The Sabres Observer

Don’t Blame Me For Insiderr Interview

Audio Segment Was Byproduct Of Fans’ Rumor Obsession

Some of you who read and hear my material might be feeling a little dirty today, the day after.

I am admittedly guilty of bending the rules by using my platform, on one of the most popular sites in the hockey world, to interview a person with no credentials other than cleverly manipulating a dull and somewhat depressing offseason to wedge himself into the consciousness of rumor-starved fans and begrudging mainstream writers everywhere.

Feedback on Monday’s interview with Hockeyy Insiderr has been overwhelmingly positive, but it’s certainly no surprise that reaction from some fans is on the acrimony meter somewhere between displeased and disgusted.  To those of you in the minority, I do admire the faithfulness to your standards and completely understand and respect your position.

But I don’t regret what I did one bit.

I didn’t create this monster, folks.  I was one of the many who made every attempt to ignore him.  My eventual efforts to rebuff some of his rumors on twitter were met by quick unfollows and terse replies, complete with advice on how to lighten up and view it all as entertainment.

As it turned out, far too many of you just wouldn’t leave him alone.  You called the sports station, hounded the beat writers and clogged my twitter feed regurgitating his nonsense.  As a result, reputable media professionals are now devoting columns to him and talking about him on the air.

To those of you who can discern fact from fiction but still were compelled yesterday to cringe, look the other way, press play, and succumb to the need to shower afterwards, I want to thank you for listening and supporting a decision that I didn’t take lightly.

Sorry if this is offensive, but one of my most important duties here is to generate readers and listeners.  In reality, an excessively large number of followers and haters alike wanted to hear Insiderr and put a voice to the question mark-stamped avatar.  The numbers say that’s not an opinion.  The interview generated as much traffic and buzz as anything I’ve done in my two years with Kukla’s Korner.

Well, except for my articles and tweets reporting hockey rumors, of course.

You should follow me on twitter

Filed in: | The Sabres Observer | Permalink

Comments

I didn’t create this monster, folks.

Nobody is accusing you of creating him, only falling in line (for whatever reason) with so many other legit hockey news personalities/outlets to feed him.

Do us all a big favor and start marginalizing him.  Thank you.

Posted by ryan on 08/21/12 at 03:12 PM ET

WingsFaninCO's avatar

I found the interview entertaining and felt no need to shower afterward.  I clicked on it knowing he’s a charlatan and just prepared myself for some laughs.  It reall was enjoyable to hear him squirm when asked challenging questions.  The only thing about all this that I find upsetting is that there are people out there who believe he has any “connections.”  Yes, he has been right about 1 or 2 things out of hundreds, if not thousands, of predictions.  “Even a blind squirrel finds a nut occassionally.”

If he wants to play his game, then that’s his right.  I just hope journalists and bloggers keep poking fun at him and continue to make him squirm in very public venues.  It’s a slow offseason and his meltdown is far more entertaining than the meltdown which is CBA negotiations.

Posted by WingsFaninCO on 08/21/12 at 04:15 PM ET

HockeytownOverhaul's avatar

You’re right, our fault, sorry about that Dave, we should know better.  Us fans always screwing things up for everyone else, FORCING you to interview you really didn’t want to, but the pressure was just too great.

Can’t wait for Malik’s interview with him, or Pauls or Patty Hoffman’s interview with this guy either.

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 08/21/12 at 04:56 PM ET

@DaveDavisHockey's avatar

I genuinely appreciate the input and do respect what you’re saying, Ryan and HO, but here’s the thing…  When you guys are ready to convince me that writing a piece on the CBA or Dustin Brown’s day with the Cup can garner half of the interest that this has, then please get back to me.

Posted by @DaveDavisHockey from Buffalo, NY on 08/21/12 at 11:21 PM ET

hey - start posting nude and semi-nude photos of your girlfriend and or mrs.  if its all about how much attention your installments get then swing for the fences, dave.

Posted by ryan on 08/22/12 at 02:16 AM ET

Dave, you have nothing to apologize for. It’s hilarious for these people to mock your piece and try to make you sound like you’re creating a monster. Theres bigger journos out there who are also talking about this dude.

But, here’s how i see this, this clown is ALL over Sabres rumors, mainly Ennis and Bobby Ryan. It effects the Sabres and it DOES suck many uneducated fans into believing this joker. This piece calls him out on much of the BS, including the Steve Ott/Derek Roy deal.

Like i said, i had no problems with it. I didnt view it as creating a monster, in fact, i think it was the opposite. You helped expose him more.

Posted by Lukas Kotecki from Rochester, NY on 08/25/12 at 02:29 AM ET