KK Members Blog

Can we please have a moratorium on any Tim Thomas posts?

I’m so sick of the political BS on this forum. I watch hockey to escape the soul crushing state of the world. Enough. Put a pin in it. There’s plenty of places to demonize your neighbors and treat them as some kind of alien thing. This isn’t it. I want to hate you for liking the St. Louis Blues, or something equally as silly where the hate is a facade. I want to be called arrogant because my favorite team is the greatest team in all of sports. I don’t like seeing political views distorted and getting distilled AM radio comments on my favorite hockey blog.

It seems every time Thomas gets mentioned, certain posters feel it is their duty to defend Thomas (as if he needs it) or attack “libs,” “libtards” or some other variation of the enemy-other people construct to make it easier to attack or dismiss other views. It isn’t helpful. It isn’t constructive. It makes me think less of you when I read the silly knee-jerk political hack-job you post. Hockey is supposed to bring us together (at least as far as the rivalry lines anyway). This is a toxic subject, and is the worst aspect of Thomas’ rejection of the invitation.

One last thing, I have a MA in a social science directly related to politics. I’ve read way too much and studied this stuff for a long time. I deal with these subjects professionally, I have a full-time job where I teach and discuss this stuff. I don’t want to feel like I’m working when I check into KK. This is the site I hit when I’m supposed to be working and don’t want to deal with stuff like Tim Thomas and the White House.

So can we give it a rest?

Filed in: | KK Members Blog | Permalink

Comments

RedMenace's avatar

+19…... billion.

Posted by RedMenace from the Church of Jesus Lashoff on 01/30/12 at 01:49 PM ET

Paul's avatar

I’d love too and planned on avoiding any more Thomas talk, but the Todd post had to read.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 01/30/12 at 01:50 PM ET

Mandingo's avatar

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 01/30/12 at 10:50 AM ET

Did you notice that they’ve edited his piece since you posted it?

Posted by Mandingo from The Garage on 01/30/12 at 01:58 PM ET

Paul's avatar

No I did not Mandingo, but a little too late in my opinion.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 01/30/12 at 02:00 PM ET

bezukov's avatar

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 01/30/12 at 10:50 AM ET

Did you notice that they’ve edited his piece since you posted it?

Posted by Mandingo from The Garage on 01/30/12 at 10:58 AM ET

No I did not Mandingo, but a little too late in my opinion.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 01/30/12 at 11:00 AM ET

The only thing more trashy and weak minded than making an unsupported slander on someone is not standing by it.  The sometimes nasty backside of public opinion making is that you have to stand by what you say when you’re wrong.  If Jack Todd can’t stand up for what he said, he should find a line of work that doesn’t require that of him.

Posted by bezukov from the kids are alright. on 01/30/12 at 02:13 PM ET

awould's avatar

I could not agree more. I follow politics very closely and have strong feelings on the subject. But I don’t care to discuss any of it here for all the reasons you mention.

One thing I will say though, is that most of the nastier political comments I’ve seen on these Tim T/WH threads seem to come from folks who aren’t members of KK. Names I’ve never seen before. Makes me think they are either casual visitors to KK who don’t care enough about the sport to join up, or they’re trolls who came to KK via some link on another site and just had to add their bit of venom to the argument. Probably the same people who spend all day on CNN.com or Fox News hating everybody.

And I don’t agree the Todd piece was a must-read; it has no place on KK. Jack Todd sounds like some a-hole trying to drum up page views and posting it will only result in more a-holes on KK spouting off about who they hate. The only news on the matter that may be worth posting here is something direct from Tim T or the WH.

I did notice Todd removed the Tim-Thomas-Is-A-Racist line from the story… which is weak - if you have the temerity to publish something so vile, then stand by it. Whether you agree or disagree w/ Thomas’ actions, or the media’s reaction, there is no basis at all to attack him as racist. Probably they took it down because Thomas would have a real good case for libel (at least in the USA, not sure about Canada’s laws).

Posted by awould on 01/30/12 at 02:15 PM ET

Can we please have a moratorium on any Tim Thomas posts?

by redxblack on 01/30/12 at 10:46 AM ET

Amen, brother. Well said.

