The Malik Report

Quincey Files For Salary Arbitration

Updated 2x at 10:20 PM: Paul here for George who is preparing for Traverse City..

from Ansar Khan of Mlive,

By filing for salary arbitration on Thursday, defenseman Kyle Quincey expedited the process toward getting a new contract with the Detroit Red Wings.

The sides haven’t had much time to talk, with so much else going on for the club. But, now they will.

“Today was something that needed to happen to put pressure on both of us to negotiate a deal in a timely fashion,’’ Red Wings general manager Ken Holland said. “It’s just part of the process.

“I made an offer. They never really gave me a (counter) offer. We had one sit down meeting before the draft. It puts a deadline on both sides.’‘

If the sides can’t agree on a deal, an arbiter will decide what Quincey will earn. He made $3.125 million this past season.

continued

Update from George: The Free Press’s Helene St. James confirms…

Detroit Red Wings defenseman and restricted free agent Kyle Quincey filed for salary arbitration by Thursday’s deadline.

Quincey and the Wings can continue to negotiate, but there’s a good reason Quincey filed for arbitration: If it comes to that, an arbitrator is locked into awarding a one-year deal, because at 26, Quincey is one year from unrestricted free agency.

This isn’t a bad situation for the Wings, since Quincey struggled after being acquired at the trade deadline and could benefit from the motivation of increasing his market value via a bounce-back season.

As does the Macomb Daily’s Chuck Pleiness...

Wings defenseman Kyle Quincey filed for salary arbitration by Thursday’s 5 p.m. deadline.

Detroit’s other restricted free agent, forward Justin Abdelkader did not.

Quincey made $3.25 million last season.

Times two:

Defenseman Kyle Quincey filed for salary arbitration by Thursday’s 5 p.m. deadline, but the Wings’ other restricted free agent, forward Justin Abdelkader, did not. The two sides haven’t talked since before the draft.

“We never got numbers from them,” Wings general manager Ken Holland said. “This had to happen. It puts pressure on both of us to get a deal done in a timely fashion. It’s all just part of the process.”

If no agreement can be reached they’ll face an arbiter to determine what Quincey will earn. Quincey made $3.25 million last season.

“We made an offer and they never really gave me a counter,” Holland said.

Detroit was hoping to give him a modest raise. As for Abdelkader, the Wings would like to sign him to a four-year deal at just under $2 million a season. But since he didn’t file it leaves no timeline for getting a deal done.

“We’ve got the summer to find a deal that makes sense for both of us,” Holland said.

Detroit has 22 players signed for $53.3 million, with a salary cap of $70.2 million. The signed players include forward Gustav Nyquist and defenseman Brendan Smith, both on two-way deals. That leaves Detroit about $12 million under the salary cap with 24 players, one over the roster limit.

DetroitRedWings.com’s Bill Roose also confirms:

Defenseman Kyle Quincey beat the deadline to file salary arbitration against the Red Wings on Thursday. Quincey, 26, was one of 16 players who filed for salary arbitration before Thursday’s 5 p.m. ET deadline, and the lone Red Wing to do so. By filing for arbitration, the other 29 NHL clubs cannot give Quincey an offer sheet.

Both the Wings and Quincey will submit a salary figure, and an arbitrator will decide on either number or somewhere between. The NHL will hold arbitration hearings from July 20 to August 4 in Toronto. However, Thursday’s filing doesn’t preclude the Wings and Quincey from still reaching a deal on their own before a hearing date.

Quincey recorded career-high totals in goals (7), power-play goals (4), and penalty minutes (89), while splitting time last season between Colorado and Detroit. In 257 career games, he has produced 18 goals with 77 assists.

The Wings exposed the Kitchner, Ontario, native on waivers before the start of the 2008-09 season where he was claimed by the Los Angeles Kings. The Wings drafted Quincey in the fourth-round of the 2003 draft.

