KK Members Blog

It’s OK

Hello-  How are you?  I am fine.  No, really.  I am fine.  I. Have. No. Twitches. Based. On. Anything. Red. Wings. Related.  Background you ask?  Well I am a four time Stanley Cup Champion.  I have been to the playoffs 24 years in a row.  I have won six conference Championships and the Presidents Trophy six times as well.  What else?  16 Division Championships, Cool.  March 26th 1997.  Yea I was there, anything else you need to know about my background.  Well I am 35 and have been a Red Wings fan since 1990.  Was I a player or a coach or any part of the team during those years?  No.  The 19 people who are reading this understand.  To be a Red Wings fan is to be......No not to be.  It is life.  I remember the Dead Wings.  It wasn’t essential in my life at the time but I remember it.  My first real memories are watching Steve Yzerman play on Play (Comcast Play?) Network.  It was fuzzy.  Maybe it was CBC.  Rock 'em Sock 'em Hockey with Don Cherry.  However, my first real emotion was 1995.  The stupid lockout or strike or whatever.  It sucked.  I WANTED my Red Wings.  I was 14.  I got my wish and we destroyed the league.  Awesome.  And then we met the New Jersey Devils.  Wow.  4 games, really?  That was emotion to the 10th level.  I won’t go through anything past '95 because once again, the 19 know it.  When you fall in love with, well, anything at 14/15 it sticks with you for life.  No matter how much it breaks your heart.  Just ask the girl I was in love with at 15.  I still talk to her even though she is married with three kids.

So why am I writing this you might ask.  In fact, you might ask what the f#*$ is this even about.  Well it's about Stan Bowman and Dale Weise.  Kind of.  Its more about the negativity towards this Detroit team that I cannot take any longer.  I understand criticism.  I can appreciate it and a lot of times agree with it.  We are a spoiled bunch of fans. We expect a baseline of greatness and we feel... entitled.  When I discovered this site in '08 (I'm not researching the accuracy of that) I found a group of people that were as passionate as me.  I couldn’t believe it.  I saw the Joe full every night.  I saw the craziness through the cup runs in the late 90's.  But I have never met anyone as passionate as me.  And I have followed you.  The great 19 led by The Master Chief.  Mr.  Malik.  Paul the Emperor.  Katie, JJ, Gramps and continue the list of the 19.  I follow and I follow and I follow.  I used to comment a lot in live blogs but I stopped.  I read comments everyday but I stopped.  Here comes Twitter.  I followed you all but I stopped (not everyone but some) because holy hell, the negativity.  It came on STRONG in 1999 but we didn’t have social media like today.  Then '03.  Fine.  Skip to '09-Current.  Why are we so negative?  We have been so lucky as fans.  As Red Wings fans.  Kenny Holland went from hero to zero somehow.  It used to change year to year.  Now its day to day.  We win the man is a genius.  We lose?  TRADE THEM ALL. We win, we have the Cinderella team this year.  We lose?  F JIMMAH, TRADE NYQUIST, FIRE BLASHILL.  Maybe it isn’t the fans.  Maybe its social media.  Maybe we have all felt this up and down but never had an outlet.  I don’t know.  I love this team.  Win or lose.  Sure, I get emotional and I wonder what the hell are we doing at times.  I want Andrew Ladd.  Can't we get Erik Karlesson?  Let’s trade for the entire Blackhawks team.  What we can't?!  F KENNY HOLLAND!!! It is out of control.

Tonight I watched the Red Wings/Avalanche Alumni Game and it.... SUCKED WE LOST!!!  OUR ALUMNI LOST TO THE AVS?  BYE KENNY!  BYE HOWARD!  BYE FELICA!  Wait wait wait.  The real game is tomorrow.  We can get some points.  NO WE CAN’T!  WE ARENT THE BLACKHAWKS!!!! AHHHHRHRHRHRHRHGHGHG.  I love you Red Wings fans.  I value your views, opinions and emotions.  I want to be a part of our inside group.  However, Life is difficult enough.  There is so much madness in this world.  The Wings are here for our pleasure.  I won’t say they play a kid’s game because that is something we use when we need to throw away our emotions.  We follow them because we love them.  For some reason.  For me it was when we lost.  I was pissed.  I wanted to win.  And this team did.  So will we win the Cup this year?  I don’t know.  That isn't the point is it?  This is our team.  This is my team. I should know.  I have been here for 25 years.

