KK Members Blog

Having “A Hockey Discussion” with The Puck Stops Here

If you\‘re familiar with the Kuklas Korner stable of blogs and haven\‘t blocked any of them yet, then you\‘re very likely familiar with the Blog The Puck Stops Here. Actually, if you\‘ve blocked any of the blogs on Kuklas Korner from your main page feed (a very cool feature rolled out recently to members), then it\‘s even more likely that you\‘re familiar with this blog.

The Puck Stops Here is one of the bloggers who has been with the site for a long time. His posts are often pieces that are designed to take a statistical look at the world of hockey and make sense of the confusion. Sometimes he jumps to erroneous conclusions (like when he angrily typed up a missive in his own comments stating that he feels he would make a better GM than Steve Yzerman... to quote him \“I watch games regularly.  I have a far better background in statistics than Steve Yzerman does and can make much more sense of the numbers behind the game than he would ever hope to.\”) and sometimes he comes up with very thought-provoking material. Unfortunately, woe be to the poor soul who disagrees with a conclusion brought about by TPSH.

A recent example of this happened just yesterday, as TPSH posted a blog called \‘Early Top Defenseman\’. In this writeup, he names Dion Phaneuf as the front-runner for the Norris Trophy after only eight games. This is one post in a series he\‘s done in the past and will likely continue to do where he tracks trophy candidates from the beginning of the season right up until it\‘s time to explain what broken reasoning the PHWA used when disagreeing with his picks for the various pieces of postseason hardware.

As usual, there are people who disagree that one should be going so far as to say \“Norris Front Runner\” on this side of Halloween. When faced with this criticism, TPSH responded as such:

Some of the commenters here must not be interested in hockey as they would rather say its too early in the season than discuss hockey.  That is a shame.

This is a tone often employed by this author when faced with criticism. He often becomes accusatory and patronizing. If you\‘re at all familiar with my history on that site, you\‘ll know what came in response:

Hooray logical progressions!

TPSH claims that commenters who do not wish to discuss end of season awards in October are not interested in hockey.

THEREFORE, it can be logically inferred that TPSH doesn’t consider hockey to be anything more than the sum of the postseason NHL awards given out.

Trying to fight fire with fire, TPSH responded with this:

It can be logically inferred that JJ is just here to be a smart ass.  He obviously doesn\‘t want a serious conversation about anything.

To be honest, that\‘s a fairly good comeback from somebody who I feel has the emotional range of a toaster. Unfortunately, from here, the situation devolved. I made attempt after attempt to answer the charge that I don\‘t want a serious conversation about anything only to see my comments repeatedly deleted.  TPSH\‘s reasoning for deleting my comments are numerous and varied, but they all come down to the same thing in the end: that my comments in response to this accusation are not sufficiently hockey-related to remain public.

This is to say nothing about how hockey-related the comment that I\‘m just here to be a smart ass and that I obviously don\‘t want a serious conversation about anything is, just that apparently, I\‘m not allowed to have a serious conversation about a topic that TPSH first brought up.

After several tries to get my comments accepted and several taunting emails from him about how he would not let that happen, I settled on posting \“I want a serious conversation, but you keep deleting my comments.\” The only reason I can think that he would delete this one is that he does not want people to know that he deletes comments of those who disagree with him.  To TSPH, the concept of \“winning\” an argument is more important than having a discussion. What\‘s more on his blog, he is allowed to take personal shots at the intelligence or hockey-dedication of his commenters, but he will not accept similar responses, even if he\‘s the one to bring up the subject in the first place.

In my opinion, this is cowardly and childish behavior from a blogger. I, like many other commenters have found that his answer for persistence in asking that he follow the rules he sets for his commenters is to eventually start editing their comments in a way so as to put words on the screen that you did not type. I was warned via email that persisting to demand to be allowed to answer the accusation that I\‘m not interested in having a serious conversation about anything would lead to this and found that my last comment had been changed to this:

I would like to see Dion Phaneuf on the Detroit Red Wings.

edit necessary to make it a hockey comment.

As of this writing, I have still not received an answer from him about how calling me a smart ass and saying it\‘s obvious I don\‘t want to have a serious conversation is a hockey comment.

