The Puck Stops Here

Best Defensive Forward

In mid-February I picked Jonathan Toews of the Chicago Blackhawks as the Selke Trophy leader.  While he remains a strong candidate, I think there is a stronger Selke Trophy leader right now in Patrice Bergeron of the Boston Bruins.  Bergeron has a stronger +/- (adjusted or raw) while playing against a similar quality of competition with more penalty killing time.

Bergeron leads the Bruins in scoring with 25 points and in +/- with a +21.  He is tied for second in the league with that +/- rating.

Bergeron has been a solid Selke candidate for a few years and I think this is the year where he may win the award.

Filed in: | The Puck Stops Here | Permalink

Comments

Hootinani's avatar

Datsyuk

30 points, +11 (both team leading stats for forwards) on a much more defensively challenged team than Boston

and nobody in the NHL does what Datsyuk does at either end of the ice.

Posted by Hootinani on 03/17/13 at 04:23 PM ET

PuckStopsHere's avatar

Datsyuk is in the running but he isn’t as good a candidate as he was six years ago.  Bergeron has about 40% more shorthanded time with significantly better puck possession numbers.  I think Datsyuk should finish 4th or 5th in the Selke voting this year - any higher and it is due to votes that come from reputation more than reality.

Posted by PuckStopsHere on 03/17/13 at 04:40 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

I think Datsyuk should finish 4th or 5th in the Selke voting this year

So who besides Bergeron and Toews do you have him behind?

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 03/17/13 at 05:50 PM ET

PuckStopsHere's avatar

Perhaps Mike Fisher, Steve Ott or Mikko Koivu.

Posted by PuckStopsHere on 03/17/13 at 06:53 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

Steve Ott is immediately a terrible comparative choice to Datsyuk. Fisher is slightly better, but he still barely belongs in the conversation.  Koivu is playing fairly zone-sheltered minutes.

I think that in an attempt to make up for what you feel is a bias in favor of Datsyuk, you’re stretching to find people to put above him in this conversation.

At this point in the season, Pavel Datsyuk is easily a Selke finalist.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 03/17/13 at 07:46 PM ET

statelouis26's avatar

Datstyuk.  No question and no contest.  If you watch the games he’s a beast, a couple takeaways a game.

Posted by statelouis26 from Detroit, MI on 03/18/13 at 09:13 AM ET

Lindas1st's avatar

Bergeron has already won one Selke Award, last season

Posted by Lindas1st from New England on 03/18/13 at 12:36 PM ET

DrewBehr's avatar

”...[Datsyuk] isn’t as good a candidate as he was six years ago.”

Lol. He’s been nominated the past 5 years.

Steve Ott