The Malik Report

St. James: Mike Modano may play a post-Red Wings farewell season

I don’t know what to think about this, per the Free Press’s Helene St. James: former Red Wings forward Mike Modano is still leaning toward retiring, but he’s a little more insistent than he was a month ago about wishing to continue playing:

“I don’t think I’ve completely shut the door on that,” he said Wednesday. “I’ll think about it the first two weeks of July, see if anybody calls. If not, then I’ll say that’s it. But it depends where and with whom—what the opportunity is.”

Modano, who turned 41 on Tuesday, spent the past season with the Red Wings. The Wings wooed him last summer, seeing him as an especially valuable player come playoff time, but that picture dimmed when Westland’s Modano suffered a lacerated right wrist in late November. By the time he recovered from surgery and returned it was late February, and he struggled to make an impact. He was a healthy scratch during a home game against Minnesota—leaving him one game short of 1,500 by the end of the regular season—and then he was a healthy scratch most of the playoffs.

After the playoffs, Modano said his initial thoughts “were just to get away from the game, be done with it.” But now that he has had time to put things in perspective, “you think about how you want one more shot at it, one more chance, how you want to go through that experience again. It would be fulfilling.”

Continued

Filed in: | The Malik Report | Permalink

Comments

Chet's avatar

GM, no disrespect intended toward Mo, but which if any contender would sign him? seems like his lukewarm season in detroit, a notoriously good place for older players, wouldn’t present much of an upside. in other words, if he can’t make it in detroit, can he make it anywhere?

Posted by Chet from twitter: thegansen on 06/09/11 at 07:39 AM ET

George Malik's avatar

I’m guessing Dallas or Minnesota are Modano’s hopes. Or maybe a California team?

Posted by George Malik from South Lyon, MI on 06/09/11 at 07:42 AM ET

Wings_in_NYC's avatar

Good luck in all your future endeavors, Mike. The Wings seriously don’t need this guy back.

Posted by Wings_in_NYC on 06/09/11 at 12:38 PM ET

Primis's avatar

Because the answer to overwhelming evidence you played too long is to try and play even longer???

Posted by Primis on 06/09/11 at 01:21 PM ET

MsRedWinger's avatar

Mikey, nobody is going to call.  Sorry, guy.

Posted by MsRedWinger from Flori-duh on 06/09/11 at 01:51 PM ET

HockeytownOverhaul's avatar

seriously.  his teams in the playoffs and bring in his ba-ha boo-hoo to the locker room.  He was known to be a flake, I overlooked it, thinking his talent and experience would be a benefit but instead he was always about me me me.. you can say he wasn’t and the Wings can say he was classy, but coming out during the playoffs talking about how this is it, isn’t a classy move.  I feel like Franzen has a little bit of Mike Modano in him as far as mental strength and spending a season with him I’m sure didn’t help the Mule out.

You can’t tell me Todd “What’s defense?” Bertuzzi can come to Detroit and be successful but the All-time leading American-born scorer can’t hack it?  It was all mental and all lazy weakness.

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 06/09/11 at 07:16 PM ET