From the Point Too

Sidney Crosby’s thoughts on realignment

Though there was a hockey game being played on the ice at the Consol Energy Center this evening, many were already starting to buzz about realignment news that was breaking across the league. We will have some thoughts on the new “conferences” etc, but wanted to quickly share Sidney Crosby’s thoughts on what looks a lot like the old Patrick Division…plus the Hurricanes…

Thoughts on realignment:

“I think that’s pretty much what we’re used to except we’re adding a couple teams. I don’t think it’s that big of a deal. I think everyone’s probably happy with that. Washington’s a pretty good rival. I don’t see anyone being disappointed about this.”

Thoughts on staying in the same conference with the Flyers:

“Yeah, that’s been our great rivals for a long time, so the fact they can stay in our division is probably good for everyone from the two teams and for their fans, obviously.”

Going back to playoff series versus divisional opponents:

“I think playoffs you don’t really need any extra incentive, but I think if anything, it might add a little more excitement for the fans. They’re more familiar with the teams and the matchups and that kind of thing, but I don’t think as far as rivalries peak, as far as if we’re talking teams we call rivals, I don’t think it can get any bigger than it already is, but I think it’s nice for people to see those matchups.”

On being able to play all teams at home and away:

“It’s nice. I think any player will tell you it’s fun to go to some places you don’t always go to, and we’ll get that opportunity. I think it’s a good thing.”

Filed in: Pittsburgh Penguins, | From the Point Too | Permalink
  Tags: realignment, sidney+crosby

Comments

“I think everyone’s probably happy with that”?!?!
By “everyone” he presumably means the players, and not those of us who buy tickets to games, some of the revenue from which goes to, ahem, PAYING THEIR SALARIES!!! Because from all the talk on the Web, not too many fans are happy about it. Although I have to say, at least the Sabres aren’t in a division with Detroit. That would just take this plan from bad to worse for me.
And this plan really isn’t fair, for the 8 team conferences anyway. What was wrong with just switching Columbus or Nashville for Winnipeg? Nope. Can’t do things the easy way.

Posted by Anna from Rochester, NY on 12/06/11 at 01:47 AM ET

It would been a funny interview if Crosby did the playoff rant. Don’t talk about playoffs, playoffs, we just need to get healthy before we start thinking about playoffs

Posted by Bob on 12/06/11 at 02:02 AM ET

Fugazi's avatar

Who gives a rats ass what crosby says, he’s just another player in the NHL. Sheesh, quit sucking up to this guy, there’s plenty of players out there that have their own opinion..

Posted by Fugazi from Bay Area, Left Coast on 12/06/11 at 02:31 AM ET

cs6687's avatar

Obviously you care. I’m sure you wouldn’t have clicked on this to read Jody Shelley’s thoughts on realignment.

Posted by cs6687 on 12/06/11 at 03:30 AM ET

Fugazi's avatar

Once again a Pens fan misses the point..

Posted by Fugazi from Bay Area, Left Coast on 12/06/11 at 03:43 AM ET

Didn’t read a bit of the post, but got to say who cares what cindy thinks.

Posted by akwingsfan from alaska on 12/06/11 at 04:01 AM ET

There should be no hockey articles or discussion on TV or radio. Bettman should just make the decision. Afterall, why bother with what a player, a coach, or owner, or analyst thinks?

Can you seriously not see why they ask what Sid thinks? because people will read it. Do you honestly think the person asking the questions, or Sid himself believes it will make a difference. To paraphrase a line i recently read…. Once again another Sid hater that misses the point.

Posted by Stephen on 12/06/11 at 07:10 AM ET

Nathan's avatar

Posted by Anna from Rochester, NY on 12/05/11 at 11:47 PM ET

I think most fans prefer this, and it puts the teams on a more level playing field in terms of travel. Vancouver and San Jose still get the roughest end of it because of their locations, but there’s literally nothing that can be done about this. This alignment at least minimizes the problem as much as possible. And even with the Wings and Jackets playing in a CST-based conference, it is still a dramatic improvement because their trips to California and western Canada will be cut in half.

Posted by Nathan from the scoresheet! on 12/06/11 at 10:42 AM ET

Flashtastick56's avatar

Posted by Fugazi from Bay Area, Left Coast on 12/06/11 at 12:31 AM ET

Maybe, at the very least, Penguins fans…who read this blog…because it’s about the Penguins?

Posted by Stephen on 12/06/11 at 05:10 AM ET

Bee. Eye. En. Gee. Oh.  And Bingo was his name-o.

Posted by Flashtastick56 from Meriden, CT on 12/06/11 at 10:50 AM ET