KK Members Blog

Quack, Quack, Quack - A Trio of Goalies to Choose from for the Playoffs

In the words of Bruce Boudreau, "We’re in position with three good goalies. I don’t think I can screw it up too bad whoever I choose.”

How would you like to be a SCP coach, and have this trio of goalies as a luxury.  This does not even include Victor Fasth who started the season with the Ducks.

The complete story, which actually features Jonas Hiller at the link below

Filed in: NHL Teams, Anaheim Ducks, | KK Members Blog | Permalink

Comments

This is a luxury?

He’s got a bonafide starter who has even playing poorly down the stretch and two completely unproven young goalies with 31 NHL games between them.

I’d rather have one reliable starter than three unknowns.

Posted by Garth on 04/15/14 at 10:06 PM ET

awould's avatar

Posted by Garth on 04/15/14 at 11:06 PM ET

That’s what I thought. It’s like the axiom in football, if you have two quarterbacks, you don’t have one.

Posted by awould on 04/15/14 at 10:30 PM ET

I will not argue that one hot goalie for the next 8 weeks is the best recipe for capturing the cup.
Like Quick two years ago.

On the flip side, If Marc Andre Fleury flames out mid-series (which I don’t think will happen this year), how confident is everyone in the next goalie in line?

The Ducks can plug in any goalie and not change anything in the way they play their game.

Similar commentary can be found here.

Posted by Cubanpuckstoppr on 04/16/14 at 08:22 AM ET

awould's avatar

You’re right in that regard, depth is good. It helped the Wings when Osgood replaced Hasek, but Osgood was a veteran goalie backing up a sure-thing hall of famer. The Ducks goalies lack experience in a big way. Including this Gibson guy in the conversation of the Ducks goalie depth is ridiculous, dude has 3 starts. If this guy is the goalie they resort to of their trio of hot goalies, the Ducks won’t make it past Dallas. And commentary from the NHL PR machine to support the notion isn’t persuasive.

Posted by awould on 04/16/14 at 09:54 AM ET

Depth is good, but I’m not sure that having a starter who isn’t playing well and two unproven guys with little NHL experience at all, much less playoff experience, I’m not sure “depth” is the proper word.

I understand that the Ducks think highly enough of these two young guys that they were comfortable trading away Fasth, but they also don’t appear to have thought so highly of them to move Hiller at the deadline.

Posted by Garth on 04/16/14 at 11:17 AM ET

About KK Members Blog

If you want to be a hockey writer, be our special guest!

We’re giving the KK community a chance to add their two-bits. Sign up to be a KK member, write your piece, and be heard right here on one of the Internet’s most visited hockey news websites.

How to Post

More details here. But basically, just use the posting page to write anything you like on what's going on in the hockey news or your analysis of the NHL and your favorite team.

We only ask that you avoid profanity, and that you're careful to credit your sources -- news media or other bloggers -- and provide links to those other sites when appropriate.

Need help? Check out our help page.