The Lorenzi Line

Changing ammunition?

It has been a nightmare of an opening season in Columbus and rumors are starting to birth. The question is “what needs to be changed to start winning?”. Besides the obvious, which would be to start scoring more than 2 goals every single game, the reality may be a change between the pipes. Already it’s being discussed that may Jackets are being sought after for a trade. Those players are Kristian Huselius, Derick Brassard, Antoine Vermette, Matt Calvert, Maksim Mayorov and even Steve Mason.

The pot is being stirred with Calgary on the Bleacher Report to trade for 34 year old Miika Kipursoff. The only way this could work is by freeing up cap room for the highly paid goaltender at $5.833 mil. The top four paid players in Columbus are Nash $7.8, Carter $5.273, Huselius $4.75 and Umberger $3.75. The only player that would most likely be on the chopping block is the consistently injured forward Kristian Huselius. At his healthiest he averages over 60 points a season. Regardless I can’t disagree with this trade if it were to happen. He would be missed and would upset fans if he was healthy on another team for 70+ games but a veteran goaltender beside Mason would be enabling Columbus’ chances to the post season a strong possibility. Again the gamble of putting the future of the franchise on Steve’s shoulders is a recipe for failure; having a goaltender that has seen the Stanley Cup final would be anything but a step in the wrong direction.

Continuing on goaltending what do other teams in a rebuilding phase have to offer? You could take a look at the Edmonton Oilers. With Hall, Nugent-Hopkins and Eberle succeeding despite their young age Edmonton is looking to be in good shape for the future except in the crease. Nikolai Khabibulin was a disappointment last year but still has spurts of greatness in him. He’s 39 and can still mind the net with support. The Oilers are in the process of weaning themselves off Nikolai onto Devan Dubnyk later in the year; whose stats exceeded that of Khabibulin’s last season in every category. But would Edmonton take a chance on a package of Dekanich and Atkinson to replace currently hurt Hemsky? Or would they require Mason in a trade? It would be perfect for the current state of this team playing for 2015. This desperate trade would only put Columbus back in their current position either immediately or in a few years as Nikolai is 38 years old.

Perhaps Columbus could throw their picks away on 42 year old and Columbus 2000 Expansion Draft pick Dwayne Roloson. He has also seen the Stanley Cup Finals in 2005-06 with the Edmonton Oilers. He racked up a 12-5 record in the post season, 28-18 in his NHL post season career. Regardless of his age he’s shown that he still has juice but has wavered this season with a 1-2-1 record and allowing 18 goals in four games. Next year he’ll be and unrestricted free agent and only makes $3 mil. It would be in Tampa Bay’s best interest to situate 21 year old star player Steven Stamkos with players around his age. Synergy is the key to team building, something Columbus has forgotten. 24 year old Derek Brassard would be the perfect offer but would leave Tampa to appoint former Jacket Mathieu Garon to be their new starting goaltender. In theory this doesn’t sound as if it’s a possibility. The Lightning went to the conference finals last year and Dwayne gave them 18-12. Garon has only played two games as a backup but he has yet to be scored in the post season.

I again plead for the easier decision to be made. It’ll possibly cost less than a million and would give the veteran presence needed, Marty Turco. He isn’t assigned to any team and wants to play. The passion alone could squeeze a winning season out of him. There’s absolutely no reason to cut a team that already has the problem of only being able to score two goals. A simple pick up is all the fans want and I’m sure Steve Mason is asking the same thing.

Watch Columbus struggle against the Red Wings tomorrow for that third goal. It would only make sense for Columbus to win this game essentially because it’s bound to happen. Allen York is be the back up goaltender for this game; Sanford and Dekanich are still injured. Mathieu Corbeil was sent back to the Saint John Sea Dogs.

Filed in: | The Lorenzi Line | Permalink
  Tags: columbus+blue+jackets, rumor, trade

Comments

Dear Columbus fans…I have the answer to your prayers. Nabokov. Spread the word enough via twitter and w/e you kids use nowadays, and maybe your GM will pull the trigger. They have too many goalies and you dont have enough. Problem solved.

When it happens you can send me a check for like $10 to show your appreciation for turning your franchise around with one decision.

kthxbai

Posted by Red_Michigan from Kalamazoo on 10/20/11 at 07:52 PM ET

Tampa isn’t trading Roloson.  Trading for Kiprusoff makes no sense at all.

Their best bets would be one of Schneider, Bobrovsky or Bernier.

Bobrovsky would be the easiest to attain, because the Flyers have cap issues

Columbus - First round pick & Third round pick

Philadelphia - Sergei Bobrovsky & 2nd round pick

Posted by John on 10/20/11 at 08:04 PM ET

How can this article not mention Nabokov?  He’s the perfect fit for so many reasons.  First and foremost, he’s got a very low salary and would fit under the cap (CBJ have less than a million in cap space, Nabokov making only $570K).  He’d also provide mentorship & competition to Mason.  And he knows the Western teams.  Not sure what it would take to get him out of NY, maybe a 2nd round draft pick?

