The Puck Stops Here

Game Two

The second game went to a second overtime period before Dustin Brown ended it.  Lengthy overtime games can be exciting and memorable.  This series has had that going for it.  The problem is it hasn't had the great teams that should be in a Stanley Cup final.  There isn't anything memorable or elite about the New York Rangers or the Los Angeles Kings.  Neither was able to finish higher than sixth seed in their conference.  Neither is a team that anyone would have seriously picked as the best in the NHL at any pint this season.  Essentially we have the main event on the season without main event participants.  That takes away from the prestige of the series.  It takes elite teams to create the drama and expectation to make a truly memorable series.

After two games it looks like Los Angeles has a good shot at winning the Stanley Cup.  That probably shouldn't be a surprise.  The West Conference has been stronger than the East Conference for several years.  The West Conference team in this series was the stronger team in the regular season.  One problem is that New York has been the better team despite not winning.  Los Angeles hasn't held the lead at any point during any game and they are up 2 games to none.  I guess it is a fitting result in the no elite team NHL if the Stanley Cup champion is neither the best team in the regular season or the Stanley Cup finals.

Filed in: | The Puck Stops Here | Permalink

Comments

Neither team is elite?  You sure about that?  I guess being the top defensive team in the league, having a Selke nominated centre, one of the top defensemen in the league, a Conn Smythe winning goalie, appearing in three straight conference finals, winning the Cup and being two wins from their second Cup in three years isn’t considered elite.

Not to mention surviving the gauntlet of San Jose, Anaheim and the defending Cup champion Chicago to get to the Final. And that series against Chicago had no drama, excitement or no chance of being memorable.

Yeah, you’re right.  Not one elite team.

Posted by Canucklehead on 06/08/14 at 01:38 AM ET

awould's avatar

Posted by Canucklehead on 06/08/14 at 01:38 AM ET

Using logic? Facts? Nice try dude. They don’t mean jack against a narrowly defined, arbitrary and meaningless label. Add in a dose of nostalgic bias and your argument is dead in the water.

That said, tonight’s game was crazy exciting. Too bad it sucked because neither team is first-class.

Posted by awould on 06/08/14 at 02:00 AM ET

Chet's avatar

this TPSH blog is clickbait trolling only. really detracts from the legitimacy of KK as a whole. hate to have to say it over and over. i hope one day we find out that TPSH is mark messier or somebody.

Posted by Chet from twitter: thegansen on 06/08/14 at 02:11 AM ET

Troll blog is a troll blog.

Posted by redwingshomersLOL on 06/08/14 at 02:11 AM ET

Luongo-is-my-hero's avatar

what are u all talking about.  This is clearly an elite blog.Totally L337

Posted by Luongo-is-my-hero on 06/08/14 at 03:53 AM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

Hey Paul,

If TPSH is unable to do so for any reason, I’m pretty sure I could step in and ghost-write the Game Three post with extremely small variance in the quality of writing or tone. Here’s a preview so you know I’m serious.

“Game three happened and it was once again a very entertaining game, but that’s not good enough to make for a memorable series because my set of arbitrary rules says that no teams are elite anymore. Neither the Rangers nor the Kings are elite and, despite the games being entertaining, I hate this series.”

Of course I’d glam that up a bit in final copy so it’s not actually that straightforward, but you get the idea. Let me know if you need me. I wouldn’t want the readers to have to miss out on another TPSH gem.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 06/08/14 at 09:22 AM ET

Does this guy even LIKE hockey?

Posted by redwingshomersLOL on 06/08/14 at 10:45 AM ET

SK77's avatar

It’s disappointing to see “material” of such low quality on the same site where you’ve got people like Paul Kukla and George Malik working so hard to provide hockey news and insight.

(I reversed Paul & George’s names from the last time I posted this. That counts as a new comment, right?)

Posted by SK77 on 06/08/14 at 10:59 AM ET

Iggy_Rules's avatar

Hate to say it but there are far too many commas in there. TPSH has continuously demonstrated that he has not yet mastered the use of the comma. Here is how I would see it being posted.

“Game three happened and it was once again a very entertaining game. But that’s not good enough to make for a memorable series. My set of arbitrary rules says that no teams are elite anymore. The Rangers are not elite. The Kings are not elite and. The games have been entertaining. I hate this series.”

I would really like to see George Malik do a post game breakdown blog of the SCF just so we have a quality comparison to work with.

Posted by Iggy_Rules from Calgary, Canada on 06/08/14 at 11:05 AM ET

I think Paul got caught up in a “Make A Wish” donation that we are all suffering through.

Posted by redwingshomersLOL on 06/08/14 at 11:06 AM ET

Paul's avatar

I understand most of you are expressing your views, but please keep it on topic.

Thanks.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 06/08/14 at 11:08 AM ET

I don’t understand how this is off topic…? We are talking about the content of the blog and lack of quality from the author, some of us citing specific examples (not me).

Now excuse me while I go make a list of “elite” flavors of tic tacs.

Posted by redwingshomersLOL on 06/08/14 at 11:12 AM ET

SK77's avatar

Posted by redwingshomersLOL on 06/08/14 at 11:06 AM ET

Wow.

Posted by SK77 on 06/08/14 at 11:18 AM ET

I now consider Dustin Brown a HOF candidate.

Posted by scooter on 06/08/14 at 12:05 PM ET

awould's avatar

I now consider Dustin Brown a HOF candidate.

That was a pretty sweet goal. Too bad I couldn’t really enjoy it because it wasn’t highly skilled*.

* definition pending

Posted by awould on 06/08/14 at 12:18 PM ET

I now consider TPSH an elite hockey troll.

Posted by redwingshomersLOL on 06/08/14 at 12:34 PM ET

redxblack's avatar

This blog is the Johan Franzen of hockey blogs. I’m looking forward to the coverage of the next all star game when we might be treated to “Neither squad is elite. There’s no Bobby Orr.”

Posted by redxblack from Akron Ohio on 06/09/14 at 12:53 AM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

Game three was not as exciting as Games 1 or 2. This is because neither team is elite. There are no elite teams in hockey anymore. The Rangers and Kings are not elite. This is because of the salary cap, which is designed to make sure the Rangers and Kings would not be elite. This series is not exciting because Game 3 was not exciting even though Game 1 was exciting and Game 2 was exciting. I blame the lack of eliteness of the Kings and the Rangers, who are not elite.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 06/09/14 at 10:50 PM ET