The Malik Report

Justice for the Mule? Russian players may be disciplined for spearing, breaking Wings forward’s nose

Updated with a completely unrelated Valtteri Filppula Nike commercial for the hell of it: Red Wings forward Johan Franzen was speared by Alexei Emelin and then had his nose broken on a vicious cross-check to the face by Dmitri Kalinin (the Free Press’s Helene St. James reports that he’s going to be OK) in Sweden’s ugly 7-3 loss to Russia on Friday, but the IIHF’s website reports that, by the time Franzen probably returns to Sweden’s lineup for Tuesday’s game against Latvia,  the players who angered an then busted the Mule might have sat out a game or two as well:

On the heels of Russia’s 7-3 preliminary round win over Sweden, the IIHF Disciplinary Panel will be reviewing two incidents that occurred during what was a heated match between the two hockey powers.

The first incident involved a slash on Johan Franzen by Alexei Yemelin, which occurred when Sweden scored its second goal to go up 2-1 in the first period.

The second incident under review again involved Franzen, who received a cross-check to the face from Dmitri Kalinin in front of the Russian net in the third period. The Swedish forward left the game following the cross-check, while Kalinin received a match penalty. Franzen later went to the hospital after the game with what is suspected to be a broken nose.

Via Andrew Johnson on Twitter, here’s the Emelin spear…

And here’s Kalinin’s cross-check:

And in completely different news, from RedWingsFeed and eblink39 on Twitter, here’s Valtteri Filppula not being messed with in a Nike commercial made for Team Finland’s 2012 World Championship push:

Update #2: As a reminder, via the Detroit News’s Ted Kulfan:

“I just talked to him, (he has a) broken nose,” said Red Wings general manager Ken Holland, who is in Helsinki, Finland, watching the other bracket of the tournament. “He sounded OK otherwise.”

Sweden’s next game is Saturday against Italy. Franzen could sit out the next game, with Sweden off for the next two days after that. Holland and Swedish media covering the game were uncertain as to whether Franzen would play against Italy.

In the second period, Franzen received an interference minor and double-minor for roughing in what was a physical game throughout.

Fellow Red Wing Jonathan Ericsson, a Swedish teammate, has yet to play in the tournament because of lower back pain.

Erm, more like he left the first game of the tournament after getting cross-checked in his Sacroiliac joint.

Henrik Zetterberg (Sweden) had a goal and assist and Pavel Datsyuk (Russia) had an assist in the game, which was highlighted by three goals by Russia’s Evgeni Malkin (Pittsburgh Penguins).

Filed in: | The Malik Report | Permalink

Comments

RWBill's avatar

thethirdcoast :
I feel the exact same way! Euh, the bitterness part of course…
Posted by gowings from MTL on 05/11/12 at 06:24 PM ET

Someone say bitterness?

Posted by RWBill from the open bar on The Hasek. on 05/11/12 at 08:57 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

George thanks for the great details.  I actually haven’t triggered the Play buttons yet because I think I’ll just get irritated and mad.

Posted by RWBill from the open bar on The Hasek. on 05/11/12 at 08:58 PM ET

scotts0's avatar

Got a comment on all 3 videos on this post:

1. Franzen sold that spear like a soccer player.  Sorry, but it’s true.

2. That crosscheck to his face didn’t even look serious.  You think Franzen stores fake blood pouches in his mouth to bust open at opportune times?  Seriously though, it didn’t look bad but I guess it was pretty bad.  But man, Franzen is made of glass.

3.  Trying to make Filppula “hard” in that commercial is comical, because I can’t remember ever seeing him stick up for himself or a teammate.  Wearing a hoodie or winter hat doesn’t make someone “hard”.  Hmm, what else…oh yeah.  I’m not sure it’s that…respectful of them trying to glamorize the downfalls of Detroit for the sake of a commercial and making Filppula look “hard”.

That’s all.

Posted by scotts0 from New York on 05/11/12 at 09:08 PM ET

All three of these videos bum me out. I hope these assaults on Franzen don’t mess with his mind and make him afraid of going to the net.

Posted by LGRWeh on 05/11/12 at 09:10 PM ET

That was quite a follow through on that cross check, and the blood was coming out his nose.  Sure, not serious enough to break a jaw or an orbital bone or something, but plenty to break a nose.

