The Lorenzi Line

Blue Jackets Wiz on Conklin and many other firsts

Alas presence in front of Columbus’ net exists! Steve Mason, in his purple pads that were later auctioned off to benefit breast cancer research, stopped 30 shots and caused the fans in Columbus to lose their minds. The monkey is off their backs and pants got tighter last night after dominating the Red Wings on all ends of the ice. The keys to this success was killing the movement of Detroit, Mason denying great scoring chances and Jackets following through with checks that were never attempted in the previous 8 games; most of all was collecting loose pucks.

Who would have thought that the Zero would have plagued the Blue Jackets this long?

James Wisniewski returned after a 12 game suspension from the preseason and boy did he ever play last night. He was on the ice longer than any skater on both sides with 27:21 played. What he provided was enthusiasm and a chance to start the next chapter for this season; one filled with intensity from Columbus. His ability to start the passing off on the fore check was impeccable but that was just the beginning. He was out there interrupting passes and hounding players down. His presence with the puck was something to be feared for the downtrodden Red Wings coming off a 7-1 loss from Washington.

The game started with the second line sparking the momentum with a goal in the first 21 seconds and R.J. Umberger’s first goal of the season. From there came frantic play from both sides. Detroit’s Darren Helm answered with a puck that squeezed by Mason hugging the post giving him his first goal of the season. Play continued and the first Jacket’s power play came about from a too many men on the ice call against Detroit. Bertuzzi served it and from the box he witnessed Ryan Johansen’s first goal on that power play and what a goal it was. He dished the puck from behind the net and banked it off of goaltender Conklin’s skate right in the back of the net. The period ended with Columbus outshooting Detroit 14-6.

Detroit more than doubled their shots in the second but you couldn’t tell with their lack of control on the fore check. Columbus was doing a fantastic job actually blocking pucks and destroying anything that would be considered a good shot. Sure there were drives but they were surely covered by Mason alone but the pain that was being laid on Detroit was taking its toll. Columbus had 30 total hits against 20 from Detroit. The most exciting moment of the period was a chance by Ryan Johansen rushing to the net with Antoine Vermette. Ryan took the shot himself with speed but was stopped; the puck trickled behind Conklin and landed on painted metal.

I almost feel bad for the former Blue Jacket; not for his poor performance the last two games but for being forced to start after Jimmy Howard took his leave for his family. The period wound down with John Moore slapping a puck from 58 feet out over Conklin’s shoulder. This was the fourth first goal of a season for a player in this game. Scott Aniel was stunned that it was going this well.

The last period of this monumentous game started with a 3-1 Jackets lead; that alone spawned excitement in the arena that night. Two things are worth noting in this period. The first is that Rick Nash almost died. Behind the net and against the boards players were fighting for the puck. Behind Nash came Jonathan Ericsson who stuck his stick under Rick and lifted it. Nasher fell which whipped his head onto the ice and into the boards. He was stunned and took his time getting up; when on the bench he removed his helmet to ease the pain. This resulted in a tripping call which enabled another huge chance for Columbus. Brassard has a perfect open door shot but would involve a backhand to forehand shot. On the transition to forehand the backhanded drag on the puck was held up on the post. If the net was inches wider the score would have been 5-1 at this point.
The game ended with an empty netter from Derek MacKenzie which gave us the fifth goal of the game and the fifth “first goal of the season” for a skater. A 4-1 win for Columbus and the throats of fans everywhere were destroyed.

From the stands:

After the game with Scott

Today Post practice

Notes:
Rick Nash became the first Blue Jacket to play 600 games in his last game with Ottawa and is four points away from 500. The next shot he takes against Buffalo will he his 2,000th shot.
Fedor Tyutin also hit a milestone of 500 games in his NHL career last Saturday versus Ottawa.
Vinny Prospal is 14 games away from 1,000 games played and 12 points shy of 700.
Antoine Vermette is nearing 300 points with 7 to go.
R.J. Umberger continued his franchise record of consecutive games played with 256, dating back to Oct 10th, 2008.

