The Malik Report

The Cup’s coming to Ann Arbor on August 26th

This isn’t Red Wings-related per se, but as every hockey fan whose team has won the Stanley Cup fully believes that its rightful “home” is in the city where their favorite team plays, Red Wings fans will have the opportunity to see the Cup in what we tend to believe is its natural territory on August 26th via Boston Bruins defenseman Stephen Kampfer, according to MGoblue.com:

Former University of Michigan ice hockey player and current member of the 2011 Stanley Cup champion Boston Bruins Steve Kampfer (2007-10) will be sharing his day with the Stanley Cup with the U-M community on Thursday, Aug. 25. Kampfer will put the Stanley Cup on display from 11 a.m.-1 p.m. in the U-M locker room at Yost Ice Arena.

“I’m excited to bring the Cup back to the place that has made me the player I am today,” said Kampfer. “Coming back to the place I wanted to play at since I was the age of four is a dream come true. I couldn’t be more excited to share it with the great fans of Michigan as well. Without them, we wouldn’t have the best rink to play college hockey in. I want fans to be able to see the Stanley Cup and enjoy the day with my family and friends.”

Kampfer will be signing complimentary autographs. Pictures with Kampfer and the Stanley Cup will cost $10, with all proceeds being split between C.S. Mott Children’s Hospital and the University of Michigan ice hockey program.

Filed in: | The Malik Report | Permalink

Comments

Doug Miller's avatar

Very nice, although I was more excited about Timmy coming home with it, to be honest. I don’t even remember what date that was supposed to be, as I forgot to bookmark the info when you first mentioned it last week.

Sadly, I doubt I’d have time to get out to either event though, as much as I would enjoy seeing Thomas and Kampfer get honored… I’m going to have my elbows deep in NHL 12 hands-on coverage pretty soon, with the demo right around the corner… and then a possible review copy coming sometime after that.

If Thomas was having a more “public” event though, I’d make the time to attend that, just to shake his hand and personally thank him for being such an inspiration to myself the last few years. Watching him take home the Conn Smythe and raise the Cup this year, almost brought tears to my eyes… as it was just about as joyful for me as if the Wings would have won it this past year.

Posted by Doug Miller from Wyandotte, MI on 08/18/11 at 09:45 PM ET

George Malik's avatar

Thomas will bring it to Davison on August 24th, but he’s also taking it to the University of Vermont that day, thus the limited availability. I mostly posted this because of the public component…and I think that more than a few Michiganders who weren’t already Thomas fans became such during the playoffs.

Posted by George Malik from South Lyon, MI on 08/18/11 at 09:49 PM ET

Doug Miller's avatar

I would hope so, although sometimes the general mass of hockey fans around here (not KK - but MI) worries me at times. Like when I was at Game 3 at the Joe against San Jose this year, and between periods, they put up the final score of Game 4 of the Caps and Bolts series on the big screen…. which got a reaction from me… and a small handful of other fans, but not the kind of reaction it should have gotten, in my opinion, considering it was a surprising sweep of the East’s top seed.

Which honestly made me wonder how many of the casual Wings fans even know that Tampa is Yzerman’s team now. Granted it was between periods, so it wasn’t a max capacity crowd at the time, but it wasn’t that empty either. The comments I heard from fans around me in reaction to this were all about Ovechkin “choking” again, and had nothing to do with Tampa Bay, or Yzerman. Which was just sad.

Anyway… thanks for reminding me of the date… as I had thought I remembered, and it’s not good timing for me… as that’s the day after the NHL 12 demo is released, so I’ll likely be busy working on a write up of some hands-on impressions, and won’t be able to make it out, which is kind of a bummer.

I was pretty much rooting for Thomas all throughout the season and playoffs though… because he plays the position just like I used to, which isn’t that odd, considering we are the same height, and have similar mentalities. Plus, I’ve generally got a soft spot for any player, and especially goaltender from Michigan. Especially in the case of Thomas though… considering the story of his career. With an injury putting him out of play being something that I can relate to on a very personal level, given my own current back-injury from playing goalie.

Posted by Doug Miller from Wyandotte, MI on 08/18/11 at 11:34 PM ET

Primis's avatar

So he’s taking it to Ann Arbor, and then to Jackson?  Or has that agenda changed?

Posted by Primis on 08/19/11 at 01:28 AM ET

George Malik's avatar

Probably both. He’s got a full day with it.

Posted by George Malik from South Lyon, MI on 08/19/11 at 02:42 AM ET

Where exactly do you go to get to the UM lockerroom? It’s been forever since I was in Yost so any knowledge I have of it is gone

Posted by Luke from Ann Arbor on 08/20/11 at 11:54 PM ET

George Malik's avatar

Something tells me that they’ll take admission at the main entrance and let people know where to go.

Posted by George Malik from South Lyon, MI on 08/21/11 at 04:25 AM ET