The Puck Stops Here

Hall Of Fame Thoughts For 2013

I always like to give my thoughts about which players I think will be inducted into the Hall of Fame this year.  It is a good thing to do on a day when there is no playoff hockey.  There are three first year Hall of Fame candidates that I think deserve induction.  So I would induct Chris Chelios, Scott Niedermayer and Rob Blake.  I think Chelios and Niedermayer are givens.  I am not so sure Blake will make it on his first try, but I think he should.  This leaves one or two more spots for people who are not first ballot candidates.  I think Brendan Shanahan will get one of those spots.  A fourth inductee (should they chose one) is harder to predict.  While I would support Rob Blake, I think Eric Lindros might be a more likely candidate.  My best guess is there will be four inductees in Chelios, Niedermayer, Shanahan and perhaps Lindros.  Is that a viable Hall of Fame class?

Filed in: | The Puck Stops Here | Permalink

Comments

w2j2's avatar

I agree.  Niedermayer,  Chelios and Shanahan are shoo-ins.
Blake & Lindros are not.
One can never be sure what the people with actual votes are thinking.

Posted by w2j2 on 05/31/13 at 02:07 AM ET

MOWingsfan19's avatar

I NOW consider these guys to be hall of famers.

Posted by MOWingsfan19 from I really like our team on 05/31/13 at 08:58 AM ET

Wings_in_NYC's avatar

I still don’t see why Lindros would ever be in the HOF. He’s not top 100 in points or goals. Never won a cup. Why even consider him?

Posted by Wings_in_NYC on 05/31/13 at 12:39 PM ET

PuckStopsHere's avatar

Lindros was the best player in the NHL for a time.  If you watched hockey in the 1990s you would know how dominant he was.

Posted by PuckStopsHere on 05/31/13 at 12:55 PM ET

Wings_in_NYC's avatar

I was watching. I personally don’t think he belongs.

Posted by Wings_in_NYC on 05/31/13 at 02:28 PM ET

I now consider Slava Voynov a hall of famer.

As for Lindros, “the best player in the NHL” is a bit of a stretch considering that Gretzky and Mario dominated most of seasons in which Lindros played. He wasn’t even the best player on his teams! Recchi and LeClair routinely outscored Lindros who traditionally missed a bulk of games due to injury - one result of his style of play. Sure, “best” does not always mean most points, and Lindros was definitely an “impact” player, but not the best in the league by any means.

Posted by scooter on 05/31/13 at 03:18 PM ET

PuckStopsHere's avatar

Scooter

It is fun to re-write history isn’t it?  The simplistic argument that Lindros was the best player in the game is that he won a Hart Trophy.  In the mid 90-s he was regularly rated at or near the top in the Hockey News top 50 players list.  In 1998, the Hockey News listed Lindros as the 54th best player all time.  Many of the top hockey minds called Lindros the best player in the game.

That level of dominance is what people attributed to him in the time he was dominating.  That level of dominance is a Hall of Fame player.

You can re-write the past however you want, but it is just a fantasy game you are playing.

Posted by PuckStopsHere on 05/31/13 at 04:05 PM ET

Pucker, I’m not sure what history I am attempting to re-write since my comment was based on ACTUAL point totals from the years 1992-2007 in which, at no point, did Lindros ever lead the league in scoring, in 3 seasons trailed either Recchi or LeClair in scoring on his own team, and played only 2 seasons without missing any games to injury. Yet, your justification for Lindros’ “dominance” is that he won ONE Hart Trophy and a couple guys who’ve never played the game consider him to be in the top 50 players of all time. Oh, yeah, and the unspecified “top hockey minds” call him the best player in the game. I’m not disputing the fact that he wasn’t a great player, but definitely not the best player during his time. The facts don’t support it, and your opinions or phantom “top hockey experts” opinions don’t support it. This is typical rhetoric that you spew on this blog: the second that anyone disagrees with you you get our underoos all up in a bind and start insulting people. Grow up or find a different profession.

Posted by scooter on 05/31/13 at 04:22 PM ET

PuckStopsHere's avatar

Scooter

Do you always project your own shortcomings onto others?  It isn’t pretty.

Are you suggesting that in order to be the best player you must lead the league in scoring?  Lindros did tie for the point lead in 94/95.  So that standard appears met even if we forget for the moment that it is a totally arbitrary standard.

In his (admittedly short) prime, Lindros was worth more than his mere point total because he physically dominated the whole ice suface.  It tuns out that style of play did cost hunm physically and he missed time to injury.  Thus when you compae his numbers to players who played the whole year he falls behind some who didn’t match his points per game or the numbe of games he dominated.  I argue that Lindros was the best player on the ice in more games in an approximately two or three year period at the middle of the 90s than anyone else.

You appear to admit that Lindros was a great player.  That in and of itself is a strong argment he will make the Hall of Fame.

Posted by PuckStopsHere on 05/31/13 at 04:43 PM ET