This is the second time that Wings general manager Ken Holland has had an arbitration hearing in his time with the organization. Three years ago, an arbitrator granted Jiri Hudler a two-year contract worth $5.75 million. Previously, the last Wings’ player to have an arbitration hearing was forward Ray Sheppard, in 1995.

Detroit currently has five defensemen – Niklas Kronwall, Jonathan Ericsson, Ian White, Jakub Kindl and Brendan Smith – under contract for the upcoming 2012-13 season.

Quincey made $3.25 million last season.

Update #2: The Detroit News’s Ted Kulfan reacts as only Kulfan does:

Filed in: | The Malik Report | Permalink

Comments

bezukov's avatar

So help me out cap gurus.  Should I be making a Kyle Quincey voodoo doll right now?

Posted by bezukov from the kids are alright. on 07/05/12 at 10:24 PM ET

Dakkster's avatar

Git ‘er duun, Kenny!

Posted by Dakkster from Southern Sweden on 07/05/12 at 10:24 PM ET

Depends.  Getting an arbitration award the team decides to walk away from is the quickest path to Quincey out of town, if that’s your preference.

Mostly though, it’s just SOP in these kinds of deals.  Q probably thinks he’s a 20+ minute Dman in the NHL and wants to be paid accordingly (4ish mil a year), while Holland thinks he’s more like a 16-18 minute a night #5 or #6 dman and should only make 2-2.5 mil.

I mostly agree with Kenny.

Theoretically, if Q dicks around too much here Kenny might just decide to cut his losses and trade his rights somewhere else, although given what he paid to get him I don;t think that’s terribly likely.

Posted by HockeyinHD on 07/05/12 at 10:41 PM ET

detroitredwings's avatar

Sign him up and include into trade package for Yandle or JayB or Doan or Nash

Posted by detroitredwings on 07/05/12 at 10:45 PM ET

Cal's avatar

If he gets awarded $4 million why not walk away?  Clears more cap room.  Of course, cap room for whom/what?

Posted by Cal on 07/05/12 at 10:46 PM ET

They probably offered him 3.5m per year or so. Qualifying offers have to be 100%, so it wouldn’t surprise me if they offered him a slight raise. This is a smart move by Quincey if the arbiter takes into account the current market for a 25-30 point defenseman he could get a bigger raise.

Posted by Zach Alexander on 07/05/12 at 10:50 PM ET

If he gets awarded $4 million why not walk away?

Because you’ve given up a first rounder for 25 games and you still have to sign another defenseman.

My favourite thing about the anti-Quincey people is that they think Holland doesn’t want to re-sign Quincey.  He traded a first for Quincey, he’s going to re-sign the guy.  He’s not going to walk away from the award if they don’t ink a deal in the meantime.

Posted by Garth on 07/05/12 at 10:52 PM ET

shanetx's avatar

These arbitration filings have been seen as a good thing in the past (the year Hudler bolted someone else did it, I forget who) as it removes the player from free agency where someone might take a run at them to mess up the wings.  Remember, they can and frequently try to come to an agreement on a deal before the hearing.

Posted by shanetx from Floydada, Texas on 07/05/12 at 11:02 PM ET

Oh, I think Holland wants to re-sign Quincey.  I think he wanted to sign Suter and Parise.  And Hudler.

So, what Holland might want to do isn’t an indication that he will throw all caution to the wind and wildly overspend in an attempt to do so.

Such it is with Quincey.  Holland likely has a number he’s comfortable having him at, and if either Q or the arbitrator come in uncomfortably over that number he’ll make some changes.

That aside, people say ‘first rounder’ with regards to a Detroit pick like it’s actually a super-noteworthy asset.  Given where Detroit almost always drafts, it’s not.  It’s usually 4 or 5 picks north of a second rounder and in a portion of the draft where guys are barely 1 in 4 or 5 to be legit NHLers.  Yeah, it’s sub-optimal to just throw the pick int he trash… but I’d rather dump a pick than I would want to overpay a guy by more than a mil a year for 3+ years.  IMO cap space is a more beneficial asset than a late 20’s selection in an entry draft.

