KK Members Blog

Hockey Fans Call to Action!

I'm a fairly new hockey fan.   So as a fairly new fan, it was a surprise to me (and my husband!) how upset I've become about the current hockey lockout and the failure to negotiate a new contract.  I didn't realize how much I look forward to hockey each year and how much I miss it and that's what's driving me to write this.

There have been many stories online about how divisive an issue this is. Some fans are only angry at the league, some fans are only angry at the players union and some fans are just angry period!

So what could hockey fans around the world do to motivate the NHL and the Player's Asso. to resolve their dispute?  Why not ask hockey fans all over the world, regardless of their personal position on the issues, to write letters to the NHL or the Players' Association or both, to express their thoughts and frustration about the lockout and the failed contract negotiations?

If you like this idea, here are their addresses:

The NHL Offices Attn:  Gary Bettman
1185 Avenue of the Americas
New York, NY  10036

NHLPA
20 Bay Street, Suite #1700
Toronto, Ontario M5J 2N8

Fans could also communicate this idea through other hockey blogs, twitter and facebook to get the message out faster and get more hockey fans to write letters.

Maybe it's a waste of time and postage, but I would love to see both sides deluged with tons of angry letters.  Makes me laugh just thinking about it.  But more importantly, maybe it actually would put some much-needed fan pressure on both sides to reach a compromise.

Filed in: NHL Talk, NHLPA, | KK Members Blog | Permalink

Comments

One of the funniest articles I have read in awhile. Neither the NHL or the NHLPA, give a damn about the fans or the fans opinions. Unless the letter has money in it, or some type of $$$ attached to it they wont even read it.

Posted by HatTrick on 12/08/12 at 08:26 PM ET

petshark's avatar

I’ve heard that digital communications have been known to mess with offices, like some in the US government.  Snail mail can make a nice visual effect but it doesn’t shut anyone down.  So it might work to find a hub and crash someone’s network by sending a gazillion emails there.  But there are lots of new filters in use these days that can prevent things like that, since they did crash some government offices.

Posted by petshark from Nor Cal, and on Twitter @petshark47 on 12/08/12 at 10:26 PM ET

JBytes's avatar

The one statement fans could make that would have an impact would be to stay away from NHL arenas and merchandises when play resumes.  Since they won’t do that [they “miss hockey” so much], they should just keep quiet and not waste their time with pointless letter writing campaigns.

Instead of getting all frustrated and embark on an emotional roller coaster ride, I suggest you guys start getting some entertainment value from this drama.  Watch it as you would Dexter or Homeland: tune in to see what happened and look forward to seeing what will happen next.  Don’t sweat it; this isn’t our fight.

Posted by JBytes on 12/09/12 at 12:40 AM ET

Thanks for the feedback.  My favorite one was: (paraphrased)  Since fans won’t stay away from NHL arenas when play resumes because they “miss hockey” so much, they should just keep quiet and not waste their time with pointless letter writing campaigns.

Keep quiet?  This is a blog where members are invited to express their opinions.  Mine was positive.  Yours was nothing but negative.

Enjoy the shutdown.

hockeyfan48

Posted by hockeyfan48 on 12/10/12 at 08:07 AM ET

Or lockout or whatever it’s called!

Posted by hockeyfan48 on 12/10/12 at 10:21 AM ET

One question. How much money have any of you spent on NHL merchandise since October?  Do you intend to make up for the lost spending? Whether intentional or not, this is having an impact on both sides.

Posted by hockey1919 from mid-atlantic on 12/10/12 at 10:37 AM ET

About KK Members Blog

If you want to be a hockey writer, be our special guest!

We’re giving the KK community a chance to add their two-bits. Sign up to be a KK member, write your piece, and be heard right here on one of the Internet’s most visited hockey news websites.

How to Post

More details here. But basically, just use the posting page to write anything you like on what's going on in the hockey news or your analysis of the NHL and your favorite team.

We only ask that you avoid profanity, and that you're careful to credit your sources -- news media or other bloggers -- and provide links to those other sites when appropriate.

Need help? Check out our help page.