But I\‘m not going to worry about that… Instead, I\‘m going to take advantage of Kuklas Korner\‘s great blog-blocking feature.  Thank you for making this a possibility, Paul.  I only hope that being ignored doesn\‘t drive TPSH to troll others even louder so that he can use his tyrannical rule over his own little blog to make himself feel powerful.

Filed in: NHL Media, Hockey Bloggers, | KK Members Blog | Permalink

Comments

« Previous        < 1 2 3 4 >       Next »

PS: Can you give us an update on George. Not trying to be nosy or pry…just truly concerned about him cuz he’s been gone so long.

Posted by wingsluver4ever from TC on 10/26/11 at 03:09 PM ET

Paul's avatar

Posted by wingsluver4ever from TC on 10/26/11 at 01:09 PM ET

I communicated with George yesterday, he hopes to be back sometime this week.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 10/26/11 at 03:13 PM ET

Chris from NOHS's avatar

I wrote a similar fanpost a long time ago, in response to PSH deleting my comments.

Posted by Chris from NOHS from Columbus, OH/Grand Rapids, MI on 10/26/11 at 03:15 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

Back to the topic at hand, I still await explanation about how calling me a smartass and saying you don’t believe I want to have a serious discussion about anything is hockey-related.

I’m also curious as to why TPSH chose to make it appear as though I said I would like Dion Phaneuf on the Wings as part of a plan to steer the conversation back away from the topic that he had originally brought up (the topic of my willingness to have a serious discussion about anything, that is).

We have had this post up since this morning and I’ve been awaiting this explanation since the get-go. Since I was not allowed to have this conversation at the blog, I posted this in the members blog.  There is no topic before this one.

This post is not on your blog, TPSH. You don’t get to decide the topic.  You have consistently dodged accusations that you act hypocritically and that you troll your own readers.

At one point, your refusal to face these accusations is going to become a tacit admission that they are correct.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 10/26/11 at 03:16 PM ET

Chris from NOHS's avatar

And this:

Posted by Chris from NOHS from Columbus, OH/Grand Rapids, MI on 10/26/11 at 03:17 PM ET

42jeff's avatar

Continue the discussion but please let’s stop with the finger pointing because it won’t stop.
He deleted, no he didn’t, yes he did, maybe I’m wrong doesn’t add to the topic at hand.
Thanks.
Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 10/26/11 at 01:05 PM ET

Hey Paul,  just delete them all.

Posted by 42jeff from The greater Howard City, MI metroplex on 10/26/11 at 03:19 PM ET

PuckStopsHere's avatar

JJ

This is a hockey blog.  Even the member’s blog is a hockey blog.  I would like to discuss hockey as much as is possible.  This is not hockey but I have let you lead me off stream.

If you would like non-hockey discussed, a hockey blog is not the place you would like to be.  You frequently wind up in these non-hockey topics.  They are not welcome in my comments and are deleted as soon as it is clear that is where you are going.  You are not going to get any further comment from me on the snit you got yourself into in my comments yesterday.  You can get yourself into a new snit today or tomorrow and it probably won’t be addressed to your satisfaction either since it will be off the topic of hockey again.

It is best if we stay on the topic of hockey.

Posted by PuckStopsHere on 10/26/11 at 03:22 PM ET

Forlorn in VA's avatar

Posted by the famous bert mcgert on 10/26/11 at 01:07 PM ET

I would be very interested to see that.

Posted by awould on 10/26/11 at 01:09 PM ET

Except it probably doesn’t exist.  If it does, it probably only illustrates “bert mcgert’s” sour grapes.

Posted by Chris from NOHS from Columbus, OH/Grand Rapids, MI on 10/26/11 at 01:17 PM ET

I remember reading those when you posted them.  They were a huge factor in my decision to stop reading TPSH (for the most part, I’d get sucked in occasionally before we could block his blog).

I communicated with George yesterday, he hopes to be back sometime this week.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 10/26/11 at 01:13 PM ET

Awesome!

Posted by Forlorn in VA on 10/26/11 at 03:24 PM ET

redxblack's avatar

I would like to mention that since I blocked TPSH, the QUALITY of KK has jumped tremendously.

