KK Members Blog

Gosh, I miss Pavel Datsyuk

I fell in love with hockey thanks to Brett Hull and Dominik Hasek. The '01-'02 season (yeah, I am relatively new), with (everything about) the '02 Western Conference Finals and Larionov's Triple OT Winner honestly being the crown jewels of my fandom (although I did cry just a bit for the '08 Cup).

Essentially starting the downfall of Marty Turco's career is the moment I fell in love with Pavel Datsyuk.

And he has ruined (Red Wings) hockey for me.

Datsyuk is (or was) a player that will simply mesmerize an audience with dazzling Datsyukian dekes and dangles that leave jock straps hanging from the rafters. At any given moment, you knew he could pull off something magical. Even if it wasn't a goal; he can beat the crap out of Corey Perry and put the biggest, toughest, meanest guys flat on their behinds.

Pavel Datsyuk was/is special. I mean alien or super-human. At least he gave me that feeling. Save Connor McDavid, the NHL doesn't have that anymore, let alone the torture that is Red Wings hockey right now.

You, the reader, can make this comments section anything you want it to be.
Who is that special player in today's game? Or who was that player to you? Super Mario, The Great One, Stevie Y?

If nothing else, enjoy the wealth of hockey highlights!

Filed in: NHL Teams, Detroit Red Wings, | KK Members Blog | Permalink
  Tags: pavel+datsyuk

Comments

Temo's avatar

Fedorov was my favorite back in the day and Datsyuk after that. There isn’t a player now that makes me sit on the edge of my seat like #91 or #13. The closest these days is AA.

Posted by Temo from La Capital, Míchígán on 11/03/17 at 09:49 AM ET

The Hurricane's avatar

Slava Kozlov was my Datsyuk…...and when Datsyuk became my Kozlov I, like you, went over the moon with my passion for hockey.

And then….when he did what he did to my team…when he broke his word…when he snapped his loyalty in half,  I want(ed) nothing to do with him ever again.

I know the arguments. I have heard the attacks on me for that opinion. I realize that he claimed he did it for his daughter. I know he wanted to retire in his beloved Russia. None of that stops my ‘hurt,’ and none of that stops the fact that ‘the new normal’ of our Red Wings lays at his feet. This no offense **it show that we devour on a regular basis because WE are loyal, is because he isn’t here. I get the contract was crap. I get that it’s Ken Holland’s fault. I get ALL of that….but Pascha chose to break his word. He CHOSE to break his contract. He CHOSE to leave this team and his teammates in shambles. He chose to break the hearts of his fans.

I hoped Larkin would be the new magician. Nope.
I hope FRK or AA will be the new magician. Probably nope and nope.
Maybe when Franzen gets back on the ice he’ll mesmerize once again.

Posted by The Hurricane on 11/03/17 at 10:13 AM ET

Chet's avatar

franzen? i can’t even tell if you’re serious.

Posted by Chet from twitter: thegansen on 11/03/17 at 10:43 AM ET

ilovehomers's avatar

Posted by The Hurricane on 11/03/17 at 11:13 AM ET

I am an ardent defender of Datsyuk in the area of him leaving, so we’ll agree to disagree here. But your comment does make me think about for the first time in a while, why he couldn’t have stayed one more year.

But I prefer, instead, to keep thinking about how he should have been the MVP in 08-09. (Maybe that’s a blog for another time).

Posted by ilovehomers on 11/03/17 at 10:48 AM ET

TreKronor's avatar

There are some really good players out there, but they don’t entertain the way Datsyuk did.  Dats could put more stickwork into a single deke then some superstars use in an entire game.  He outsmarted, outmaneuvered, and outmuscled the greatest players on each and every team.

I never took a single shift of his for granted.  Back in 08 09 NBC had a feature on their website where you could “track the stars” and Dats was always the Wing who was featured.  I’d have the game on on my TV, but watch the NBC website whenever Dats was on, just so I could see all the intricacies of his game - even when he didn’t have the puck.

There have been many great players, and there are right now, but NONE of them entertain and dazzle the way Datsyuk did.

Posted by TreKronor on 11/03/17 at 10:51 AM ET

ilovehomers's avatar

Posted by TreKronor on 11/03/17 at 11:51 AM ET

I am in lock step with you. I think it’s that anticipation - where he could just have the puck and drop Logan Couture without even touching him.

I do also wonder how other fans feel though - do Lightning fans feel this way about Stammer and Kuch?

Do Buffalo fans feel that same “special” feeling in Eichel that (I’d imagine) they had for Hasek?

Posted by ilovehomers on 11/03/17 at 11:37 AM ET

TreKronor's avatar

I used to think the same thing, because it seems like Dats has been around for as long as I’ve watched the Wings.

The friends I have who root for other teams always always ALWAYS told me how Dats was better than anyone on their team.  My BIL, huge Hawks fan, always said he’d take Dats over Kane and Toews in a heartbeat.

The less time I’ve invested in hockey, the more I watch just for the entertainment and less as a biased Wings fan.  When I watch the game I just don’t see anyone who gets me out of my seat like Dats did.  There have been a few nifty plays here and there, but not consistently from a single player.

Posted by TreKronor on 11/03/17 at 12:00 PM ET

dreamsofhope's avatar

I loved Datsyuk. I loved Federov…. but for me it’s hands down Hasek. His fire and drive and ability to create while willing the puck out of the net. It was special and I’m sad that we might not see another goalie like Hasek ever again. His mask was a reflection of how he played… completely his own.

Posted by dreamsofhope from Colorado on 11/03/17 at 12:50 PM ET

ilovehomers's avatar

Posted by dreamsofhope from Colorado on 11/03/17 at 01:50 PM ET

I only wish that I was into hockey at Hasek’s prime. Carrying Buffalo and his home country like that? That is the absolute definition of special (not to sound like Babcock, overusing that word).

Posted by ilovehomers on 11/03/17 at 02:50 PM ET

dreamsofhope's avatar

Posted by ilovehomers on 11/03/17 at 03:50 PM ET

Agreed. I was too young at the time, 10ish years old. But when he came to Detroit he was on my radar and was just an absolute thrill to watch. His creativity in goal was second to none, and in hockey at any position was tied with Datsyuk. How lucky are we to have gotten to watch these two?

Also, great post. This brought me joy to reminisce. Thanks man.

Posted by dreamsofhope from Colorado on 11/03/17 at 03:32 PM ET

ilovehomers's avatar

Glad this brought some good memories and discussion. I may try to write more often, and not Datsyuk fluff pieces. We should all (well, most of us) take advantage of the Member’s Blog. Thanks, Paul/GM.

But that 08-09 MVP snub is definitely next.

Posted by ilovehomers on 11/03/17 at 04:58 PM ET