The Puck Stops Here

If I Had An Award Ballot

With the end of the regular season it is time for my annual if I had an award ballot post where I list my top three picks for the NHL awards that interest me.

Calder Trophy:  1.  Nathan MacKinnon Colorado Avalanche 2. Torey Krug Boston Bruins 3. Ondrej Palat Tampa Bay Lightning  I only recently picked MacKinnon to win this award.  I think he is the runaway favorite among voters but he shouldn't be ranked too far ahead of Krug (though he will be).  Palat is a more distant third candidate.

Selke Trophy: 1. Patrice Bergeron Boston Bruins 2. Anze Kopitar Los Angeles Kings 3. Jonathan Toews Chicago Blackhawks  I have been picking Bergeron as the Selke Trophy leader for most of the season.  He has won this award before and had a strong season.  This gives him both the reputation and the results this season to win it.  Toews was his top rival for most of the season until injuries dropped him into third below Kopitar.

Adams Trophy:  1. Bruce Boudreau Anaheim Ducks 2. Ken Hitchcock St Louis Blues 3. Patrick Roy Colorado Avalanche  Boudreau took my lead at the end of December.  He has a repeatable ability to have his team exceed its talent level, as he did this year.  Hitchcock has a long stretch of doing the same.  Patrick Roy certainly made Colorado a fun place for players to play and had success this year, but I wonder how much of it is due to Semyon Varlamov's emergence in goal and if it is repeatable.  As usual, I expect my coach of the year picks will not match the actual picks and that the actual picks will be fired before my selections are.

Masterton Trophy: 1. Manny Malhotra Carolina Hurricanes 2. Willie Mitchell Los Angeles Kings 3. Dominic Moore New York Rangers  My pick of Malhotra is because he came back from an eye injury that has affected him since 2010.  His career appeared over.  Willie Mitchell also looked like his career was over due to injury, but not for as long as Malhotra.  Moore makes a comeback after a year off mourning his wife's death.  Kris Letang and Rich Peverley are already leaders for next season if they can play regularly.  They did not establish that this season.

Lady Byng Trophy: 1. Ryan O'Reilly Colorado Avalanche 2. Tyler Seguin Dallas Stars 3. Martin St Louis New York Rangers  O'Reilly is a relatively recent leader.  He wins with a ridiculously low two penalty minutes all season.  The other candidates are better players with low penalty minute totals, but they are an order of magnitude higher than O'Reilly.

Norris Trophy: 1. Duncan Keith Chicago Blackhawks 2. Alex Pietrangelo St Louis Blues 3. Ryan Suter Minnesota Wild  There are several good candidates for this award, but this threesome is the best group of two-way defencemen this year.  I have been picking Keith most of the season.  I don't think people realize how good he is.

Vezina Trophy: 1. Tuukka Rask Boston Bruins 2. Carey Price Montreal Canadiens 3. Semyon Varlamov Colorado Avalanche  Rask had a couple runs as Vezina leader.  The last began in March.  I am less convinced Varlamov is posting repeatable numbers than Price, so he falls to third.  Ben Bishop was also in the race until he faltered and got hurt at season's end.

Hart Trophy:  1. Sidney Crosby Pittsburgh Penguins 2. Duncan Keith Chicago Blackhawks 3. Ryan Getzlaf Anaheim Ducks  Crosby has led this race from the start of the season and should win easily.  Of course, he should have won last year and voters outsmarted themsleves and figured out a way to give it to somebody less deserving in Alexander Ovechkin.  Keith and Getzlaf are solid contenders but they are not in Crosby's class.  I think Keith will be overlooked by voters since he isn't among the NHL scoring leaders.

First All Star Team: Taylor Hall Edmonton Oilers Sidney Crosby Pittsburgh Penguins Corey Perry Anaheim Ducks Duncan Keith Chicago Blackhawks Alex Pietrangelo St Louis Blues Tuukka Rask Boston Bruins

Second All Star Team:  Jamie Benn Dallas Stars Ryan Getzlaf Anaheim Ducks Alexander Ovechkin Washington Capitals Ryan Suter Minnesota Wild Shea Weber Nashville Predators Carey Price Montreal Canadiens

Third All Star Team: Patrick Sharp Chicago Blackhawks Claude Giroux Philadelphia Flyers Phil Kessel Toronto Maple Leafs Erik Karlsson Ottawa Senators Drew Doughty Los Angeles Kings Semyon Varlamov Colorado Avalanche

My main comment on the all star teams is that I cannot believe Taylor Hall wasn't on the Canadian Olympic Team.

Filed in: | The Puck Stops Here | Permalink

Comments

w2j2's avatar

Not even a mention of Mike Babcock?
Are you showing a little anti-Red Wings bias?

