The Malik Report

Red Wings late evening news: on Chelios, Schultz and Parise

Updated with more from Chelios at 11:23 PM: The Red Wings are going to move quickly to fill the assistant coaching vacancy created by Jeff Blashill’s demotion to the Grand Rapids Griffins, and while it’s assumed that the Wings will look internally to find a candidate to succeed Blashill, Red Wings executive and player mentor Chris Chelios tells the Macomb Daily’s Chuck Pleiness that he’s not interested in the job:

“I’m not ready to take over a full responsibility job like that,” Chelios said in a phone interview Tuesday. “I think I’m two years away from actually taking a full-time job again.”
“I can honestly say I would hope to find a position like that in my future, but right now I’m pretty content with having that freedom of going to see my kids play,” Chelios said.

Chelios worked with the Griffins’ young defensemen last year, on and off the ice. He was in Grand Rapids between two and three days a week and attended nearly every home game. Chelios also helped in the press box, sending down information to the coaching staff regarding special teams.

“Obviously there’s been a coaching change in Grand Rapids with Blash going down there and taking over as head coach, so I haven’t had a chance to talk to him yet,” said Chelios, who did make a few of the road trips with the Griffins. “I’m sure we will. I’d like to be asked back to coaching again.”

Chelios is intrigued by the Wings’ attempts to sign University of Wisconsin defenseman turned free agent Justin Schultz, however…

“I’ve seen him play against Michigan State a couple of times and I’ve seen him play in a couple of tournaments,” Chelios said. “He’s a big, strong kid with a real heavy shot.”

Schultz, who turns 22 on July 6, became an unrestricted free agent on Monday and can start talking to teams about a contract, but can’t be signed until July 1. Schultz is a two-time Hobey Baker finalist and WCHA defensive player of the year. He totaled 40 goals and 73 assists in 121 games over three seasons with the Badgers.

The Wings have had their share of Wisconsin defensemen including Brendan Smith, who was Schultz’s teammate in 2009-10, and Chelios (1981-’83).

“You’ll never know until he does it, but with his size, his strength and his skating ability, if he’s not ready he’s really darn close,” Chelios said. “College is a lot different than the NHL. The jump from college to the AHL is a lot easier. Physically there’s no question he’s ready.”’

And we’re going to take something of a parallel tack as the Windsor Star’s Dave Waddell spoke to Wings GM Ken Holland about attempting to find a replacement for Blashill within the next 7-10 days…

“Mike Babcock and I are talking about names,” Holland said. “Mike is talking to a few people. We’ve got a short list we’re happy with. We want to make sure we’re not missing anybody. Mike wants to take a few more days.”
“We’re not sure if we want a defenceman who’s played the game or a coach on staff who’s got coaching experience,” Holland said. “We’re open to different types of candidates.”

The Wings have a plethora of recently retired players on staff, but none beyond Jiri Fischer’s World Junior experience, has any coaching experience nor have they expressed any public interest in coaching.

Windsor Spitfires coach Bob Boughner was a candidate last summer and fits the Wings’ criteria well this time around. However, his recent statements are he’s focused on staying in Windsor and trying to build for the Spits’ Memorial Cup bid. Boughner has also said he’d much prefer a head coaching position. Boughner was unavailable for comment Tuesday.

And when University of Wisconsin coach Mike Eaves was in Windsor to attend the Roger Neilson Coaches Clinic earlier this month, he talked up Schultz’s game as well:

“The thing about Justin is, on a day-to-day basis, he’s wired to be the hardest working player out there in practice,” Eaves said. “He’s flying every drill, jersey flapping. He’s also a competitive kid. He’s an overachiever, but one with great skill. He’s has a good chance to be a good NHL player.”

Eaves said Schultz is also a very coachable player. He listens to advice well from a variety of sources. Eaves credited Schultz’s good friend Jake Gardiner (Toronto Maple Leafs) with influencing him to play a third year of college hockey.

“His buddy Jake told him he could skate and had the skills, but he’d playing against real strong men,” Eaves said. “The NHL is a man’s league. It was important he got bigger and stronger and learned to dominate without the puck against the younger guys first. He did that this season.”

Waddell also confirms that the Wings are willing to give Schultz not just a spot on the training camp roster, but their opening night NHL roster if necessary.

It’s assumed that Schultz and his agents fielded offers on Monday, chatted about them on Tuesday, and will continue to go through them o on Wednesday:

“We’ve expressed we’re interested,” Wings general manager Ken Holland said. “His agents (Don Meehan and Pat Morris) will sit down with him today.”

Waddell also confirms from Holland that the Wings will make one last pitch to Jiri Hudler’s agent, Petr Svoboda, on Friday, but that the Wings are offering him much less than the $4-plus million salary he’s seeking (Waddell says the Wings’ offer is for about $3.2 million per season)...