And this thread is not a hockey blog. It is a hockey blog blog. The subject is blogs, not hockey.

Posted by redxblack from Akron Ohio on 10/26/11 at 03:25 PM ET

awould's avatar

that was my point. the guy is a troll with nothing to say.

It is a hockey blog blog. The subject is blogs, not hockey.

Yes. If an employee is taken to task for having a poor work ethic, taking long lunches and spending too much time commenting on hockey blogs, it is not right for the employee to dismiss that criticism because it isn’t directly related to the tasks of their job. Not that I’m that employee….

Posted by awould on 10/26/11 at 03:35 PM ET

RedMenace's avatar

I don’t have anything of much value to add here, other than I’ve seen what’s being said about TPSH and have to agree.  It’s why I don’t read read the majority of his posts any more, but don’t have him blocked.  I have the same issue with a user on another board: someone I’d love to block, but can’t because every so often they make valid points.

I’d be an avid reader of any JJ “blog” (Gordiedammit, I hate that word), however.  Wit and common sense go a long way in the world, and he has both in spades.

Posted by RedMenace from the Church of Jesus Lashoff on 10/26/11 at 03:35 PM ET

bezukov's avatar

Posted by PuckStopsHere on 10/26/11 at 01:22 PM ET

Step One:  Learn something about what makes a pseudo-intellectual, and why its embarrassing to act like one.

Step Two:  Have enough intellectual honesty and respect for your own opinions to let them stand scrutiny.

Step Three:  Admit when you’re wrong.  We all will respect you for it.

Posted by bezukov from the kids are alright. on 10/26/11 at 03:35 PM ET

Forlorn in VA's avatar

Posted by RedMenace from A State of Insanity on 10/26/11 at 01:35 PM ET

You do know he blogs at Winging It In Motown, don’t you?

Posted by Forlorn in VA on 10/26/11 at 03:38 PM ET

VooX's avatar

You had a broken link to TheLinkGoesHere‘s posting about Yzerman’s abilities and Greg’s (TheLinkGoesHere) assertion he would be a better GM than Steve.

I won’t block blogs, but Greg’s repeated insitence of deleting comments, or editing them, for little to no reason leave me little inclination to respond to his grammar-school quality postings.  This Yzerman article was an exception, and frankly I am surprised he didn’t delete all my comments (although he did delete a few in that post alone).

Hockey discussion dies at Greg’s blog.  He refuses to accept criticism or opposing perspectives without resorting to laughable logical fallacies or immature name-calling.

Posted by VooX from Behind the Bar in the Hasek Club Car on 10/26/11 at 03:40 PM ET

RedMenace's avatar

Posted by PuckStopsHere on 10/26/11 at 01:22 PM ET

Hey, as has been said, the great thing about “user blogging” is…

... wait for it…

... wait for it…

... the BLOGGER gets to decide the topic.  If you don’t like the topic, don’t read it.  This isn’t your piece, it’s JJ’s.  Your insistence that *this* is a “hockey blog” is incorrect—this particular piece is a commentary regarding the policies and actions (perceived or otherwise) of another blogger on the Kukla’s Korner website, which is not your site.

Posted by RedMenace from the Church of Jesus Lashoff on 10/26/11 at 03:43 PM ET

RedMenace's avatar

You do know he blogs at Winging It In Motown, don’t you?

Posted by Forlorn in VA on 10/26/11 at 01:38 PM ET

Maybe I did, but then again it’s yet another hockey site I have to visit.  If he only blogged (vomit) here… wink

Posted by RedMenace from the Church of Jesus Lashoff on 10/26/11 at 03:44 PM ET

Chris from NOHS's avatar

Chris has never had a comment edited by me.  He is incorrect.

Posted by PuckStopsHere on 10/26/11 at 01:03 PM ET

Please don’t lie.  I have an email from you admitting it.  My sn at the time was moore00. You stated the following in response to me asking you to stop editing my comment:

Chris the alternative was to remove the entire post.  I think I made the better choice, because the hockey discussion is worthwhile

You edited a comment which altered the tone of my comments, then edited my second comment which asked you to stop editing my comments.