Posted by Jetts from Ottawa on 10/20/11 at 08:14 PM ET

If I’m the Isles I’m not giving Nabby away.

Low salary, and Ricky D can’t stay healthy for more than a week.

Nabby and Montoya might get them to the playoffs.

Posted by John on 10/20/11 at 08:20 PM ET

Nicholas Lorenzi's avatar

Dear Columbus fans…I have the answer to your prayers. Nabokov.

What? He may be the least paid goaltender on their team but he is also the most valued net minder they have. Besides his hiatus last season leads me to believe more unnecessary emotions in the locker room. That’s one thing Columbus doesn’t need at this time.

Their best bets would be one of Schneider, Bobrovsky or Bernier.

Schneider is gold but not a veteran he has not seen a complete playoff game in his career. Bobrovsky just got a raise this year so I don’t see that happening at all. And Bernier would be a waste of time.

All of these players are young, some talented but not solving the problem. They have yet to see what Dekanich can do but that time will come soon. No sense in picking up something they already have.

Posted by Nicholas Lorenzi on 10/20/11 at 08:27 PM ET

Da lil Guy's avatar

I’m gonna say the flames aren’t going to trade their goalie to get Huselius back.

Posted by Da lil Guy from Guelph, Ontario on 10/20/11 at 08:52 PM ET

I say break the bank for Tuuka Rask.  Send enough picks and prospects that they have to bite - maybe it won’t be that many as Thomas probably has 3 more years in the tank.  With Rask in net they can compete every night, even without top prospects, which they don’t seem to know what to do with anyway.

Posted by tuxedoTshirt on 10/20/11 at 08:59 PM ET

Or, the team could just listen to Vinny and actually practice like they gave a crap: http://www.bluejacketsxtra.com/content/stories/2011/10/21/prospal-questions-jackets-hunger.html

Vinny is easily now every Jackets fan’s new favorite player.

Posted by VandyBuck on 10/21/11 at 12:13 PM ET

Oh yeah…and tuxedo nailed it…Tuuka Rask would help too.

Posted by VandyBuck on 10/21/11 at 12:14 PM ET

Nicholas Lorenzi's avatar

Vinny is easily now every Jackets fan’s new favorite player.

He’s really one of the only guys who shows up. Rick has kinda been a ghost.

As for Tuuka it’d be great to have him but it’s still a gamble. He’s had one good season, like Mason, just not as great. He’s also not the veteran they need at 24. I’m failing to see how Rask could help Columbus. I hope I’m proven wrong by the end of the season because I like the kid but so far he’s not won a game and hasn’t had a winning season since 09-10.

He is definitely a better back up than we have right now. But again I’ll keep my mouth shut since Dekanich hasn’t played a game yet in the reg season at Nationwide.

Posted by Nicholas Lorenzi on 10/21/11 at 12:24 PM ET

I don’t know, Nicholas.  I guess we disagree on premise.  I don’t think a goalie, veteran though he may be, that is (way) on the back side of his career is the answer.  I’d rather take a shot on a relative youngster that has shown something at the NHL level.  Whether that be Rask, Bernier, Schneider, I don’t care.  Then let the three headed monster (Mason, Dekanich, and x) fight it out.  I guess what it boils down to is, I don’t think Mason is the long term answer and I’d rather get the jump on finding out who is sooner rather than later.

Posted by VandyBuck on 10/21/11 at 03:32 PM ET

Nicholas Lorenzi's avatar

Honestly my dream is to get Schneider. He’s got the stuff to be the starting goaltender for a team. Trading Mason for Schneider would be tops, that kid really has a future.

It just wouldn’t make sense for Columbus to take care of this correctly. I’m waiting for the day to read that Mason was thrown down to the minors for a week to build confidence re: Calvert

Posted by Nicholas Lorenzi on 10/21/11 at 03:36 PM ET

Ha!  Too true.  By the way…I love your presence at KK.  Thanks for bringing the Jackets slant!

Posted by VandyBuck on 10/21/11 at 03:58 PM ET

Nicholas Lorenzi's avatar

Thank you, I’m glad to be here. It’s difficult to find any writers for the Jackets brave enough to bash the team when it’s necessary. I certainly haven’t seen a writer in the Columbus Dispatch write “garbage goal”. Mostly it’s the writers who nay-say when things are starting to look up.

I’m an incredibly relaxed fan but have an unwavering passion for the Blue Jackets. I’ve stuck with the Oilers since before 2000 so this is nothing new, I’m used to the ups and downs.

Posted by Nicholas Lorenzi on 10/21/11 at 04:09 PM ET