From the Point Too

Tangradi Among Latest Penguin Cuts

As Penguins training camp rolls on, so do the roster cuts following each game, the latest being a 3-2 Penguins victory over the Los Angeles Kings in Kansas City. The Birds have pared seven more bodies from their camp roster and there are a couple of interesting names on the list.

Headlining those assigned to Wilkes-Barre/Scranton today are Eric Tangradi, Nick Johnson and Ryan Craig. They are joined by forward Colin McDonald and goaltenders Scott Munroe and Brad Thiessen. The team also returned defenseman Scott Harrington to his junior team, the London Knights of the Ontario Hockey League.

Though Johnson and Craig have each logged NHL minutes for the Penguins over the past year, it is Tangradi ‘s demotion that is probably dropping the most jaws this afternoon.
The 22-year-old Tangradi, acquired from Anaheim in the deal that shipped Ryan Whitney to the Ducks in exchange for Chris Kunitz, has yet to make an impact in Pittsburgh. Some might say that he hasn’t gotten a true opportunity to shine, while others will say that he hasn’t taken advantage of the chances he has gotten.

Whichever side you fall on, he again finds himself making the long drive back to Wilkes-Barre/Scranton.

Craig, Johnson, McDonald and Munroe will have to clear waivers before they can report to the Baby Penguins. All of which have qualities that could be intriguing to another team in the league, which makes these cuts some of the hardest to make for a general manager.

We will find out at noon tomorrow who, if anyone has been claimed…

Filed in: Pittsburgh Penguins, | From the Point Too | Permalink
  Tags: eric+tangradi, nick+johnson, penguins, scott+harrington, scott+munroe, wilkes+barre+scranton

Comments

Tangradi is not a surprise to me… the guy is never visible when he gets his chances.
Johnson will be claimed… probably by toronto.
Not sure what the pens are thinking with morrow, but hopefully they play this the right way and return him to juniors soon.

Posted by gretzky_to_lemieux on 09/28/11 at 02:37 PM ET

Russian Rocket's avatar

Posted by gretzky_to_lemieux on 09/28/11 at 12:37 PM ET

If Orpik isn’t ready to go to start the season I wouldn’t be surprised to see Morrow get his 9 game cup of tea in the league before being sent to juniors.

Posted by Russian Rocket on 09/28/11 at 02:45 PM ET

brianmetzer's avatar

I agree with you… Tangradi has rarely looked noticeable to me since his arrival.

When I mention it being shocking it is more so to the Pens fans that so badly want him to be on the roster regardless of his performance. Many in town felt that his being in the line-up last spring would have had the power play producing against the Lightning… I don’t buy that at all.

That opinion is based on the fact that the one power play goal that was scored came while he was in front of the net… though it had little to do with him. Dwayne Roloson was actually screened by his own defenseman on the play.

I could definitely see Johnson getting claimed… he has some scoring upside and would be an asset.

Management just wants to get as big a look at Morrow as possible. It wouldn’t shock me to see him be amongst the final cuts just so they can get him the extra pre-season games etc. He has been great, but the numbers are stacked against him here… no room at the inn right now.

Posted by brianmetzer on 09/28/11 at 02:49 PM ET

Tangradi looked like crap. Again. He doesn’t think fast enough out there or have fast enough feet, reflexes or a good enough work ethic to make up for any of this. Luca Caputi 2.0.

It’s Johnson I felt earned a spot. Unfortunately, there was no spot to be earned.

Posted by steviesteve on 09/28/11 at 02:50 PM ET

Evilpens's avatar

Tangradi just can’t skate & if he isn’t a PP specialist/Net Front Presence He can’t be anything else, he is not a Goon, Not a PKer so I think that the window is closing quickly on him & the Supposed “Knowledgeable Pens Fans ” who were orgasmic at the Whitney for Kunitz/Tangradi trade are as usual wrong. The Trade was bad Contract for Bad Contract

Posted by Evilpens on 09/28/11 at 02:50 PM ET

brianmetzer's avatar

You have a point there RR…

I wouldn’t at all be shocked to see Morrow get that cup of coffee either way, though it is probably 70-30 that they do not do it this year.

Brian Strait and Matt Niskanen are probably guys who are effected a bit more by Orpik’s status… IMO…

Posted by brianmetzer on 09/28/11 at 02:52 PM ET

Russian Rocket's avatar

Good call Metz, you probably want to replace him with someone a little more physical in Strait’s sense.  Nisky just has the experience and by all means should be the guy.  His inconsistencies are frustrating however, as many have noted before.

I just think it’s a good time as any with the kid playing well and there is a need to fill a slot.  We shall see though, sooner than later.

Posted by Russian Rocket on 09/28/11 at 03:01 PM ET

Can’t say I’m surprised about Tangradi.  I may be in the minority, but he has never showed me that he has what it takes to be in the NHL.  I know he is a fan favorite, but he has to produce on-ice, and so far, he hasn’t.  I’m quite a bit more excited about what Morrow has shown so far.  I feel that Morrow will make a lasting impact on the Penguins in the future (and that future may be closer than you think).

Posted by Smeek1958 from Tulsa on 09/28/11 at 03:03 PM ET

OneSmugPug's avatar

All that sex Tangradi was getting is now Joe Morrow’s

Posted by OneSmugPug on 09/28/11 at 03:04 PM ET

No question in my mind he will be part of a deal this season whether before or on the trade deadline.

Posted by Geno71 on 09/28/11 at 04:07 PM ET

Lindas1st's avatar

Disco doesn’t like his game.

Posted by Lindas1st from New England on 09/28/11 at 07:55 PM ET

Evilpens's avatar

Bylsma doesn’t like his Game ?? Come on can we stop making excuses for everything that the Pens do that goes wrong?

Tangradi doesn’t have the heels to play in the NHL !

Posted by Evilpens on 09/28/11 at 07:59 PM ET

To play devil’s advocate here, the last two PP goals the Pens scored last season Tangradi was right in front of the net.  Coincidence?  Probably, but we will never know.

That said, Tangradi had a horrible camp from what I have read and he was unimpressive during the preseason games I watched.  He didn’t deserve a spot, but even if he would have made the team, he is wasted if he is on a 4th line.  The kid is still 22, he still has time to develop, and he will hopefully get top line minutes all year in WBS where he can make waves.

Posted by pens fan in baltimore on 09/28/11 at 08:51 PM ET