Orange & Black Breakdown

Flyers brass lost game 5

First thing I think of when last night’s Flyers game comes to mind is “what if”. They played great for 2 thirds of the game, but their second period was atrocious. There are two prevalent reasons that come to mind when explaining last nights 2nd period meltdown:

1) Flyers let their foot off the gas pedal
2) Penguins took their level of play to a new level

But I’m going to hit on my 2 KEY reason for the Flyers loss last night after the jump

1) Management’s decision to play Kubina AND Lilja. You can’t have two sloths playing against this team.  They were lit up on Wednesday’s game when we had last change. What’s going to happen when they have last change?
2) Lavvy’s decision to shorten the bench in the 2nd period. Way too early. We were playing scared. This coming from the same guy who loves to play with JAM and claims that we aren’t a conservative team. Sounds contradictory, no?

Lavvy and Homer are searching for answers

Let me hit you with some eye popping ice time
Carle 29:40
Coburn 29:11
Timonen 25:01
Gustafson 11:51
Lilja 7:09
Kubina 6:52

That is unheard of for one let alone 2 D-men play 30 minutes. To put it into perspective, Suter and Weber played 27 minutes last night. Lavvy got too gunshy way too early with his troops and thus left his two horses gasping for air at the end of the game when you truly needed them.

They need to scratch one of the useless pylons on defense. Kubina preferably as I made mention in my playoff preview that his lack of foot speed will be magnified against the quick forwards on the Penguins. Dress Manning. Play one of your forwards in a Sami Kapanen type role (thinking Wellwood or Voracek). This will help you immensely to play a full 60 minutes. Be proactive, not reactive.

Also, people pinpoint Carle as terrible, but you play that many minutes you are bound to make a mistake here and then. Don’t get me wrong, I’m Matt Carle’s biggest critic because he seems to make that big gaff that always ends up in the back of the net. But at some point, people have to realize that he’s playing top line minutes for these Flyers. His 1 gaff a game is way better than 5 gaffs a game in half the time.

My prediction:
‘J-V-R’ chants will reverberate through Fargo tomorrow. Mark it down

#Flyersin6

Continue the discussion with us on twitter (@marcs797 and @thevintern), email (theobbreakdown@gmail.com), or in the comments below

Lets Go Flyers!

Filed in: | Orange & Black Breakdown | Permalink

Comments

phillyphever's avatar

Ugh, wished Bourdon and Grossmann were healthy right now.

Posted by phillyphever on 04/21/12 at 10:11 PM ET

Marc Siciliano's avatar

#flyersin6

Posted by Marc Siciliano on 04/21/12 at 10:25 PM ET

Marc Siciliano's avatar

I still don’t know how I feel about the FWD on defense against the top offense in the league, but I see what you’re looking to accomplish. Here’s to hoping Grossmann is healthy enough to play

Posted by Marc Siciliano on 04/21/12 at 10:29 PM ET

1975

Posted by Beware the Penguins from The Pen's your Daddy on 04/22/12 at 12:02 AM ET

Marc Siciliano's avatar

1975

Posted by Beware the Penguins from The Pen’s your Daddy on 04/21/12 at 11:02 PM ET

That’s the year the Flyers blew a 3-0 series lead but ended up winning in 7 and went on to win the cup right? Thanks for reminding me!

Posted by Marc Siciliano on 04/22/12 at 12:20 AM ET

Commenting is not available in this channel entry.

About Orange & Black Breakdown

The Orange & Black Breakdown looks to be the ultimate, around the clock source for news and information on the Philadelphia Flyers organization and it’s ever-present quest for the Stanley Cup. Focusing on what the team can do to achieve success is the ultimate goal.

The OBB is written and maintained by myself - Marc Siciliano. I’m a college graduate and media production professional in the sports industry with credits on projects like Hard Knocks: Bengals and 24/7 Penguins vs. Capitals: Road to the Winter Classic. A man of many hobbies, I always seem to find a way to spend a disproportionate amount of my daily routine with two things: Flyers hockey and social media (much to the dismay of my hockey impartial friends on twitter).

So what does this mean for you? The plan is to combine these time-wasting habits passions with my love for writing to provide you with complete coverage of the Flyers from both my head and around the web, 24/7.

This is my second writing stint focusing on the Flyers, but for a much larger audience - so do be gentle. Different perspectives and opinions on the organization are welcome and encouraged. Just because I see it one way doesn’t mean I’m beyond seeing it your way as well, so speak up!

I’m always interested in interacting with readers, so find me on twitter (@marcs797) or email me (theobbreakdown@gmail.com) and let’s talk hockey.

Thanks for reading; Lets go Flyers!