KK Members Blog

The Most Iconic Goal in Red Wings History

This one is self explanatory, but should be hotly contested. What one goal scored in Red Wings history is the most iconic to you? Good and bad are welcome. I will never forget that disgusting move Datsyuk pulled on Turco, launching him into the "highlight reel bank." I cant speak to anything pre-90s, but here are some suggestions: Yzerman from the blue line. Lidstrom from center ice. McCarty dangling Philly. Larionov 3 OT. Statue of Liberty. Your votes in the comment section..

Filed in: | KK Members Blog | Permalink

Comments

Chris in Hockey Hell's avatar

I know the D-Mac goal was the Cup winner, but for me, it was Stevie’s howitzer against St. Louis off of the Gretzky turnover. ZAbsolute goosebump moment for me every single time.

Posted by Chris in Hockey Hell from Ann Arbor, MI but LIVING in Columbia, TN on 04/10/19 at 08:28 PM ET

ilovehomers's avatar

I guess the better question is if any other goal comes close to that one. Probably not.

Posted by ilovehomers on 04/10/19 at 08:41 PM ET

Steve in San Francisco's avatar

Gotta go with Dmac v Philly. I know Stevie’s v STL gets more play on the highlight reel, but Dmac’s was the Cup winner.

Posted by Steve in San Francisco on 04/10/19 at 09:42 PM ET

Kate from PA now in SC-made in Detroit's avatar

No one will ever equal Datsyuk. Ever. I can’t settle on only one Datsyuk goal. There are too many to choose from. Just my opinion…...

Lets Go Red Wings!!!!!

Posted by Kate from PA now in SC-made in Detroit on 04/10/19 at 11:44 PM ET

Agree.  I had just moved into Las Vegas and we had this 65-inch rear projection screen TV setup in the family room.  We didn’t have any furniture so all I had was a breakfast dinette chair for a sofa.  Man, I was tense that whole game and Jon Casey - with my hugest admirations and respect - played the game of his life.  I remember how he turned away even Fedorov right in the crease and I thought that was over.

Not too long into the 2OT, I saw Yzerman jump over the boards and I said out loud, “Come on, Stevie.  Do something, baby.”  A Gretzky turnover and a slap shot from two feet inside the blue line and when the shot went in for Yzerman, I was literally running up and down the hallway in our brand new home.  It was a perfect christening.

Posted by SYF from a deja vu of the 85-86 season on 04/11/19 at 12:23 AM ET

I mean, the correct answer is obviously Yzerman’s double OT goal in 1996.

That said, I’ll add another two honorable mentions: Doug Brown’s goal to tie Game 2 of the 1998 finals after the Wings came back from two separate 2-goal deficits (and Esa Tikkanen missed an open net that would have put the game away for Washington), then Draper’s winner in OT.

Posted by Sven22 from Grand Rapids on 04/11/19 at 08:10 AM ET

These two: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OnIbuoEcZbg&t=21m32s

Brown’s goal especially.

Posted by Sven22 from Grand Rapids on 04/11/19 at 08:21 AM ET

ilovehomers's avatar

Posted by Sven22 from Grand Rapids on 04/11/19 at 08:21 AM ET

Scotty’s smile after that OT winner.

I do vaguely remember these now. Brown roofed it and Draper being that alone in front.

Posted by ilovehomers on 04/11/19 at 11:01 AM ET

hockeychic's avatar

Yzerman against St. Louis.

Posted by hockeychic from Denver, CO on 04/11/19 at 11:20 AM ET

bigfrog's avatar

Datsyuk was a joy to watch. grin

Posted by bigfrog on 04/11/19 at 08:38 PM ET

Alan's avatar

I’m definitely gonna say Stevie Y’s blast in 2OT vs St Louis as my number one

However, like someone above said, Datsyuk had some pretty sick goals, too. Datsyuk’s breakaway in ‘03 against the Stars comes immediately to mind. Or how ‘bout the goal in 2012 against Nashville that gave the Wings their 22nd straight home victory?

Posted by Alan from Atlanta on 04/12/19 at 06:02 AM ET

About KK Members Blog

If you want to be a hockey writer, be our special guest!

We’re giving the KK community a chance to add their two-bits. Sign up to be a KK member, write your piece, and be heard right here on one of the Internet’s most visited hockey news websites.

How to Post

More details here. But basically, just use the posting page to write anything you like on what's going on in the hockey news or your analysis of the NHL and your favorite team.

We only ask that you avoid profanity, and that you're careful to credit your sources -- news media or other bloggers -- and provide links to those other sites when appropriate.

Need help? Check out our help page.