The Malik Report

Talking about subjective stats…

As noted in my little quick take, the Detroit Red Wings were supposedly out-hit 33 to 2 over 60 minutes of play against the Columbus Blue Jackets, and the Free Press’s Helene St. James reports that the 5-2 winners kind-of-sort-of laughed it off:

Lot of laughter in #RedWings locker room after seeing local stats crew put CBJ down for 33 hits, DET, 2. Wings likely to talk to NHL HQ

For discussion’s sake: what stat do you think is most subjectively kept by your team’s stats crew? I find that the Wings’ crew may or may not occasionally give Pavel Datsyuk an extra takeaway, and tend to record every time the puck hits the end boards as a missed shot, but other than a few deviations from the norm, they’re really excellent. Do you find it a little strange that the home team almost always has both more takeaways and giveaways than its opponent, or that the home team almost always finds its way to register more hits than its opponent, regardless of how physical the game might be?

Filed in: | The Malik Report | Permalink

Comments

mrfluffy's avatar

Someone was a bit…biased.

No really…  smile

Posted by mrfluffy from Long Beach on 02/29/12 at 01:52 AM ET

You know, that’s just begging for a stat geek to research that topic of home ice bias,....

Posted by Bugsy on 02/29/12 at 01:56 AM ET

Think Don Cherry was working with the stat crew tonight, trying to prove his “point” ?
I bet the Bruins had more that two hits tonight !

Posted by mc keeper on 02/29/12 at 02:13 AM ET

Take this for what its worth according to espn stats 3 players have registered over 100 hits during away games compared to 15 players during home games.  Some players have only have half there home total during away games.

Posted by Breuker19 from Grand Rapids on 02/29/12 at 02:17 AM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

The two Red Wings with hits?

Darren Helm - 11:58 of the 1st period on RJ Umberger in the neutral zone
Brendan Smith - 2:33 of the 2nd on Derek MacKenzie in the defensive zone.

I went back on the DVR and re-watched them.  They were indeed hits.. I guess.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 02/29/12 at 02:31 AM ET

Most places, high or wide shots that the home team’s goalie catches or blocks away count as saves. Sometimes players are credited for blocked shots when they get in the way of a pass or clearing attempt.

Posted by bleep bloop on 02/29/12 at 02:42 AM ET

DocF's avatar

The stat crew must be Howsom’s kids.

Posted by DocF from Now: Lynn Haven, FL; was Reidsville, NC on 02/29/12 at 03:19 AM ET

This may be true George but I’ve seen games on the road where he has four or five takeaways and gets credit for one or even none. Also Joe Thornton being anywhere near Datsyuk, last year, in takeaways says alot about this stat. I mean, SERIOUSLY…JOE THORNTON?

Posted by From The Hockey Wastelands from Cleveland on 02/29/12 at 11:10 AM ET

redxblack's avatar

Usually, I don’t care about such silliness. This CBJ game was so beyond the pale of reasonable stat keeping that it was laughable. The only bummer is I’m getting KILLED in my fantasy league on hits from last night’s game. Nearly my entire roster is DRW players, so I registered 1 hit for the week so far (Helm).

Posted by redxblack from Akron Ohio on 02/29/12 at 11:28 AM ET

drimo's avatar

The total irony of this is that FS Ohio ran a behind the scenes look at the off-ice officiating tracking stats like hits, shots, + / -, etc. during the first intermission!

Posted by drimo from Cincinnati, OH on 02/29/12 at 11:32 AM ET

Nathan's avatar

I’m with ya, George. The Wings scorekeepers definitely give Pav a little extra credit on the takeaways. And the road teams almost always does this with hits. They buy into the lie that the Wings are old and don’t play physical hockey. Guess they haven’t watched this team since Babcock’s second season. Nobody is mistaking them for heavyweights, but nobody exceeds their average “compete” level.

Posted by Nathan from the scoresheet! on 02/29/12 at 11:46 AM ET

I can’t say I saw many hits by the Red Wings, two may not be that far off.
The BJ were certainly trying to run us, but the 33 quality hits by them seems high.

Posted by Jeff Rose from Oakland, CA on 02/29/12 at 02:31 PM ET

awould's avatar

I accidentally recorded the Columbus feed on my DVR and had to suffer through the first half of the game w/ their announcers. I caught the 2nd half w/ Ken and Mick. The Columbus announcers kept bringing up the fact that they were outhitting detroit by like 23-1 at some point. Then some Detroit player laid a big hit and the Columbus crew mentioned that it was a big hit, but then a couple minutes later were still talking about how Detroit had only 1 hit. It was pretty bad.

Posted by awould on 02/29/12 at 02:36 PM ET

Did Wisniewski get credited for a hit when he punched Helm in the face?

Posted by Justin from Richmond, VA on 02/29/12 at 02:48 PM ET