Posted by HockeyinHD on 07/05/12 at 11:03 PM ET

Cal's avatar

I don’t get the “because he gave up a first-rounder” as a reason to keep him.  If you like the guy, that’s a reason.  If it’s because there is no better option in the UFA market, that’s a reason.

“Because it would be an admission I wasted a perfectly good meal” is not a viable reason not to clean up your puke.

Posted by Cal on 07/05/12 at 11:17 PM ET

awould's avatar

I don’t think Holland gave up a 1st rounder for Quincey in the hopes that he’d be the missing piece to a Stanley Cup in 2012. I think he sees a long-term value with Quincey and I doubt that either Babcock or Holland feel like it was a mistake. I think Quincey will get signed and will be in a Red Wings uniform for at least 3 more seasons. And I think his list of naysayers will diminish each season.

The guy played 25ish games in a Red Wings uniform, and a couple seasons on shitty teams. Give him a chance.

Posted by awould on 07/05/12 at 11:59 PM ET

jimathor's avatar

Meh. That’s a “remember me” from Q and his Agent. Not such a classy move if you ask me, I’m totally into the sign him and trade him option, didn’t see much upside in the 25 games he played, if we can swap him for something more useful, go right ahead.

Posted by jimathor from The land of Sir Humblepatch of Bumblehound on 07/06/12 at 12:01 AM ET

He’s not going to let that first rounder go for nothing.  The only way he doesn’t keep Quincey is if Quincey bribes the abritrator to give him a $5M+ deal.

It would be a one-year deal and Detroit currently doesn’t have a full roster of defensemen.  Not re-signing Quincey would mean that they would have to overpay for another defenseman.

Well I guess if I have to spell it out, you don’t give up a first rounder for a guy you don’t like, and you don’t let a guy walk after having him for less than a quarter of a season when you’ve given up a first rounder to get him.

Did he blow everyone’s skirt up?  No, but he traveled from Colorado to Detroit with a duffel bag of clothes and was inserted into the lineup of a new team instantly.

Unless he did something egregious that we don’t know about, anyone who expects that Ken Holland won’t give him a chance to show what he can do when he hasn’t been dropped onto a new team in the last quarter of the season doesn’t know what they’re talking about.

An arbitrator’s decision would be a one-year deal, so that is moot.

If you pay to see a movie do you walk out of on it if it’s not the best movie you’ve ever seen in your life by the time the opening credits have finished?

Why pay for the movie if you’re not even going to give it a chance?

Posted by Garth on 07/06/12 at 12:03 AM ET

Not such a classy move if you ask me

Why not?  It’s his right.

Posted by Garth on 07/06/12 at 12:04 AM ET

tuxedoTshirt's avatar

And I thought the whole point was getting back that promising prospect that got away before.

Posted by tuxedoTshirt from the Home of the 1937 World Champions on 07/06/12 at 12:05 AM ET

George Malik's avatar

This is very simple—Quincey wants to get a deal done, and his agents didn’t like the early numbers, so they’ll talk to the Wings and hammer out a contract ASAP.

Remember, as Bill Roose points out up there, Jiri Hudler was the first player to actually go through an arbitration hearing since Ray Sheppard did so in 1994, and the Wings’ front office absolutely hates having to go through a hearing where they’re tearing down their own player and damaging their relationship with an asset, so it is highly, highly, highly likely that this will simply kick-start the negotiating process.

His salary won’t be pretty—he might get $3.5-3.75 million—but the Wings kinda knew that going in.

Posted by George Malik from South Lyon, MI on 07/06/12 at 12:10 AM ET

I love Internet GMs. They think it’s NHL 12 on PS3

Posted by T on 07/06/12 at 12:15 AM ET

I love Internet GMs. They think it’s NHL 12 on PS3

Posted by T on 07/05/12 at 11:15 PM ET

Then quit reading and go play some Final Fantasy XIVIVKKDOWLOLLOL!!L!O.

