The Edmonton Oilers this summer selected another Edmonton native and member of the Edmonton Oil Kings at the 2011 NHL entry draft. Centre Travis Ewanyk hails from St. Albert which for all intents and purposes is essentially just a continuation of Edmonton to the north. Ewanyk was selected in the third round, 74th overall, just one spot behind his teammate and good friend Keegan Lowe who went to the Carolina Hurricaines.
The Edmonton Oil Kings’ captain Mark Pysyk was drafted in the first round, 23rd overall by the Buffalo Sabres in the 2010 NHL entry draft after years of hard work with the Oil Kings. After an invite and strong Team Canada camp this summer, the young defenceman even stood a small chance of making the big club this year because he’s been developing quite nicely. Through the Oil Kings’ first 13 games, Pysyk is -1, has 5 assists and 27 penalty minutes. Pysyk now plays every game with the added pressure of knowing that the Sabres are watching him intently, as are the coaching staff of Team Canada. However, being named today to the WHL team of the Subway Super Series which will be played against Russia might relieve some pressure. This tournament is very important to the Team Canada world juniors team selection and is an indication that Team Canada Hockey likes what they see in Pysyk.
Edmonton Oil Kings double up Portland Winterhawks 8-4
The Edmonton Oil Kings hosted the Portland Winterhawks in Rexall Place Friday night. Having been in the same building the night before when the Oilers hosted the Wild, I can say with confidence that The Oil Kings game was far more exciting, but sadly very few people enjoyed the same experience.
The Oil Kings are still a fairly new expansion team, and of course didn’t have a lot of success to start but success has been coming and this year’s team is strong, talented and exciting to watch.
The Edmonton area has produced its share of excellent hockey players, and that trend doesn’t appear to be stopping anytime soon. The Team Canada world junior development camp was held in Edmonton this summer and featured five players native to the city and if you look at any league, you will find several players from Alberta’s capital and many more looking to advance their hockey careers.
The WHL has been the starting point for many NHL careers; it’s a dream held by most players in the league. For the three Reinhart brothers, Max, Griffin and Sam that dream is a little closer to home than for others. The Reinhart brothers are sons of Paul Reinhart, former Calgary Flame and this year all three brothers are playing in the WHL.
Apparently, 95% of parents have a favourite child and that the other 5% are lying. With that in mind I won’t bother suggesting that I don’t have favourite prospects, even though the two situations are completely different. I try to remain unbiased, and can be successful in that regard in many ways, but certainly not all. Quite simply, some prospects make my job easy; they’re confident, well spoken, friendly and put me at ease as much as I hope I do for them. Drew Czerwonka of the Kootenay Ice is one of those prospects. With his calm yet friendly demeanor, million dollar smile and thoughtful responses Czerwonka has quickly become a favourite of mine.
About Oil Patch
Lisa McRitchie is a fairly new writer, online at least, but makes up for inexperience with passion for the game of hockey and memories of Mrs. Leskiw’s English AP class; who knew they would pay off one day.
Oil Patch focuses on the Edmonton Oilers, the Edmonton Oil Kings, The Oklahoma City Barons and Team Canada Hockey with game coverage, news updates, speculation and interviews.
Although the Oilers have had a difficult past decade… or three, here at Oil Patch, the future looks bright.
You can subscribe to the RSS feed here
Follow on Twitter @lisamcritchie
Or contact directly firstname.lastname@example.org