I only wish to defend myself as I am an co-author of a fairly well known blog in the blogosphere and really don’t want to be considered a liar.  With that said, I’ll stop as Paul requests.

Posted by Chris from NOHS from Columbus, OH/Grand Rapids, MI on 10/26/11 at 03:45 PM ET

PuckStopsHere's avatar

Chris

I do not recall this discussion you are talking about.  I am uncertain that it ever occurred.

If I have forgotten it, I am sorry.

Posted by PuckStopsHere on 10/26/11 at 03:51 PM ET

edillac's avatar

this is so lame

Posted by edillac from isolation on 10/26/11 at 03:54 PM ET

Chris from NOHS's avatar

Chris

If I have forgotten it, I am sorry.

Posted by PuckStopsHere on 10/26/11 at 01:51 PM ET

It did.

Posted by Chris from NOHS from Columbus, OH/Grand Rapids, MI on 10/26/11 at 03:59 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

Aside from the various excellent comments above which point out this is a blog about a hockey blog and therefore blogging is the topic of discussion, I am going to take this as a tacit admission that you have no answer for the charge that you are the one who drove the topic of discussion away from hockey and then started deleting comments without deleting the one which was the reason the discussion was put off-track.

Keep repeating to yourself over and over what kind of discussion should be going on in the comments of this particular blog post, but you are not the author and you do not have the authority to tell the readers what they should and should not be discussing here.

If I were as childish as you are, I would have deleted all of the comments above which had anything to do with Dion Phaneuf, as those comments were off-topic.

If I have forgotten it, I am sorry.

Translation:

I’m sorry IF I’M WRONG, but since you can’t prove that because the proof is what I’ve made wholly dependent upon what I can remember, I don’t actually have to apologize.

This is another example of the face-saving doublespeak in which TPSH will engage. He doubts this conversation happened because he claims he can’t remember it. If it indeed did happen, then (and ONLY then), is he sorry.  However, the entire topic comes down to his word against Chris’

I’ve said before and I’ll say again; I trust Chris is telling the truth.  I believe TPSH is lying and has come out with this magnanimous and contingency-based apology as a way to save ego.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 10/26/11 at 04:00 PM ET

redxblack's avatar

It is arguable that TPSH never blogs about hockey - he blogs about statistics and measures. He blogs about numbers. He does not blog about dynamic interactions and intangible aspects of the game that makes it much more than a compilation of numbers on a stat sheet. The actual hockey is not to be found in the box score.

Posted by redxblack from Akron Ohio on 10/26/11 at 04:12 PM ET

I must have missed the part where I said TPSH ever edited my posts when he claimed that someone said he edited my posts.

I’m assuming this doublespeak, disingenuosity and distortion are the sort of thing you were talking about JJ? smile

For the record, TPSH, best of luck in your future endeavors blogging elsewhere, considering how you’ve managed to pretty firmly bollocks things up here.  I doubt Paul’s going to dump you right away, but if you make it through the whole year here I’d be shocked.  I don’t think Paul is going to want his brand damaged by what you appear to be all about.

Posted by HockeyinHD on 10/26/11 at 04:24 PM ET

RedMenace's avatar

Posted by HockeyinHD on 10/26/11 at 02:24 PM ET

I hear Yahoo is a good place to be…

Posted by RedMenace from the Church of Jesus Lashoff on 10/26/11 at 04:37 PM ET

WingsFanInBeanLand's avatar

is having a decent stretch of games to start the season.

Decent stretch of games?  Garth, you dumass, he’s a lock for the Vezina.  Stats don’t lie.

Posted by WingsFanInBeanLand from Where the GM likes his team. on 10/26/11 at 05:01 PM ET

Hey, this isn’t a blog about locks!  JJ, delete this guy’s comment please!!

Posted by Garth on 10/26/11 at 05:25 PM ET

OlderThanChelios's avatar

It is best if we stay on the topic of hockey.

Posted by PuckStopsHere on 10/26/11 at 01:22 PM ET

I’m sure that would be best – for you. But as others have pointed out, Tricycle Boy, JJ’s post/blog is about your actions as a blogger, not about your so-called knowledge of hockey.