Filed in: | The Lorenzi Line | Permalink
  Tags: blue+jackets, columbus, first+win, mason, wisniewski, wiz

Comments

bigdee89's avatar

What? No mention of how the BJs are going to win the cup now?  Congrats on the win, but you need to win about 40 more.

Posted by bigdee89 from The Great White North Eh? on 10/27/11 at 12:50 AM ET

Nicholas Lorenzi's avatar

There is still plenty of hockey to be played. I’m just happy that they aren’t roadblocked by a losing streak anymore. Aim for the sky baby!

Hopefully Detroit can derail the Shark’s streak but honestly it won’t matter this early in the season. When it matters I’ll take the Sharks see: The last 2 years Stanley Cup Semi-Finals.

Posted by Nicholas Lorenzi on 10/27/11 at 01:25 AM ET

OlderThanChelios's avatar

He was out there interrupting passes and hounding players down. His presence with the puck was something to be feared for the downtrodden Red Wings…

Geez, Louise, it’s one freaking game. Yeah, the Wings stunk the place up pretty badly with their sloppy play, but saying the Wizzer’s “presence with the puck was something to be feared” is just a bit much, don’t ya think?

Come on, Nicholas, you know the BJs fans haven’t ever watched a Cup Semi-Finals series. They all think the season ends the first week of April. smile

Posted by OlderThanChelios from Grand Rapids, MI on 10/27/11 at 01:43 AM ET

Nicholas Lorenzi's avatar

Nope, they backed off when he had the puck. They let him have his options and he got every pass through. Passing was a huge part of this win, not a lucky bounce on Mason.

I loath those fans, in fact I had someone turn the radio off during game 4 at work. I sat in my car listening to the game on a smoke break and almost broke my steering wheel in excitement when Columbus decided to play. I came back and yelled at my boss saying “You’re not a fan, you can’t just give up” I’ve watch the Stanley Cup playoffs every year, as a person that’s also the fan of the Oilers I have two chances to see someone I want to play. Sadly I think my preference on NHL teams have cursed them both for over a decade.

Alas they lost but seriously you have to understand that I’ve been waiting 8 games for a win before this. It should be expected that I hyperbolize the retelling of this game. Honestly a win is a win, it could have been against anyone.

By the way I hate it when people say the “BJs”
Keep that up and I’ll start referring to the Detroit Red Wings as the team sponsored by Kotex.

Also I’m surprised no one has called me out for saying “our hero Rick Nash” most the time. I was really hoping someone would smile

Posted by Nicholas Lorenzi on 10/27/11 at 01:57 AM ET

mrfluffy's avatar

Heh…like those fans in Game 4, 2009 thought they were going to a 5 minute OT…

Posted by mrfluffy from Long Beach on 10/27/11 at 02:19 AM ET

mrfluffy's avatar

Bah…it’s all good. Being I lived in Cincinnati for 2.5 years…I followed the BJs if nothing else was on (and the wife didn’t have the remote).

Posted by mrfluffy from Long Beach on 10/27/11 at 02:22 AM ET

OlderThanChelios's avatar

They let him have his options and he got every pass through.

Every single one? Wow. I’m surprised The Puck Stops Here hasn’t named him the odds-on favorite to win the Norris already.  cheese

Go ahead, but you’d be wrong. Everyone knows the Wings are sponsored by Amway. (And for a guy from Grand Rapids, that really hurts.)

Actually, you should have been called out for this gross exaggeration: “The first is that Rick Nash almost died.” Really? He sure recovered quickly because he was out on the ice for the power play the BJs got because he fell down…without being “lifted” by Ericsson’s stick. I mean, the kid’s big and strong, but not that strong.

I do understand your exuberance, though. Heck, enjoy it. You’ll probably only get about 35 more chances to feel that way this season.

Posted by OlderThanChelios from Grand Rapids, MI on 10/27/11 at 02:26 AM ET

Nicholas Lorenzi's avatar

Heh…like those fans in Game 4, 2009 thought they were going to a 5 minute OT…

I still can’t believe the “too many men” penalty…sonofa….