Finally, this one comes from RedWingsFeed: The Newark Star-Ledger’s Rich Chere spoke to New Jersey Devils captain Zach Parise about his future, and while Parise seems set to test the unrestricted free agent waters, he’s not ruling out a return to New Jersey:

Parise said today that his agents, Wade Arnott and Don Meehan, have been talking to Devils general manager Lou Lamoriello the last few days. However, he acknowledged it is very possible there will be no deal before Sunday’s noon (ET) deadline for the start of free agency.

“If that does happen, my agents have done a really good job of doing the best they can to prepare me for it. But first and foremost, we want to try to get things worked out with New Jersey,” the 27-year-old left winger told The Star-Ledger.

Parise said even if he becomes unrestricted, it does not mean he has ruled out staying with the Devils.

“Not at all. I’m sure a lot of people will think that, but that’s very far from the case,” he said. “If it does happen to get to Sunday, that’s by no means saying I don’t want to go back to New Jersey. I know the perception would be, ‘Oh, he wants out.’ But that’s not the case. I haven’t been lying. I’ve said all along how much I like playing in New Jersey. So that wouldn’t be me saying, ‘I don’t want to play there anymore.’ ”
Even before he led the Devils to the Stanley Cup finals against the Los Angeles Kings, losing in six games, Parise was viewed as the premier potential free agent this year. The Detroit Red Wings are believed to be poised to make the biggest offer, with the Pittsburgh Penguins and Minnesota Wild also in the mix.
This past season Parise earned $6 million, the same as teammate Ilya Kovalchuk. But it would not be surprising to see teams offer multiple-year deals that average $9 million or $10 million per season. In 82 games this season Parise scored 69 points (31 goals, 38 assists) with three game-winning goals. In the playoffs he had 15 points (eight goals, seven assists) in 24 games, ranking sixth behind Anze Kopitar, Dustin Brown, Kovalchuk, Claude Giroux and Drew Doughty. The odds seem to point to Parise becoming unrestricted on Sunday.

“I can’t comment on that,” he said. “But if it does get to July 1st it’s going to be a bit overwhelming.”

Update: via RedWingsFeed again, here’s Chelios speaking to MLive’s Ansar Khan about his future, and Schultz:

Chelios, 50, relishes his flexible schedule as the Red Wings’ advisor to hockey operations, a position that enables him to watch sons Dean and Jake play at Michigan State. He said he’s not ready to handle the day-to-day responsibilities of being an NHL assistant coach.

“I hope to find a position like that in my future, but right now I’m content with having that freedom of going to see my sons play,’’ Chelios said. “I think I’m two years away from actually taking a full-time job again.’‘

Chelios retired in 2010, after parts of 25 NHL seasons, including 10 with the Red Wings. In his current position, Chelios works with the front office and coaching staff, providing insight on a wide range of issues and helping to mentor and develop young players with the Grand Rapids Griffins.

“I was with them for the whole year last year,’’ Chelios said. “I’d go down 2-3 times a week, go on the ice and work with the young (defensemen), working with (the coaches), sometimes I’d be in the press box helping out with special teams.’‘

Here’s his take on Schultz:

Chelios said he saw prime free-agent defenseman Justin Schultz of Wisconsin play against Michigan State twice, and he was impressed with his size and skills.

“You never know until they do it, but with his size, strength and skating ability, if he’s not ready, he’s really close,’’ Chelios said. “Physically, there’s no question he’s ready.’‘

Filed in: | The Malik Report | Permalink

Do you consider Blashill’s move to the Griffins a demotion? We’ve seen some big next steps in recent years from those who succeed in the AHL coaching ranks, no?

Posted by @ryaningr from Grand Rapids on 06/27/12 at 12:57 AM ET

How about instead of making one last pitch you say “good luck Happy, and if on July 3rd you haven’t gotten an offer you’re happy with and we haven’t signed anyone we’re happy with, we can reconvene and see if we can work something out?”?

Posted by Garth on 06/27/12 at 12:59 AM ET

Primis's avatar

Wasn’t Rafalski a former Badger as well?

Posted by Primis on 06/27/12 at 12:59 AM ET

Primis's avatar

Posted by Garth on 06/26/12 at 10:59 PM ET

Because that’s not the Wing Way?  You’ve got two blue-chip UFA’s and an unsigned prospect you’re trying to convince to come sign ink to paper in DET.  Last thing you want is some sort of ugliness with a probably-departing-UFA.

Posted by Primis on 06/27/12 at 01:01 AM ET

Ugliness?  What’s the ugliness of parting ways amicably?  What’s the ugliness of letting a guy who is clearly looking for a (ANOTHER) big payday go and leaving the door open for him to come back if things don’t work out for both parties?

