblack's avatar

And after Paul gently reminded us to not make personal attacks, too.

Seriously though. NHL.com has a list of stats that are sortable. Putting those stats into a narrative about who’s currently on top and calling that analysis is weak tea.

Posted by redxblack from Akron Ohio on 05/06/14 at 11:07 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

TPSH,

If you don’t enjoy reading the comments, then why are you reading them?

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 05/06/14 at 11:32 PM ET

Luongo-is-my-hero's avatar

LOL I am just saying generally.  Like most people here I don’t read all of your articles because they lack any substance whatsoever.  I can read the trend in your articles as most can, and its the reason your getting bashed in almost every article you write.  Every article you write follows 3 guidelines.  1st: based on current scoring leader/ best goaltender or whoever is doing good in general, and how it is either your pick, or it wasn’t due to unbelievable cirumstances.  Patting yourself on the back in every instance if it is correct.  Second: a rehash of a current trend in articles with almost the exact same points labeled by a much better writer, usually taken from tsn, or the odd newspaper article.  The only thing added are stupid comments to either boost your ego, or some condescending attitude to the “miraculous” act of God that it doesn’t coincide with your point of view.  Third, a shitty corsi/stat article.
The problem with you is you write shitty articles that lack any substance at all, and those that have any thing interesting, are ripped straight from someone else’s article with the order mixed up or rewritten badly.

Please correct me if im wrong, but when was the last time anyone ever said anything positive about a single article you have written? Please tell me what the ratio of good to bad things are said about your articles/attitude?  IM pretty sure at least 95 percent of comments directed to you have been negative, and your condescending attitude is a primary cause.  You act like a know it all when in fact u know nothing at all.
There is a reason why you have absolutely no respect from any long time member of this site.
Your articles have the creativity and substance of a facebook status update done at 3 am by someone drunk.

Posted by Luongo-is-my-hero on 05/07/14 at 07:29 PM ET