KK Members Blog

Talent.  Will.  Want.  Motivation.  Chemistry.

Do teams that win have all of these traits?  Some of them?  A balance?  No, this isn't rhetorical, I am actually asking.  I am very interested to know.  I haven't written a ton on Paul's site but for those who know I am a Red Wings fan a billion times infinity percent.  I have started writing this right as the second period has ended with the Wings in Anaheim.  I do my best to watch all Red Wings game as a hockey fan first and a Wings fan second.  That never happens but I swear I try.  So I watch this team and I see talent.  Up and down the roster we have talent.  Is it AHL talent?  I do not think so but hey, I am very biased.  So, let's save some time and talk about Will and Want.

Here is all in one Picture

. Will x Want = 19

I can't explain what I am watching.  I know that this team is built on the old school mentality of Will and Want.  When I see Hank or Kronner talking about the game (any game) they Want it.  And if it were possible they would Will it.  Going down the lineup I see parts of that but nothing consistent.  However, I know..No...I believe that any professional athlete has the Want.  The competitive juice that flows through them.  I have never played pro anything so my opinion is just that, an opinion, but I have played competitive hockey and I hated losing.  That mentality is not looking at wins and losses it's looking at losing period.  Period.  So I give the benefit of the doubt when it comes to professional athletes, especially the men that play on my favorite team. They Want to win.

Motivation.  Well.....I have no idea to approach this.  22, 23, 24, 25..... I wanted to continue The Streak.  This year heading into 26 (or at least the hope of it) I really did not care.  Before the very first game of the season I told myself to be prepared for a rough ride.  I knew night in and night out it was going to be a battle.  I do not believe in tanking.  I truly do not believe any team at least in terms of the players set out to lose.  That feeling or ability cannot exist inside of them.  Maybe I am dumb or naive but I do not think its possible.  And I sure as hell do not think that coaches or management would send that kind of message to a team.  So in terms of how I feel about this team am I being contradictory saying we have talent but we aren't winning so it must be motivation?  Nah.  So finally...

Chemistry.  I read an article recently, which I can not find nor have I really looked for, about players that are great/good/etc that are on the wrong team.  The setting they are in is wrong and they can not progress.  So I look at this Red Wings team and think about Nyquist and Tatar especially.  You could throw in Sheahan or AA or....Well anyone other than Z and Kronner and Larkin.  Maybe there is something too it.  I know Nike and Tats are great players and you would hate to lose them but is it for the best?  I think chemistry is the biggest concern with this team (please direct all comments to The Puck Stops Here).  I do not have the answer or even a theory.  That being said I think that is where we lack. Here is a unpopular comment.  I love Steve Ott.  I think it was a great signing.  Also, I am not going to get into how I feel about Holland or Blashill and management etc in this particular post.  In fact I am not even trying to make us fans feel better or provide any hope.  This is just what I see.  No matter what I love the Red Wings.  I love hockey.  I love Detroit (go Lions).  I can not wait for the new barn and I hope the people in charge figure this out.  Thanks for listening!

Filed in: NHL Teams, Detroit Red Wings, | KK Members Blog | Permalink

Comments

Vladimir16's avatar

So, let’s save some time and talk about Will and Want.

Hard to say, for me, as I don’t work with these guys day to day BUT…. as a fan I see some players that are very, VERY comfortable and some that are really confused. The lifetime contracts that have been out to players who some deserve (maybe) and some that definitely do not deserve. I could name them but we all know which ones are terrible. Also, when players with nearly zero impact or negative impact get crucial minutes I think it creates comfort for those players (Sheahan) and others who hustle but get reduced minutes at the first mistake (Athanasiou) probably get confused.
How can you get “will” when you’re comfortable and how do you get “want” when you try but get knocked down, so to speak?

Posted by Vladimir16 from Grand River Valley on 01/05/17 at 11:31 AM ET

Chet's avatar

it’s true. the D is so thin that even though 52 should’ve say the rest of the game after the first goal, and maybe should be a scratch most nights, hey lean on him like he’s duncan keith. it’s just a joke.

Posted by Chet from twitter: thegansen on 01/05/17 at 12:04 PM ET

Kate from PA now in SC-made in Detroit's avatar

As a Wing’s fan for many years watching this current version brings back memories of bad teams and since many of the teams of the past lacked talent,  I’m going to go to the coaching and management on this one. These are the people in charge of bringing together a cohesive unit of players and provide some type of motivation to get the best out of each player.
Good or decent players on this squad have visibly regressed and the lack of direction points to coaching or a lack thereof.  Some nights it tough watching players running around seemingly not knowing who to pass to or when for that matter. They look confused, a team with no direction, and that comes from not having a viable game plan in place for these players to execute.

Just my take…..........

Lets Go Red Wings!!!!!

Posted by Kate from PA now in SC-made in Detroit on 01/05/17 at 12:56 PM ET

MOWingsfan19's avatar

There are very few bodies on this roster anyone should be attached to, honestly. Given the contracts handed out, the team and fan base are stuck with quite a few untradeable contracts. Pucker up as this train wreck is going to be years long.

Posted by MOWingsfan19 from I really like our team on 01/05/17 at 12:59 PM ET

AxeMaster9's avatar

So I just realized half of what I wrote is missing.  Makes it a bit confusing, opps.  Sorry about that, I must have messed up something with the formatting or a poor use of copy and paste.  I am emailing Paul about updating the post.  Thanks for the comments so far.

Posted by AxeMaster9 from Flint, MI on 01/05/17 at 04:00 PM ET

AxeMaster9's avatar

Updated.  Thanks Paul

Posted by AxeMaster9 from Flint, MI on 01/05/17 at 04:53 PM ET

Kate from PA now in SC-made in Detroit's avatar

Thanks AxeMaster9 for your blog. I think you made some very good points especially regarding chemistry, and, like you, I like Ott.

I would prefer to keep the streak going. Period.

Lets Go Red Wings!!!!!

Posted by Kate from PA now in SC-made in Detroit on 01/05/17 at 05:25 PM ET

AxeMaster9's avatar

Posted by Kate from AZ-made in Detroit on 01/05/17 at 11:56 AM ET

Thank you Kate.  You, as always, are a bright light in this sometimes dark world.

Posted by AxeMaster9 from Flint, MI on 01/06/17 at 01:58 AM ET