The Malik Report

Red Wings’ summer prospect camp shifts to Traverse City

File this one under incredibly short notice, via MLive’s Ansar Khan: the Red Wings have shifted the venue for this summer’s strength and conditioning prospect camp to Traverse City, MI, leaving this blogger in a bit of a financial lurch:

The team’s annual summer prospects camp will shift from Joe Louis Arena to Centre I.C.E. in Traverse City. It will run from July 7-14 and is open to the public.

[Tomas] Tatar, [Cory] Emmerton, Brendan Smith, Gustav Nyquist, Landon Ferraro and Riley Sheahan are among the top prospects who will attend. Nill said 2010 draft picks Calle Jarnkrok (51st overall) and Teemu Pulkkinen (111th) might be there as well.

Oh boy…

Filed in: | The Malik Report | Permalink

Comments

Forlorn in VA's avatar

Repost:

I don’t know how I can afford to go on my own. I don’t have $800 to blow on a week’s worth of hotel stay, gas and food on such short notice.

Yikes.  Are you still planning on doing the training camp too?  Throw up a link, let people donate, and if you don’t get enough for the prospect camp, use it for training camp.

Posted by Forlorn in VA on 05/19/11 at 08:27 PM ET

thethirdcoast's avatar

George,

There’s a hostel in Lake Ann about 14 miles south of Traverse. They have a full kitchen and beds are $16 a night, but their site says the max stay is 4 nights. Still might be worth a shot:

Lake Ann Hostel

Posted by thethirdcoast from Algiers, DZ on 05/19/11 at 08:31 PM ET

thethirdcoast's avatar

Also, the site for the place I linked claims they serve, “A tasty breakfast daily.”

That might help with food costs a bit.

Posted by thethirdcoast from Algiers, DZ on 05/19/11 at 08:32 PM ET

thethirdcoast's avatar

George,

Another idea if money is really tight - couchsurfing.

Couchsurfing.org lists about 10 people with couches in the Traverse City area. Might be worth a shot!

Posted by thethirdcoast from Algiers, DZ on 05/19/11 at 08:39 PM ET

George Malik's avatar

I’d be really happy to split the bill with another Wings fan who can’t afford to go on their own, too.

Posted by George Malik from South Lyon, MI on 05/19/11 at 09:04 PM ET

George,

Want to warn you that prospect camp is in the middle of the Cherry Festival (July 2-9) this year. You’d be lucky to find a room, and if you do….well, expect premium rates.

Not trying to discourage you from coming, but just warning you to plan well in advance and be prepared for the cost of things during The Festival.

BTW: Staying in Lake Ann is on the total opposite side of town as the Centre Ice…with downtown in between…wouldn’t advise it (even at $16 - which don’t think that will be rate that week).

Posted by wingsluver4ever from TC on 05/20/11 at 12:49 AM ET

George Malik's avatar

Sonofagun…

Yeah, I like staying as close to Centre Ice as possible. I will have to do my best to see what I can do.

Posted by George Malik from South Lyon, MI on 05/20/11 at 04:37 AM ET

Hippy Dave's avatar

Hey, it’s great camping weather that time of year, and plenty of spots on the Boardman river…

Posted by Hippy Dave from Portland by way of Detroit on 05/23/11 at 01:36 AM ET

I’m thinking of going to this for the first time, is there a schedule that comes out as to what will be going on when?

Posted by Ryan from Michigan on 05/31/11 at 12:50 PM ET