The Puck Stops Here

Game One

It took a while for them to get going, but the Los Angeles Kings were the better team and they won the game.  It was an exciting ending in that it required overtime.  The problem is when I look at a playoff series between the New York Rangers and the LA Kings, I cannot convince myself this is a great series.  There were better series played in the earlier rounds of the playoffs.  This is an inevitable problem in the no elite team NHL.  If last night's game was a regular season game in January it would be a pretty good one, but when it has the expectations that come with being the first game of the Stanley Cup finals it falls short.  The Stanley Cup finals should be something special.  This year it's merely a match-up of number six seeds.

Filed in: | The Puck Stops Here | Permalink

Comments

Hootinani's avatar

You’ve seen exactly one (1) game of the series, and you’ve already made your mind up about the entire series?  This seems like a substance-less post, and its irresponsible to use your blog for something that amounts to little more than trolling.

Posted by Hootinani on 06/05/14 at 11:42 AM ET

SK77's avatar

It’s disappointing to see “material” of such low quality on the same site where you’ve got people like George Malik and Paul Kukla working so hard to provide hockey news and insight.

Posted by SK77 on 06/05/14 at 11:56 AM ET

blammo's avatar

AV on Kings after watching film this morning: “They’re one of the best teams I’ve seen in a long time.”

Posted by blammo from Vancouver, BC on 06/05/14 at 01:22 PM ET

awould's avatar

This is an inevitable problem in the no elite team NHL

When exactly were these exciting Finals series that featured two elite teams showcasing their hall of fame talent in a lengthy 6 or 7 game series to win it all? Less than half the series back in the day (pre-2004) even went 6 games.

The Pens/Wings series were both great. The Hawks/Bruins last year was good. I don’t understand the complaints. There have been some fantastic series in the past few years, even in the Finals.

Also, judging a series after a Game 1 (that went to OT) featuring a well rested team vs a tired team is maybe a bit hasty.

Posted by awould on 06/05/14 at 01:47 PM ET

It was an exciting ending that it required overtime

No what you’ve got here is just good, good writing.

Posted by Garth on 06/05/14 at 02:31 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

Based on previous posts, I believe the author went into this game expecting not to be wowed and made that a self-fulfilling prophecy.

I would further say that anybody who can convince themselves that it is or is not a great series only after one game is simply setting his or her own bias on an unnecessarily small sample size and I don’t believe that’s a worthwhile usage of time.

I’d also go on to say that the consistent complaints from this author about the quality of playoff hockey in the post-salary cap era indicates a complete unwillingness to accept and enjoy professional hockey as it’s set up because of a significant personal bias which favors gilded memories of a different era which are connected personally to the author in a subjective manner which is not useful for analysis.

I would also argue before we have to get another warning about “staying on topic”, that the author invited a study of his own biases (and, in doing so also invited discussion about what may drive such biases) with the statement

Whether or not this is a great series and whether or not there are elite teams in the NHL is not an objective discussion, therefore, author subjectivity is a topic which is valid here.

With all of this said, I have come to the conclusion that the reason for writing a post such as this is not for any level of dear-diary catharsis nor is it an attempt to interest or educate the audience. I believe that the entire purpose of this article was simply to garner attention. That’s very sad.

tl;dr version

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 06/05/14 at 02:32 PM ET

awould's avatar

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 06/05/14 at 03:32 PM ET

ouch

Abe Simpson probably hates the hybrid icing rule and helmets.

Posted by awould on 06/05/14 at 02:39 PM ET

blammo's avatar

“Before Game 1 of the Stanley Cup final Luc Robitaille was still marvelling at the Western Conference final against Chicago — how good it was, how emotional, how fun. The president of the Los Angeles Kings and Hall of Famer said that once Marian Gaborik scored in the third period of Game 7 to tie the back-and-forth thriller, he just threw up his hands and said, whatever happens now is OK. It was terrifying and beautiful, and he could live with the result.”

Posted by blammo from Vancouver, BC on 06/05/14 at 03:51 PM ET

Kings in 3 games. Book it!

Posted by redwingshomersLOL on 06/05/14 at 07:07 PM ET

Iggy_Rules's avatar

Posted by SK77 on 06/05/14 at 12:56 PM ET

Unfortunately, this is how I feel as well.

Posted by Iggy_Rules from Calgary, Canada on 06/06/14 at 06:34 AM ET