The Malik Report

Mid-day Wings quickie: Lidstrom on Jim Rome at 1-ish—no decision made

Updated 4x at 2:30 PM with more of Lidstrom’s comments: Per the Red Wings’ Twitter account:

Nick Lidstrom will join ‘The Jungle’ with Jim Rome at 1:00 P.M. (40 minutes) You can listen to the interview here: http://bit.ly/lsNaHf

That link goes to Jim Rome’s website and a pay-to-listen media player, but WDFN AM 1130 simulcasts the Jim Rome show, and you can listen to it via their Flash player. I doubt that Nick will say anything about his future, but it’s worth a listen.

Update: Nick’s asked if he’s decided yet and he says no, he’s spoken to Ken Holland and that he could wait till July 1st to make up his mind, and he’s going to take his time and consider what he wants to do, he’s still healthy but he’s got to figure out whether he’s committed to off-season training and for him it’s about finding the motivation to take part in off-season training and prepare for another year. It’s a little bit harder as you get older because you have to train harder to stay at the level you want to be at and he has to train harder to be at the level he wants to be at.

Update #2: MLive’s Phillips Zaroo, a Friend of TMR and my mentor at MLive, posted a Video of Draper working out with the Detroit Lions and then addressing his future;

• The Hockey News’s Ryan Dixon reports that pint-sized U.S. National Team Development Forward Rocco Grimaldi is a big Wings fan;

• And I’ve been checking the international press to no avail, save this: Expessen’s Victor Melander and Henrik Sjoberg claim that Dick Axelsson signed with Modo Ornskoldsvik because he was promised a spot on the team’s first power play unit, not more money than he could have earned elsewhere (of course it was the money), and are you raising an eyebrow about the news that the Rangers may buy out Wojtek Wolski?

Update #3: Per the Detroit Free Press’s George Sipple:

Detroit Red Wings captain Nicklas Lidstrom appeared on Jim Rome’s radio show this afternoon and said he’s still deciding whether to retire. Lidstrom said general manager Ken Holland told him he could wait until July 1—the start of free agency—to make up his mind.

The 41-year-old sounded like he he wasn’t going to make the decision any time soon.

“I’m going to take my time and really consider what I’m going to do,” Lidstrom said. “I’m still healthy but, to me, it’s more motivation.”

If he decides to return, it would necessitate a summer of off-season conditioning to prepare for another long season.

“For me, it’s just finding that motivation to go through that off-season training and get ready for another year,” Lidstrom said.

Update #4: Via RedWingsFeed, here’s the Detroit News’s Ted Kulfan’s take:

“I’m going to take my time and really consider what I want to do,” said Lidstrom, 41, a finalist for the Norris Trophy (best defenseman), Lady Byng Trophy (sportsmanship) and Mark Messier Leadership Award.

Wings general manager Ken Holland told Lidstrom he needs a decision by July 1, which marks the start of unrestricted free agency. Motivation is a key issue for Lidstrom.

“It’s more motivation, committing to the offseason training,” Lidstrom said. “It’s very hard to get ready for a long year, and then you have the long season in itself.”

Lidstrom said as athletes get older, dedication to an offseason training program becomes more difficult.

“It is a little bit harder as you get older,” Lidstrom said. “You have to train even harder to stay at that level where you want to be. For myself, I have to train even harder to reach where I want to be able play at.”

Filed in: | The Malik Report | Permalink

Comments

SnLO's avatar

Nick Lidstrom will join ‘The Jungle’ with Jim Rome

How did he get screwed into that?

Posted by SnLO from beyond the M-1 on 06/09/11 at 02:49 PM ET

George Malik's avatar

Every year at this time Ozzie or Nick end up on Jim Rome. He’s been good to the Wings in terms of appearances during the Wings’ deep playoff runs, so the team returns the favor.

Posted by George Malik from South Lyon, MI on 06/09/11 at 02:55 PM ET

Jordan_NOHS's avatar

Wolski would be very intriguing… if he becomes available I’d like to see the wings make a pitch for him. Laich is my other hopeful. From what I hear, he has an amazing work ethic and drive.