Posted by SYF from Alana Blanchard's Bikinis and Surfboards on 07/06/12 at 12:23 AM ET

Nothing against the guy I just don’t see him as what is needed. Didn’t before and don’t now. Then again KH didn’t ask me so I’ll just Internet GM till the cows come home. Sign for 3.7, trade by Feb need be. I would automatically include him as part of any trade for well….anyone

Posted by Wbclimb from Az on 07/06/12 at 12:54 AM ET

Oh and George is right to mention the hurdler, Shepard arbitrations. Thanks for reminded me George. The wings have had this happen before and someone just wants to get it kick started with a little more. I dooubt q is looking for the big bank just because of praise and his girl suter.

Posted by Wbclimb from Az on 07/06/12 at 12:59 AM ET

Cal's avatar

His salary won’t be pretty—he might get $3.5-3.75 million

Posted by George Malik from South Lyon, MI on 07/05/12 at 11:10 PM ET

And not a penny more!  And he needs to get a haircut!

(That was my “Internet Ned Harkness” impersonation)

Posted by Cal on 07/06/12 at 01:05 AM ET

HockeytownOverhaul's avatar

An arbitrator’s decision would be a one-year deal, so that is moot.

Wasn’t Huds awarded a 2 year deal?  What’s the distinction on how they determine term?

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 07/06/12 at 01:20 AM ET

perfection's avatar

Holland absolutely did NOT sign Quincey simply as a rental for the playoffs. He signed him knowing he was a restricted FA which is why he cost a 1st in the first place. Him as a rental would be much cheaper. I think Quincey was essentially the insurance policy for EXACTLY what has transpired. Stuie gone, Lids gone, Suter doesn’t sign, rest of the guys sign elsewhere or aren’t worth their asking price and he’s trying to make trades but the price is CLEARLY too high or somebody else would have obviously made the trade already (ie. Yandle… who was “available” at the draft with NO takers).

So, at least for now, we’re basically stuck with what we have and Quincey ensures we AT LEAST have a former Wing, with top4 and pp experience. And I should mention that I think Quincey is a huge ripoff and is kind of everrated and seems like a tool on top of it.

But it was nonetheless a pretty shrewd move by Holland, ESPECIALLY because he needed to trick Colorado into trading him to the Wings by going through Stevie. Holland had no control over either of the retirements or Suter’s decision to whom I can only assume the Wings put their best foot forward. He has had some control over who he has chosen NOT to sign, and based on what they are costing, he’s playing it smart. As shitty as it sounds, at least he’s got Quincey…

(‘till the summer of WEBER of course!!!!)

Posted by perfection from LaLaLand on 07/06/12 at 01:20 AM ET

John's avatar

Agree 100% with this post.  Quincey has a lot of upside, and I think the chances of him developing into a top 4 guy on the Wings are pretty good.  So I don’t mind the arbitration.  Holland will work to get a deal done before they go to arbitration and it’ll be settled.  He might get paid a little more than we would like, but if it pans out it’ll look like another brilliant move by Holland and if it doesn’t, then he blew an extra million in cap space on a team that has cap space to spare.

I’m not totally sold on Quincey right now, and if he went elsewhere I wouldn’t be upset.  But I think he can play solid for the Wings and he’ll have a year to prove that he can do that.  If doesn’t work out, then he’s trade bait at the deadline.

Posted by John from Pittsburgh, PA (Wings fan for life!) on 07/06/12 at 01:25 AM ET

George Malik's avatar

Arbitration deals can be 1 year or 2 years long, depending on the whims of the arbitrator and both parties’ desires…

And Quincey is a reclamation project. The Wings brought him in hoping that he may regain the kind of form he displayed in Los Angeles in terms of offense while providing a suitable replacement for Brad Stuart—eventually. He’s only 26 going on 27 this August, and the Wings hope that by the time he’s 28 or 29, he’ll relearn the Wings’ system and develop into a similar player to Stuart, perhaps with a little more offensive ability.