Posted by Seaner from San Jose on 01/30/12 at 02:38 PM ET

RedMenace's avatar

Hey Paul, is there a reason why the “Ignore” function doesn’t work?  Is it just a bug in the system that’s low on the priority list, or is it by design?

Posted by RedMenace from the Church of Jesus Lashoff on 01/30/12 at 02:38 PM ET

ironic you dont want any talk of Timmy Toms but you’ll devote an entire post to the subject.  moron.

do whats easiest, IGNORE. im tempted to call you fag, but I wont do it.  oh wait, did I just do it?

i dont know, you figure it out.

Posted by bob errey on 01/30/12 at 02:39 PM ET

Paul's avatar

RM, we are trying to settle down the issues we have had first, then look at the Ignore feature.

Again, I ask all people who comment to refrain from name calling, it just doesn’t work here.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 01/30/12 at 02:41 PM ET

bezukov's avatar

i dont know, you figure it out.

Posted by bob errey on 01/30/12 at 11:39 AM ET

I’m at a loss to understand how anything you said was helpful, or how you can muster an iota of self respect when you make transparent remarks like that.  At least you’ve readily informed us about how much respect you deserve on our end, so, thanks for that.

Posted by bezukov from the kids are alright. on 01/30/12 at 02:47 PM ET

RedMenace's avatar

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 01/30/12 at 11:41 AM ET

Roger that Paul, thanks for the update.

It sure is starting to smell like the underside of a bridge in here…

Posted by RedMenace from the Church of Jesus Lashoff on 01/30/12 at 02:55 PM ET

It ends now, redxblack.

Posted by SYF from the team that re-signed KFQ and DFC by KFH on 01/30/12 at 03:45 PM ET

tuxedoTshirt's avatar

Yes, let us all STFU.  I am very sorry to everyone for getting into it.  Like Egon Spengler wisely advised, “never cross the streams”.  Last week the beautiful refuge of hockey got a bit too real.  I took the cake.  I don’t think I will ever make a post that isn’t a little bit jokey, just to keep realism at bay.

Posted by tuxedoTshirt from the Home of the 1937 World Champions on 01/30/12 at 04:11 PM ET

redxblack's avatar

I really think most of the bile spilled on the Thomas posts came from KK members who logged out and posted with unregistered user names. Perhaps that’s paranoia, but I can’t fathom a stranger coming into our house and calling out strangers.  I don’t need to even mention how cowardly it is for someone to post anonymously - especially since KK allows a registration with a free web-based email.

I’ve been pretty sharp against another KK member in the comments section re: his comments on this subject. At least he has the guts to wear it on his sleeve and allow everyone to see his true colors. Anon-trolls don’t even have that much decency.

Posted by redxblack from Akron Ohio on 01/30/12 at 04:13 PM ET

redxblack here showing how easy it is to troll away

Posted by fake trolling from under a bridge on 01/30/12 at 04:14 PM ET

Paul's avatar

Posted by redxblack from Akron Ohio on 01/30/12 at 01:13 PM ET

I do keep an eye out for that.  Now of course, they can always be using a different IP, but if I see the same IP from a member comment and then from a non-registered member, I start asking questions.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 01/30/12 at 04:15 PM ET

redxblack's avatar

You’re the best, Paul. I figured you’d be on it. I know when I post, it could come from three to five IPs depending on what network I’m using.

Alright, back to work. Time to go talk politics. (haha)

Posted by redxblack from Akron Ohio on 01/30/12 at 04:21 PM ET

I second the AMEN on this redxblack! That’s what I’ve been saying all along myself. I count on hockey to take me away from the real world and political chaos (even more so because I live in the middle of it being from a suburb of WDC). Politics and religion should be forbidden in polite company and on hockey sites.

Posted by VAHockeyFan on 01/30/12 at 04:51 PM ET

bezukov's avatar

The nice thing about all this is:

When people won’t stand by their own remarks, we don’t have to offer those opinions any respect either.