Posted by Jordan_NOHS from Detroit, MI on 06/09/11 at 02:58 PM ET

CaptainDennisPolonich's avatar

So good to hear Nick.

C’mon Jim, get to the $64,000 question…

Posted by CaptainDennisPolonich from The Land of Fake Boobs and Real Nuts on 06/09/11 at 03:04 PM ET

CaptainDennisPolonich's avatar

No decision yet…

Three weeks left until the deadline. Nothing like waiting to the last minute.

Posted by CaptainDennisPolonich from The Land of Fake Boobs and Real Nuts on 06/09/11 at 03:08 PM ET

Jordan_NOHS's avatar

I bet he lets Kenny know before the draft. That way they know one way or another what there options are for draft-day deals. It also gives them a week to plan for July 1st

Posted by Jordan_NOHS from Detroit, MI on 06/09/11 at 03:10 PM ET

George Malik's avatar

Updated. No news yet. I think he wants to have his time and space—and I believe that he’s going to make his decision before the NHL Awards.

Posted by George Malik from South Lyon, MI on 06/09/11 at 03:12 PM ET

11B4PF7 in MN's avatar

Two schools of thought:
1) Now I am nervious since he still hasn’t decided yet.
2) Jungle karma will kick in for the Red Wings!  He is going to come back for one more year!

***If you do not follow the Jim Rome show then the second thought makes no sense.

Posted by 11B4PF7 in MN on 06/09/11 at 03:15 PM ET

George Malik's avatar

Nick tends to chafe at any requests to make a statement about his future before he is ready. Recall the Swedish School conundrum in 2000 or 2001…Until he decides, he puts up a wall. It’s not personal—that’s just how he is, very very private.

Posted by George Malik from South Lyon, MI on 06/09/11 at 03:25 PM ET

HockeytownOverhaul's avatar

Wolski would be interesting

Brooks Laich would be a PHENOMINAL pick-up.  Two-way player, hard worker, in great shape, hard on the puck.  He’d bring immediate results

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 06/09/11 at 03:47 PM ET

Michiru Kaioh's avatar

I wonder if the Wings might kick the tires on a trade for Iginla. He’s been rumored to be headed out of Calgary it seems like on a yearly basis, and given a chance to come play for a cup contender, I have to imagine it’d be hard for him to turn that down, if it could be worked out. He’d be a perfect fit…2 years left at a 7 mil cap hit, and he’d add the grit and goal scoring punch we lack up front all in one. There’d still be space left over to shore up the D too, especially if Hudler can be shipped out.

(Alternatively, you could hide him in the minors a la Cristobal Huet to dump his cap hit, and if someone takes him off waivers, would that really be such a loss?)

I sure hope Nick is coming back though…my gut is saying that the longer this goes on, the more likely he is to retire, unless we do something that says “look, we’re still going to win, now”...

Posted by Michiru Kaioh on 06/09/11 at 03:54 PM ET

awould's avatar

I’d take Laich in a heartbeat. He’d be great. Wolski would be interesting but a bit more of a risk, though I’d be optimistic because the Wings have a habit of bringing out the best in a player not named Hatcher.

If they go after Iginla, I might boycott the season. I do not like Iginla and have always thought he was overrated as a leader. He reminds me of Jordan before he started winning championships….a great player himself but one who does not know how to make his teammates better around him.

Posted by awould on 06/09/11 at 04:03 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

Iginla would be a hard worker, but expensive, and also have to dump another forward.  If Hudler that’s okay.

I still think Lids will be back.  Hoping.

Boy I offer nothing today.

Posted by RWBill from cruising Brush Street with creepy Rob Lowe. on 06/09/11 at 04:25 PM ET

HockeytownOverhaul's avatar

Where’s this Iggy talk coming from?  Did I miss an article somewheres?