They just don’t expect that to happen overnight.

Posted by George Malik from South Lyon, MI on 07/06/12 at 01:32 AM ET

perfection's avatar

They just don’t expect that to happen overnight.

it’s easy to say that now… but then we hear Babs say “what have you done for me lately” probably 20 times throughout the season. If he starts healthy scratching a $4mil Quincey because Kindl is playing off his ass (which is not entirely impossible), he will most likely NOT be about waiting 2 or 3 years. That’s rarely how this league works.

Posted by perfection from LaLaLand on 07/06/12 at 01:51 AM ET

statelouis26's avatar

I agree with most that Quincey was expected to be here for a while. I think hockeyinhd made the best points on this issue. I dont like Quincey and I didn’t like the move but there’s nothing that can take it back. At this point the wings can’t do without quincey. If that means overpaying on a 1 yr deal so be it. As far as long-term however Quincey has not proven and IMO is not worth more than 4M. If holland pays
More than that he’s losin it. If Quincey won’t sign for less take the 1 yr deal to get a contingency plan in place for the following year. If Quincey signed for 3.5 that would work. We paid E 3.25 for god’s sake. Ugh.

Posted by statelouis26 from Detroit, MI on 07/06/12 at 02:13 AM ET

statelouis26's avatar

Oh, and Quincey resembles nothing of Stuart and probably won’t turn out to be like him either. Stuart wasn’t the second coming of bobby Orr but he was a great skater and physical presence. Quincey is more offensively gifted (Stuart was banned from making the first pass cuz it would get turned over all time, look back at the games over he years and you’ll see stu have his partner make the outlet pass more and more) but is an average skater at best. I think the best you’ll see from Quincey is pp time and 2nd pairing ability. That’s tops and that being said he may really be nothing more than a solid no.5 dman.

Posted by statelouis26 from Detroit, MI on 07/06/12 at 02:23 AM ET

HockeytownOverhaul's avatar

Thanks Geo

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 07/06/12 at 03:11 AM ET

I didn’t say he’d let Q go for nothing, obviously.  He’d trade his rights for a 3rd or a 4th.

And while there are probably a pretty limited range of things that would cause Holland to let Q go immediately, there’s a much wider range of outcomes that would cause Holland to effectively erase Q from any long-term plans (ie, past this arbitrator decision).

An arbitrator’s decision would be a one-year deal, so that is moot.

A) An arbitrator’s decision can also be for two years (a la Hudler) at either player or teams request, IIRC.

B) An arbitrator’s decision is also something of a basis for a longer-term deal, so it’s not a moot point at all.

Posted by HockeyinHD on 07/06/12 at 06:50 AM ET

if i was an arbiter i would give him an old sock. screw him. he’s awful. i would rather sign ANY free agent defenseman. locker room cancer freak, glad we gave up a first rounder for him.

Posted by callmedrw from detroit on 07/06/12 at 07:09 AM ET

I got it from the St James piece in one of the updates above:

I have no idea if St James is right or not, of ir George is right about it being 1 or 2, but even at two they’re not going to walk away from it.

Why would anyone trade for his rights if there’s any inkling at all that Holland might walk away from an arbitration award?

And if Quincey is so godawful that it’s worth throwing away a first rounder just to not bring him back, why would anyone else want him?

I’m just going by the update from above, and again, Holland isn’t going to walk away from a two-year deal unless it’s outlandish, and I don’t know which signing happened this season that is going to make an abritrator give Quincey Matt Carle or Ryan Suter numbers…

That, um, doesn’t mean anything.  It’s not the basis of anything, it’s a simple ruling.

Posted by Garth on 07/06/12 at 08:47 AM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

The Red Wings get to pick the length of the term, in general, since Quincey is the one who filed for arbitration.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 07/06/12 at 09:35 AM ET