Filed in: | KK Members Blog | Permalink
  Tags: abel+to+yzerman, detroit+red+wings, fans, the+19

Comments

AxeMaster9's avatar

Not to comment on my own writing but it was PASS SPORTS not Play.  Nailed it.

Posted by AxeMaster9 from Flint, MI on 02/27/16 at 12:02 AM ET

Wow.  I can relate with that on so many levels.  I’m a little older, so I started a little earlier, but other than that, it’s like you were delving into my soul.  I’m going to use this as an opportunity to adjust my negativity, that does get out of hand from time to time.  Passion can do that.

Anyway, here’s to a great reminder of what it is to be a Wings fan, and to a great end to the 2015-16 season.  Thanks AxeMaster9.

LGRW!

Posted by Wise1 on 02/27/16 at 06:21 AM ET

dougie's avatar

Thanks for this, Axe. It needed to be said. I agree wholeheartedly. Just. Too. Much. Negativity.

I stopped reading the comments at Georges house for a while, but now, I do a mental over/under on how many anti Holland diatribes there will be, before I open them.

Smart money takes the over. Such incredible content, seems wasted at times, due to what usually follows in comments.

My guiding principle has always been “If it ain’t fun, I won’t do it for long”

Although I will always follow the Wings, and support the KK site, it has become easier and easier to be less and less involved online.

Posted by dougie on 02/27/16 at 09:52 AM ET

Trade Axemaster9!!!!!!!! Oh wait.

Good article.

Posted by SlimChance on 02/27/16 at 10:49 AM ET

Kate from PA now in SC-made in Detroit's avatar

Thanks Axemaster. I agree we are very lucky to have a Team that at least gets to the Playoffs every season. I do remember how long it took to become competitive cause I am an older fan.

And you’re right, the negativity does get to be too much.

As you said,“This is our team”.

I’m all in!

Lets Go Red Wings!!!!!

Posted by Kate from PA now in SC-made in Detroit on 02/27/16 at 11:10 AM ET

Vladimir16's avatar

We expect a baseline of greatness and we feel… entitled

Hmmm…not sure what you mean there. In business I expect greatness from employees and myself. Is that entitlement? When I was young and played sports I expected greatness from my team mates and myself. Is that entitlement? Now, I don’t believe in ruling with an iron fist, nor do I believe in kids gloves. Lead by example is my mantra. Learned from my grandfather, father and influenced by sports figures like Gordie Howe, Barry Sanders, Joe Dumars, and Steve Yzerman. I expect the Wings to compete for a cup every year and that’ll never change. Don’t see why it should.
Anyhoo, my issue with Holland is before he took over the reins this team made moves, some bad, some real good. Now Bowman, Nill and Devellano had a LOT to do with that. He has made terrible free agent signings, flaky trades and has re-signed players for too much money and too long term. I’d like to say he lost his mojo but not sure if he ever had mojo. Successful people surround themselves with smart, talented people and he did… for a while. Now that Bowman, Nill and Yzerman’s gone who’d run the ship if Sir Kenny leaves? Draper? Letting Nill go was a huge mistake, IMHO. Ahhh… but what the hell do I know. I’m just an entitled type A.

Posted by Vladimir16 from Grand River Valley on 02/27/16 at 11:14 AM ET

Good stuff. Been following GM since his MLive days, but only registered here recently because of the rampant negativity that pervades *every* thread. Look, I get that people don’t like Ken Holland or how he manages the team. But does literally every comments section on this site have to devolve into a Ken Holland hatefest? There’s nothing wrong with loving your team and wanting to see them made better, but for crying out loud…

Posted by RyanVM on 02/27/16 at 11:49 AM ET

dougie's avatar

Soooooo… i should care less?

That’s not what I read, HTO. There’s no black or white “good fan” vs “bad fan” polarization in Axe’s post.

Passions run deep with the fans of our team, as well they should.

Not to put words in his mouth, but his very salient point is that from HIS point of view (no more valid than anyone elses point of view) is that sometimes he finds it difficult to experience the pure joy of being part of an online fan base, celebrating the Wings with our “fake friends”, due to the the argumentative and negative nature of online discourse.

Those who agree with his points just seem to fall off the wagon ,one or two at a time, as they find other things to do with their time, other ways to experience their “fandom”

I always heard that water seeks it’s own level. That seems to apply in this situation, and no value judgement is implied on my part.

YMMV.