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 06/09/11 at 05:10 PM ET

Chris in A^2's avatar

Iginla?  Might as well get Brad Richards and not lose the farm system that we need to take take the torch from the Euro Twins era.  The wings have more offensive firepower than anyone else in the game, they’ve shown that every time they destroy a team that decided to sit on a 3-0 lead.  What they need is a fix to the defensive and transition game so they don’t have to wait for the other team to back off before they start scoring..

Posted by Chris in A^2 from Nyquist Puck Control on 06/09/11 at 05:25 PM ET

George Malik's avatar

No Iginla, no Richards. Richards will end up in New York or Toronto making $7 or $8 million a year and as far as I understood it, the Flames’ interim GM, who is now their official GM, one Jay Feaster, said that the team does not plan on trading Iginla, and, recently, that the team plans on re-signing Alex Tanguay.

Laich might be the best free agent not named Richards in an incredibly thin crop of players up front, and I’m not sure the Wings would have the $ to go after Wolski if he wants $3.5 million-plus, but the Wings do at least have options now.

The one place where the market is deep is in goal, and for what it’s worth, the Montreal Canadiens plan on re-signing Markov, bringing Emelin in and cutting ties with Wisniewski, so at this point, he looks like the marquee guy that’s headed to market.

Posted by George Malik from South Lyon, MI on 06/09/11 at 05:53 PM ET

Beatrain's avatar

bringing out the best in a players not named Hatcher or Cujo.

Fixed.

Posted by Beatrain on 06/09/11 at 05:58 PM ET

11B4PF7 in MN's avatar

Didn’t Wolski go from Colorado to Phoenix to the Rangers and doesn’t he have some serious concussion issues?  Additionally, I am pretty sure he was scratched a few times for the Rangers down the stretch and in the playoffs for lack of effort.  He definitely has the size and talent, but I would have to admit I like Hudler more than Wolski.

Posted by 11B4PF7 in MN on 06/09/11 at 06:17 PM ET

awould's avatar

Posted by Beatrain on 06/09/11 at 03:58 PM ET
good point.

Laich is a 50+ pt guy and should get about $3.5MM I think; he puts up more than Filppula, who is $3.5MM. If Wolski is given a fresh contract, he’d command closer to $2.5MM for his 30-35 pts. He’s way overpaid now, no surprise they’re buying him out. He’s got a lot of potential though but at some point that potential just turns into wishful thinking (see Filppula).

My best case scenario:
Lidstrom stays.
Sign Laich for $3.25MM.
Sign Wisniewski for $4MM.
Hudler traded for a couple of draft picks.

Posted by awould on 06/09/11 at 06:21 PM ET

MsRedWinger's avatar

This is totally a gut feeling, but reading Nick’s comments today, here’s what I think:  If he’s concerned about his motivation, that suggests to me that he has been seriously leaning toward retiring. But with Rafalski gone,  Ericsson iffy, and all the assistant coaching changes, maybe now Nick is thinking maybe he should stick around for another year, but he just hasn’t yet been able to convince himself.  If he stays, I hope it is because he really wants to stay.

Posted by MsRedWinger from Flori-duh on 06/09/11 at 06:38 PM ET

HockeytownOverhaul's avatar

I dunno, Lidas spent all year saying how he doesn’t feel his age.  Now all of a sudden it’s hard to train, I’m not buying it.  The guy has a routine and has said it really doesn’t change in the off-season either.  Just like Cheli.  This worries me because now I feel like he’s thrown his cop-out out there in case he does go.

Last season it was his son leaving for Sweden.  Now this season it’s conditioning.. says the Norris Trophy candidate.

I’m seriously wondering, hearing Drapes talk about how tough it was to see Malts go down like he did, if Lids is going to see if they bring back Drapes and Ozzie and if not he may just go down with them.  I thought he might stay until Homer’s contract was up (his BFF) like MsRedwing was sayin’ but now I’m wondering what Lidstrom and Homer could’ve talked about when they went on vacation together.  I thought it was just pal’in around before but now maybe they had discussions about Lidas leaving the game and wanted to get a feel from Homer on what he thought about it.

