Petshark: Talking Stick
by petshark on 11/29/12 at 07:00 PM ET
Over the past few days, I discovered an impatience I haven't felt for a while, the "hold on, no games today? Or tomorrow? Or... I'm supposed to wait how long for a game?" feeling. It was irritating, but not bad. It reminded me of a normal hockey season. It feels like being all adapted to the new hockey universe.
This impatience drove me to start hunting for European and KHL games online. This is not only difficult because feeds tend to move around, but also because an audio feed will not do. I don't speak most of the languages these games are broadcast in. I did manage to dig up a Dinamo Minsk game going on yesterday morning. A video feed was not available to me (which only took me about an hour to figure out) but following the scoreboard was better than nothing. So that was fun, except that Minsk blew a lead and fell 6-3. At least Pavelski got a goal.
There are several Sharks abroad. I found the following information online, but I can't be sure how complete it is. I started with Eurohockey.com because they have an easy search that found most of the Sharks quickly. From there I sort of wandered:
- Justin Braun, the latest export, has played two games for Tappara Tampere of the Finnish SM-liiga. He has earned one assist.
- Jason Demers has played 25 games for Kärpät Oulu of the Finnish SM-liiga. He has 16 points, including 3 goals. He's a plus seven.
- Tommy Wingels has played 15 games with KooKoo Kouvola of the Finnish Mestis league. He has 17 points, 7 of them goals. He's listed as a plus nine. All that despite a three-game suspension for a check to the head in mid-October.
- T.J. Galiardi played seven games for the Bietigheim Steelers of the German Bundesliga. He had 3 goals and 3 assists. According to a site the Bundesliga referred me to, his last game was October 26. On November 1st, he returned to Canada with a knee injury.
- As is common knowledge, Logan Couture has been awesome in Switzerland. He has played 21 games now for Genève-Servette HC of the Nationalliga A. He has 23 points, including 7 goals.
- As noted above, Joe Pavelski seems all better from the injury that kept him out of a few games for the KHL's Dinamo Minsk. So far he has played 10 games and accumulated 3 points.
- Joe Thornton has played 21 games now for HC Davos of the Swiss NLA. He has 4 goals and 13 assists.
- According to the club site, Michal Handzus has been joined by NHLer Clayton Stoner on Banská Bystrica's Slovakian Extraliga team. Handzus has played 7 games since November 14, has 10 points with 6 goals in there.
- Douglas Murray has played 14 games in Sweden, has 2 assists and "14 matches in Djurgården jersey became Douglas Murray this time." I don't know what that means, a little more text to work with would be helpful. Maybe 14 games have been good for him? Maybe he has left the team after 14 games? If anyone speaks Swedish, help would be appreciated. Do a google search for articles and you get mostly stuff about Elin.
- Thomas Greiss started training with the Hannover Scorpions of the German DEL on November 19. I can't find any indication that he has played yet.
- Antti Niemi, like Murray, returned to his roots for the lockout. His numbers are underwhelming. Being a determined optimist I decided to compare apples to apples instead of throwing pomegranates in there. It has been a while, much has probably changed, but surely today's Pelicans are more like the Pelicans of five years ago than they are like Sharks. Unfortunately, the comparison does not improve the picture. I wish I could say at least the team is winning, but they're not. Overall: not pretty. Since I don't have more information than that, I think we should view the situation as from a distance:
After all, things worked out for Marla, didn't they?
Filed in: hockey, , San Jose Sharks, | Petshark: Talking Stick | Permalink
Tags: antti+niemi, bundesliga, del, douglas+murray, jason+demers, joe+pavelski, joe+thornton, justin+braun, khl, logan+couture, michal+handzus, nla, sm-liiga, t.j.+galiardi, thomas+greiss, tommy+wingels
Be the first to comment.
Add a Comment
Please limit embedded image or media size to 575 pixels wide.
Most Recent Blog Posts
About Petshark: Talking Stick
Native of Northern California. Hockey fan since 1998... sort of... there's a hiatus in there that I still can't explain.
I want to know about anything and everything related to the sport and the spectacle. I watch, I react, I write it down.
My interest in the Sharks was initially a matter of geographic convenience and regional loyalty because that seemed to be how it worked. I had no prior interest (at all-- AT ALL) in professional sports of any kind. When I met hockey, it might have set off a chain reaction of general sports fandom. It hasn't, I don't think it will. At all.
Since then, that interest developed into full blown (mostly sort of usually almost completely) exclusive loyalty to the Sharks.
I started blogging a couple years ago on wordpress. I still occasionally put things there that I don't think fit here because they are not about the Sharks. Wherever my words wander, here on Kuklas Korner, they will (usually) hang on to a teal thread.
I can be found in cyberspace on Twitter @petshark47, or emailed at email@example.com