And, if I’m not mistaken, J.J. is a lawyer so trying to argue against the facts that he’s presented is a futile exercise. You’re clearly outmatched – as you are by almost everyone who posts (or tries to post) on your pathetic little homage to hockey math.

It’s unfortunate the “blocking” feature doesn’t work in Firefox on OS X. Because of that, I’m reminded on a nearly daily basis that someone as disreputable as The Link Goes To Himself still has a place on the best hockey site in the world. And that’s just a damn shame.

Posted by OlderThanChelios from Grand Rapids, MI on 10/26/11 at 05:32 PM ET

Teebz's avatar

This is where I’ll jump in as TPSH and I have locked horns a number of times.

If you need an example of where you admitted you deleted Chris’ comments, click here. While you claim that Chris was making ” a personal attack or pointless spam”, there’s no way to refute your claim since the evidence is long gone. That creates speculation. Chris backed-up his statements, and never once was insulting to you.

Not only that, but you confirm what I said and then try to twist the logic by ignorning the facts presented to prove that you were right and I was wrong. That’s petty if nothing else.

Your lack of hockey comprehension and your admission that you don’t watch all the hockey you claim you do was evidenced greatly in your belief in your own numbers in this piece. You and I fenced for a long time with me offering many chances for you to back down on Jonathan Bernier being the AHL MVP. I presented fact after fact after fact that shot down your MVP selection and even offered to buy you an AHL Live package so you could watch more than the highlights you admitted to only watching if Bernier was indeed the MVP, yet you decided to call into question my integrity. What did you have to lose other than pride and credibility? You had everything to gain, but you didn’t believe I would pay up. Nice job.

Before you go rattling off crap about me, TPSH, I almost wrote for this very site. I am still honoured to have been considered by Paul and Alanah for this site, but the more I read the stuff you have done, the less I want to be associated with the site. It’s the lying and the covering up and the baffling denials that really would question my association with anything to do with your blog.

Paul, in no way is this a nod towards your site as I love the other bloggers, but the vast number of people who are registering legitimate complaints about TPSH has to cause you some worry, no?

Posted by Teebz on 10/26/11 at 05:35 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

In the interest of disclosure, I’m not a lawyer.

But I have passed many bars in my life.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 10/26/11 at 05:37 PM ET

OlderThanChelios's avatar

In the interest of disclosure, I’m not a lawyer.

Well, my mistake. But it doesn’t change the fact that Tricycle Boy is clearly outmatched when gets into a discussion with you.

But I have passed many bars in my life.

And you count yourself as one of The 19. Shameful. Just shameful. smile

Posted by OlderThanChelios from Grand Rapids, MI on 10/26/11 at 05:47 PM ET

Lindas1st's avatar

Hmmm?????

Posted by Lindas1st from New England on 10/26/11 at 05:57 PM ET

Red Winger's avatar

I will say this about TPSH, he seems to put some work into his blog. Yes, I agree many of his posts confound me with their logic (or lack thereof); but, still, he seems to put a lot of work into posting here.

I rarely respond to his posts. One time I did this past summer, he dismissively waved off my comments, even though I provided substantial numbers and evidence to prove his assertions were wrong.

Whatever…the problem is his complete inability to take constructive criticism at all. All criticism is seen as a personal attack on him, and thus his inability to create many posts that do not devolve into accusatory sparring with multiple people.

TPSH, I appreciate your passion for the sport; but you should really step back and reflect on how easily you become defensive when disagreement comes your way.

Should you be able to create a post concerning who the leading Norris Trophy candidate is? Of course. But you should also be ready to defend such a post when we have yet to reach Halloween.

That is, obviously, merely one example of many.

Posted by Red Winger from Sault Ste Marie on 10/26/11 at 06:34 PM ET

Red Winger's avatar

Lindas1st, I like your avatar.

I’d like to repay the nice gesture by creating an avatar that celebrates the fact the Pens almost left town, twice.

What would be a good one?

Posted by Red Winger from Sault Ste Marie on 10/26/11 at 06:36 PM ET

Hmmm?????