Posted by bezukov from the kids are alright. on 01/30/12 at 04:59 PM ET

This post could have worked quite nicely without this partisan statement as well. Please let us avoid political talk across the entire spectrum (no need for Libtard or Teabagger for that matter). If you write an article on Tim Thomas, you will get an opposing view and the cycle just begins all over again.

Posted by hockey1919 from mid-atlantic on 01/30/12 at 06:48 PM ET

calquake's avatar

I’ve just heard from a reliable source that Tim Thomas states he will not visit the moon colony when it is established in 2020.

Posted by calquake on 01/30/12 at 07:03 PM ET

Only a libtard/conbot like you would ask for this moratorium. wink

Posted by dzuunmod on 01/30/12 at 07:12 PM ET

redxblack's avatar

I wasn’t being intentionally partisan, I was being as objective as I could in reading the comments. Critics of Thomas were getting those tags far more often and far more consistently than the “teabag” counter. BTW - teabagger was initially a self-described tea party label (until it was pointed out that it was a “deviant” sex act). I’ve never met someone on the left who self-describes as a “libtard” (or “libturd” if you look at the most recent Thomas thread that has ZERO to do with politics). I knew several “teabaggers” in early 2009 who now find the term they used to use for themselves to be offensive.

But to point, calling someone a teabagger is not advancing any deep thinking, nor is it addressing any real salient or meaningful argument. I didn’t intend any partisanship in my post. Now that is included, and I’d edit above if I could. There’s no need to call someone a teabagger on KK, either.

Posted by redxblack from Akron Ohio on 01/30/12 at 09:26 PM ET

And I was just playing around, making a joke about no matter what you say, someone of a particular political persuasion (any persuasion left or right!) will read into it what they like and find a reason to call you names. No harm intended.

Posted by dzuunmod on 01/30/12 at 09:28 PM ET

redxblack's avatar

Oh, I got your joke Dz and thought it was good. I was replying to my a2y friend and member of the 19, hockey1919.

Posted by redxblack from Akron Ohio on 01/30/12 at 09:54 PM ET

Aphaea's avatar

Amen to your post. I love KK, but the past few days I’ve hesitated before clicking the bookmark because of the vitriol. I’m working on my master’s thesis in public policy and I don’t want my visits here to feel like it’s not a break from work.

Posted by Aphaea on 01/30/12 at 09:59 PM ET

Keep politics out of here.  Todd is a quisling coward. He could have gone to jail if he didn’t want to be drafted. Instead he ran away.  Modern day Philip Nolan.

Posted by 13 user names on 01/31/12 at 01:29 AM ET

It’s worse than I thought Todd is a US Army Deserter.  The lowest form of human life.  He would have been shot in any other war.  Sad we allow this coward to cast stones at anyone.  As a final point Whatever happened to I may not agree with what you say but I will defend with my life your right to say it.  My opinion Thomas should have went to the White House.  He did not, that is his Right.

Posted by 13 user names on 01/31/12 at 01:46 AM ET

tuxedoTshirt's avatar

Okay….I know this breaks the rules here, but it is humour, not bile

Todd is a US Army Deserter

is this seriously true?
A conscientious objector conscientiously objecting to someone’s conscience?

i know this smacks of more politics, but, c’mon…....final irony?  Is there going to be more icing on this cake?  I have a feeling there is.  I will not comment on it.  Swear.

Posted by tuxedoTshirt from the Home of the 1937 World Champions on 01/31/12 at 05:30 AM ET

redxblack - understood.

I think any article by Todd wil carry its own bias and therefore the comments in response to his article would also be biased. I’m just hoping the discourse can be civil and not try to weigh who is more biased on a scale based on comments to one article.

Just as it is Todd’s “duty” to attackThomas because of his political leaning, it doesn’t make Todd any less polarizing or biased. He’s just a professional writer and may be better at doing it than people that post on a web blog between coffee breaks.

Use of a term to describe oneself does NOT allow anyone outside of that group to describe them in the same manner if my PC training is correct. We all know of names that are used within communities that are highly offensive when used by others. So just because I have a friend that is “okay” with a term, doesn’t make a term “okay” either.

So in the end we are in agreement.

Posted by hockey1919 from mid-atlantic on 01/31/12 at 02:02 PM ET