So the “Wing Way” is to not split amicably, but to instead beg a guy who clearly wants a payday to stick around and re-sign while simultaneously undercutting what he thinks he’s worth?  And doing all this while also acknowledging publicly that the team as it was the past couple years wasn’t working and that you’re looking for at least a partial facelift?

This is “the Wing Way” to you?

Posted by Garth on 06/27/12 at 01:33 AM ET

NIVO's avatar

This is a “gesture of goodwill” that doesnt really mean anything. Happens all the time in the business world. Its a show of “we thank you for your services” because they wont go above the 3.2 mentioned. No worries and he’ll soon be somewhere else.

Posted by NIVO from underpants gnome village on 06/27/12 at 02:55 AM ET

DrewBehr's avatar

I don’t see how letting a guy simply “test the waters” without offering him a contract would be considered to be ugliness.

If the Wings didn’t really want to keep Hudler, they wouldn’t have made him any sort of offer. I’m really, extremely confused why they would offer him a deal, period. If we’re trying to land Parise to basically take his roster spot, why would we risk it?

*crossing fingers hoping Hudler goes away*

Posted by DrewBehr from The Mitten on 06/27/12 at 02:56 AM ET

George Malik's avatar

It’s due diligence. The Wings know he’s gone anyway, so KH wouldn’t be doing his job if he didn’t at least attempt to retain him, even though it’s going nowhere.

Posted by George Malik from South Lyon, MI on 06/27/12 at 03:01 AM ET

perfection's avatar

yeah, and cap management is all about value. the Wings would most definitely take Hudler, Semin, Jagr or any of the other questionable free agents if they were playing for cheap enough.

but obviously in a perfect world, Huds is gone and Parise arrives. But who knows. My sense is they’ll be pushing a lot harder for Suter for obvious reasons, so if anyone falls through the cracks to someone else it could be Parise.

Posted by perfection from LaLaLand on 06/27/12 at 04:00 AM ET

HockeytownOverhaul's avatar

Huds, slotted right, would be a good forward to keep.  He’s a third liner with a scoring touch who can swing into top 6 if ther are injuries.  I wouldn’t pay more than what he’s being offered for that role.  I wouldn’t be surprised to see him land with the Ducks or Columbus.. maybe the Blues.. he’d be most effective on a team with some size where all the other forwards suck and defense too or are very good at it.

I’m honestly hoping for Semin, cheaper, allow some cap room for trades to take on some salary, a known quantity as far as playing with Pav, a righty and a pure sniper who’s just hitting his prime.  His playoff numbers dip compared to regular season but Id risk it.  That Brunner kid is in the same boat as well but is more competative looks like though smaller.  I’ll take those two over Parise and upgrade the bottom 6 with a package deal with a few roster players in exchange for one good upgraded position from a team looking to dump some salary.

I’d rather do that, than get Hudler back as a third liner for the sake of “the right pieces” but Huds would be a stellar third line winger aside from his lack of physicality and you wouldn’t want to grind him agains the other teams top line

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 06/27/12 at 04:12 AM ET

HockeytownOverhaul's avatar

forwards suck or are great a defense*

must have had a stroke writing that.

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 06/27/12 at 04:13 AM ET

Norskirama's avatar

Yes Primis—Rafalski was a Badger.

Posted by Norskirama from Lincoln, Nebraska on 06/27/12 at 09:10 AM ET

MsRedWinger's avatar

Sorry to read that Cheli is not interested in the Assistant Coach job.  I was hoping he might be.

Posted by MsRedWinger from the State where Tigers roam in the Spring on 06/27/12 at 10:11 AM ET

Rafalski doesn’t get enough credit.  (Ultimate Team Player)

Yes, he was a Uw-Madison Badger.

My 2 cents:  Mike Eaves (father of DRW winger Patrick) has been the head coach of the Badgers since 2002.

Rafalski= UW-Madison Alumni
Cheli = UW-Madison Alumni
Gary Suter = UW-Madison Alumni
Ryan Suter = UW-Madison Alumni

Brendan Smith = UW-Madison Alumni and former defensive partner of Justin Schultz

it seems as if the Badgers have become the new “go to” place for the Wings to recruit from.  The Wings were ahead of the league in the early 90s when they selected the Russian Five….they were ahead of the league when they selected a BOATload of Swedes…and now it seems as if Wisconsin is in the same boat.

I’m also hearing rumors that the Pens are in financial difficulty and needed to drop payroll by 10M/season.  The Parise/Suter connection to the Pens is a red herring.

Posted by bobafett from Las Vegas on 06/27/12 at 12:28 PM ET

awould's avatar

Pens are in financial difficulty and needed to drop payroll by 10M/season.

i just got goosebumps. i don’t see how it’s possible though.

Posted by awould on 06/27/12 at 12:46 PM ET