I feel ya. My family had season tickets the first 4 years. In my youth I quickly realized to not expect anything from Columbus and played bubble hockey during most games. I see the Jackets as an adopted stepchild who bleached all my good suits, the comments I receive force me to defend that piece.

Posted by Nicholas Lorenzi on 10/27/11 at 02:28 AM ET

Nicholas Lorenzi's avatar

That wasn’t serious, it was a play on the team’s name. Get it?

I wrote it to be called out, it’s difficult to get attention on a site that is still primarily Red Wings fans. Thanks.

I actually reviewed this today before I wrote that. He wasn’t literally “lifted” but Ericsson’s stick was being lifted by himself. I didn’t say he lifted the great Rick Nash, instead the lifting of the stick caused the fall. It was a hard hit when he hit the ice, if I get a chance I’ll record it and put it online so you can see; a real neck breaker.

On Wiz, yes. In the offensive zone he was on. Most of the team was on actually. Everything was started to go tape to tape. A 300% increase from the previous 8 games. Kinda makes you wonder what the hell they were doing in the past.

Posted by Nicholas Lorenzi on 10/27/11 at 02:46 AM ET

awould's avatar

I think columbus played well, finally. I also think Detroit was terrible. That adds up to a 2 goal margin, not counting the empty netter. Washington managed like a 12 goal margin…. That’s the difference between an elite team and a team hoping to eke into an 8 seed.

Still, i would be excited for the first win too, if i were you.

Posted by awould on 10/27/11 at 02:48 AM ET

Nicholas Lorenzi's avatar

That’s the Jackets spot on. I’m hoping for a miracle 15 game run. I wonder how bad the odds on that would be…

I am excited and I can’t wait to go back to Nationwide this Sunday to see the Ducks lose. Note: All of the lowest attendance records in Nationwide have come from Ducks games. I won’t be surprise if we beat the one set last year.

Tomorrow is Columbus vs Ryan Miller, I’m calling it 3-0 O_o I must be delusional.

Posted by Nicholas Lorenzi on 10/27/11 at 02:58 AM ET

OlderThanChelios's avatar

That wasn’t serious, it was a play on the team’s name. Get it?

I got what you meant, but it’s not exactly a direct relationship between what we call the Blue Jackets and what you were suggesting. Unless, of course, your team really is being sponsored by BJs. But if they were, that’d make for some interesting “fan-appreciation” nights, huh?

I’m hoping for a miracle 15 game run.

Well, the Powerball Lottery just rolled over to $203M, so you should buy a ticket. The odds of you winning are considerably better than a 15-game winning streak by the Blue Jackets. smile

Posted by OlderThanChelios from Grand Rapids, MI on 10/27/11 at 03:54 AM ET

Nicholas Lorenzi's avatar

That reminds me, I gotta pick up a new pair of knee pads…

I think I’d have a better chance to see someone other than Mason in net for three more years without a decent back up.

Posted by Nicholas Lorenzi on 10/27/11 at 04:01 AM ET

redxblack's avatar

I’m glad for columbus that they broke their streak and finally earned a pair of points. I can understand the exuberance. It must feel weird to have a payroll on that team.

I live in Akron and people often ask me why I’m not a Blue Jackets fan. It’s mainly because I’ve been a Wings fan since the late 80s. I am glad the team is there because it’s a half hour closer than pittsburgh, an hour closer than detroit and a cheap ticket to see my Wings!

Posted by redxblack from Akron Ohio on 10/27/11 at 10:11 AM ET

Lindas1st's avatar

Good win and great post.

Posted by Lindas1st from New England on 10/27/11 at 11:07 AM ET

Nicholas Lorenzi's avatar

Hey OlderThanChrlios here’s that vid http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xkW7r4otURw

A bad spill to see a star player take when he was forced to.

Posted by Nicholas Lorenzi on 10/27/11 at 07:48 PM ET