Concerning to say the least, but he’s die-hard Wings and he’s gotta see that we don’t contend for the cup in the next couple years without him and Raffi unless we bring in other Elite talent and there really isn’t any that can measure up to those two.

On a side note, I’d hate to see Fil leave and I’d rather give up Huds but bringing in Laich would be better than either one of them.  He’s a wont be denied kinda guy, not a I’ll be a good little soldier type of guy

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 06/09/11 at 07:07 PM ET

George Malik's avatar

He doesn’t hide his doubts, which is very scary, but he’s mucked it up and continued to play, and I’m sure that he’s already working out. We’ll have to wait and see, which is hard.

Posted by George Malik from South Lyon, MI on 06/09/11 at 07:12 PM ET

Best Case Scenario:

Lidstrom back for 1 more year at 5M.

Trade Hudler, Emmerton and a third rounder to Philadelphia for Carter and Carle.

Sign a veteran D man with size and experience (Jovo? Montador?) (or Ericsson) for the third pairing for 2.5M or less for short term deal.

Worst Case Scenario:

Lidstrom retires.

Wings Sign Wisniewski and Babchuk for 3.75M - 4.25M each for 4-5 years.
Let the door hit Ericsson is the arse.  Bring up Brendan Smith.

Sign Tanguay for 2.5M for one year with a club option for 3M for year two.  (Can that be done under the current CBA?)

Sign Eaves, Let Miller walk.  Bring up Mursak.

Dump Hudler in the minors/Russia.

Sign Draper, Osgood and MacDonald for the Minimum, all should be two way deals.

Either way the Wings are disgustingly good again.

Posted by BobaFett on 06/09/11 at 07:15 PM ET

MOWingsfan19's avatar

I hate the thought of a Wings team without a #5 on it, but the man has earned the right to take his time and do what he feels is the right thing. He’s been a near perfect human for a very very long time, it’s got to be an impossibly difficult situation. He knows he’s not the player he was in his prime, but he’s still basically the best there is.
I am ok with letting him take his time and embracing what ever he decides.

Posted by MOWingsfan19 from I really like our team on 06/09/11 at 07:42 PM ET

HockeytownOverhaul's avatar

Boba, that’s preposterous.  Neither option makes ANY sense for any team involved.

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 06/09/11 at 08:09 PM ET

awould's avatar

Posted by BobaFett on 06/09/11 at 05:15 PM ET

I have no idea where you got any of that but it doesn’t make much sense to me.

Fantasyland.

Posted by awould on 06/09/11 at 08:25 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

but Holland needs to let go of his loyalty issues and make this team younger and tougher to play against.
Posted by mkow99 on 06/09/11 at 12:48 PM ET

It’s not Holland where you hear this talk, it’s the fans.  Holland is a straight up cold blooded OG who will sever ties when best for The Franchise.

Posted by RWBill from cruising Brush Street with creepy Rob Lowe. on 06/09/11 at 08:42 PM ET

HockeyTownTodd's avatar

Posted by George Malik

Traditionally the organization delays decisions like this as long as possible, unless they know for sure that the decision will have a positive impact on season ticket sales.  Lids is a company man and will follow their timetable.

I would like to see one more year of Lidstrom, but fear we just witnessed his one more year.

Retire Nik,
it is just too painful to watch a great player hang on too long.

At this age, the body just gives out with no warning on a long weekend.

Posted by HockeyTownTodd on 06/09/11 at 11:22 PM ET

At this age, the body just gives out with no warning on a long weekend.

I hope you’re joking but I fear you’re not, so:

Dude, he’s FORTY, not seventy, and he’s in incredible shape.

And he’s a Norris finalist…

Posted by Garth on 06/10/11 at 01:02 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

Laich has not horribly impressed me in Washington.  I mean, he’s put up points and that’s good, but he’s also done it avoiding third-line minutes.  Laich is not going to play on the top line and, while he crashes the net fairly well, I’d rather take a chance on Tomas Fleischmann.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 06/10/11 at 01:13 PM ET