I’m not sure “hmmm” is a question of any kind…

Posted by Garth on 10/26/11 at 06:57 PM ET

Posted by Red Winger from oft-injured shitsacks and half-evolved apes on 10/26/11 at 04:36 PM ET

Someone’s a little grouchy.

As for this whole point, why doesn’t the old, if you don’t like it, don’t read it line that always gets put up at A2Y work here as well?  If you think/know that your posts are going to get deleted or modified, why post there?

Posted by pens fan in baltimore on 10/26/11 at 07:40 PM ET

awould's avatar

I no longer do. But when the topic gets addressed directly, I put in my 2-cents worth. Also, the issue w/ A2Y is that non-Wings fans don’t like us or what we have to say there, and often that is all the response they offer. So, yeah, if you don’t like hearing pro-Red Wings talk on a Red Wings-centric blog, go elsewhere. I don’t go to the Penguins blog and complain about all the Pens talk.

But the TPSH blog is agnostic - it purports to offer up stats and analysis with no real allegiance to a team. And the issues people have aren’t with the content, it’s with the behavior of the blogger.

Like I said, I now block his blog and will never venture there again, but his behavior reflects poorly on the entire KK site, IMO. I just felt justified in offering my feedback in hopes of raising the level of KK by ridding it of this one blog.

Posted by awould on 10/26/11 at 07:48 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

It does.

I just wanted those who were not familiar with TPSH to know that this is the way it is so they don’t have to learn the hard way.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 10/26/11 at 08:05 PM ET

redxblack's avatar

I chipped in to show solidarity as I was also victim of having my comments deleted for challenging TPSH’s conclusions with evidence that contradicted him. It is a bad blog and I have blocked it. But I no longer read his statistical reading of tea leaves and chicken bones.

Posted by redxblack from Akron Ohio on 10/26/11 at 09:38 PM ET

i think the fact that any anti-wings talk on A2Y get you banned, while A2Y members routinely break KK rules might be an issue, too.

just a guess.

Posted by bob loblaw on 10/26/11 at 11:21 PM ET

VooX's avatar

Bob Loblaw:
Anti-Wing talk will never get you banned at A2Y or KK.  Being belligerent or extremely distasteful will.  I can oy speak for myself, I have never asked Paul to remove a comment at A2Y EVER other than deleting unauthorized advertising by spammers.

In regards to commenting, not blogging, I try and tailor my comments to the tone the blogger themselves set for their own blog.  I am a visitor and will respect the host’s wishes, in general.  I try to never swear or be off colour commenting at KK, while at A2Y I will definitely be offensive to some casual readers.  Then again, I am following the blog’s tone.

Sometimes those who set a certain tone don’t like the same in return.  I’ve been banned from several sarcastic/aggresive blogs for various offenses.  I was banned at Mile High Hockey for saying their goalie was having a good game;  he was.  I was banned at Pensblog for listing 10 reasons (pre-multiple rape allegation)Ben Roethlisberger (sp?) was a better sports figure than Crosby.  My posts were routinely deleted by Greg on his blog here so he could deflect criticism or a small joke at his expense.

JJ is a very reasonable poster and commentator, as well as an excellent blogger.  His mind is sharp and very aware of faulty arguments and logical fallacies.  Unfortunately for all of us, Greg’s blog is full of it.  For him to have EDITED a comment without leaving a blatent notice he had is, frankly, shameful.

I am honoured if people read my entire conment or blog.  I appreciate any comment in response to my thoughts.  I post under the same handle, mostly, across any internet message board.  When I began to contribute to A2Y as a blogger, I felt compelled to list my full name, for the first time online to remain accountable for every word I write in the real world.

Greg lacks that respect for his readers’ comments and accountability in general.  I question the ethics of editing without a posted record of any comment posted.  Deletion, at the host’s discretion, is fine;  hopefully they moderate their deletion powers well. I believe Kukla to be one of the most even-handed bloggers anywhere, he is very discretionary about his moderation

Posted by VooX from Behind the Bar in the Hasek Club Car on 10/27/11 at 12:03 AM ET

« Previous        < 1 2 3 4 >       Next »