Posted by w2j2 on 04/15/14 at 07:06 AM ET

bigdee89's avatar

You are soooooooo off on the Adams.  Nyquist for Hart.

Posted by bigdee89 from The Great White North Eh? on 04/15/14 at 07:25 AM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

The two highest teams in PDO rankings had one of your Jack Adams picks and your winner was the coach of the single-highest PDO team in the league.

If you think Bruce Boudreau is coaching his team to shoot 2% better than any other squad at 5-on-5 with the score close AND a higher-than-average save percentage, then he certainly deserves to win the Adams because he’s found a truly magical formula.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 04/15/14 at 08:54 AM ET

bezukov's avatar

If I Had An Award Ballot

.... you would have cast it in September?

Posted by bezukov from the kids are alright. on 04/15/14 at 09:14 AM ET

SnLO's avatar

So, I read all this and find no real analysis with the selections. But imbedded in each selection is a link to somewhere we should expect to find more in-depth analysis. So, following the links, I find no real analysis, only superficial fluff; and, in support of Bezukov comment, are also fairly old posts. Listed below are when TPSH made his trophy winner selections:

Calder Trophy: recent pick (Apr) with some viable analysis
Selke Trophy: picked 11/16/13 at 05:27 PM ET
Adams Trophy: picked 12/30/13 at 07:48 PM ET
Masterton Trophy: 12/17/13 at 10:12 PM ET
Lady Byng Trophy: recent pick (Apr) with no real analysis
Norris Trophy: picked 11/28/13 at 11:35 PM ET
Vezina Trophy:  picked 03/22/14 at 05:06 PM ET
Hart Trophy: bad link, picked 10/20/13 at 04:25 PM ET

It’s a real shame. There was an opportunity here for some in-depth analysis and discussion. Instead all we get is a list of TPSH popularity contest winners. While you’re at it, tell us who the homecoming king and queen are too. After all, they also get picked in the fall.

Posted by SnLO from beyond the M-1 on 04/15/14 at 09:50 AM ET

.... you would have cast it in September?

Why not?  It’s isn’t as if he ever watches hockey.

Posted by Garth on 04/15/14 at 10:20 AM ET

My main comment on the all star teams is that I cannot believe Taylor Hall wasn’t on the Canadian Olympic Team.

It’s too bad they didn’t pick him.  Maybe Canada’s Olympic team would’ve had a better outcome with Hall on the team.

Posted by Garth on 04/15/14 at 10:21 AM ET

Color me a little skeptical of Torey Krug. Okay, I get it, his team has Chara, he’s not going to be the most important guy in the lineup, but:

- 7th on his own blueline in ice time per game (Meszaros was getting more after he came over)
- Was the most zone-start protected regular defenseman in the ENTIRE LEAGUE, at almost 65%. By comparison, Chara/Seidenberg/Boychuck were all 48%-51%, Hamilton 52%, Bartkowski 54%.

He could be a great defenseman some day, but right now he looks like Marc-Andre Bergeron, lucking into a cushy role on arguably the league’s best team.

If we’re just talking about rookie defensemen, I’m much more impressed with a guy like Jacob Trouba, who played much tougher and many more minutes on a much worse team, and on a per-game basis provided similar offensive totals.

Trouba of course was hurt and only played 65 games, but the Calder is not the “Most Valuable Rookie” award, it’s the “player selected as the most proficient in his first year of competition.” In that sense I see it more like the Vezina for rookies rather than the Hart for rookies, where it’s less about “total production” and more about “how good of an NHL player were you this year.” By that logic I think Trouba, just as an example, might well have a stronger case than Krug.

Posted by Sven22 from Grand Rapids on 04/15/14 at 10:50 AM ET

redxblack's avatar

I love Suter for third place in the Norris. With a whole 8 goals this season, the dude did some heavy lifting. Karlsson had a full 31 points more.

Posted by redxblack from Akron Ohio on 04/15/14 at 11:09 AM ET

bezukov's avatar

Posted by Garth on 04/15/14 at 10:21 AM ET

lmao

Posted by bezukov from the kids are alright. on 04/15/14 at 12:03 PM ET

shazam88's avatar

Hmm, seems like “repeatability” is an important PSH criteria for winning an award this year. Very, very interesting. No, not really.

I’d award the Selke to the Slovenian Angel, if I was a lucky boy with a ballot, but no doubt it’s going to Bergeron, who has had a very solid year.

That’s all.

Posted by shazam88 from SoCal on 04/15/14 at 03:24 PM ET

IwoCPO's avatar

I’m not reading this until someone guarantees the word “elite” is used at least 19 times.

Posted by IwoCPO from Sunny San Diego, bitches on 04/15/14 at 04:00 PM ET