Posted by jwad on 05/11/12 at 09:14 PM ET

Posted by scotts0 from New York on 05/11/12 at 07:08 PM ET

On point 3, I agree. What was up with him playing hockey with all white kids? Not trying to be racist, or reverse racist, or reverse-reverse racist… Just seemed kind of odd, like they show him walking through the ghetto and playing hockey with a bunch of white kids… wtf?

Posted by LGRWeh on 05/11/12 at 09:14 PM ET

Hootinani's avatar

Thanks for popping you’re head out troll.  You may now return under the bridge from whence you came.

Posted by Hootinani on 05/11/12 at 09:18 PM ET

A couple of people came off really badly in the Swe-Rus game. One was Franzén, for being goaded into taking stupid, costly penalties. An even worse impression was made by the refs of the game, who were awful.

But the one who came of worst of all was Yemelin. scotts0 mentions that “Franzen sold that spear like a soccer player” with which I disagree; Yemelin on the other hand had several absolutely jaw-dropping dives. What an absolute embarassment. Knew very little of him before but my respect for him dropped to zero and it’s likely it will stay that way. It’s not in Patrick Kane territory but it’s still of the magnitude that I wouldn’t want him on my team even if he won five straight Norris trophies. And enough for me to want Montreal to fail next year simply because he plays for them.

Yes I am Swedish why do you ask?

Posted by Mr. Fnytelhatt on 05/11/12 at 09:34 PM ET

Obviously this is a result of Datsyuk’s bounty program…

Posted by Steve from LA on 05/11/12 at 09:55 PM ET

Posted by Hootinani on 05/11/12 at 07:18 PM ET

You need to look up the definition of a troll.

I’ve been a Wings fan for over 15 years… I check this site everyday, multiple times. I’m just too damned lazy to register.

Everything I posted was my opinion, not an attempt to rile anyone. My life is sad, but not that sad.

Posted by LGRWeh on 05/11/12 at 09:59 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

Yikes.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 05/11/12 at 10:28 PM ET

whats wrong with everybody, obviously franzen comes up to emelin after the goal and provokes him, adding a push. in my mind, even a broken nose is a fair response to someone asking for it like that.

Posted by dre08 from germany on 05/11/12 at 10:42 PM ET

George Malik's avatar

Unbelievable. “Yay broken nose! He deserves it! He was asking for it! Traitor!”

What the hell? In addition to already writing the Wings off for the next five years, we’re now openly rooting for players who play for Detroit to get hurt?

This makes no sense to me. None at all.

Posted by George Malik from South Lyon, MI on 05/11/12 at 11:06 PM ET

George Malik's avatar

And the Filppula hockey game was probably timed to coincide with the Wings’ outdoor practice or something going on at Clark Park…and it looks like it was almost wholly filmed in the Foxtown area, so he wasn’t exactly in the worst parts of the city.

Posted by George Malik from South Lyon, MI on 05/11/12 at 11:07 PM ET

Posted by scotts0 from New York on 05/11/12 at 07:08 PM ET

Dude, watch the video again and pay special attention to the overhead shot. Kalinin’s stick flexes around Franzen’s face. I"d say it was legit.

Posted by Moocat on 05/11/12 at 11:09 PM ET

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 05/11/12 at 08:28 PM ET

Yikes indeed, I don’t want to get too far into the social thing, but it looked to me like they were filming run down parts of Detroit and then bringing in kids to play hockey there. That seemed weird to me.

Then again, I probably should’ve stopped at “not trying to be…” because nothing sounds right with that set up.

Posted by George Malik from South Lyon, MI on 05/11/12 at 09:07 PM ET

Thanks for clearing that up George.

Posted by LGRWeh on 05/11/12 at 11:17 PM ET

VooX's avatar

Lip Reading of Datsyuk (during a closeup just after Franzen is shown bleeding on the ice):

Pavel calls out, “Johan, are you okay?”

Pure class, Pasha, too bad we can’t say the same about some of your teammates.

Posted by VooX from Behind the Bar in the Hasek Club Car on 05/12/12 at 01:10 AM ET

You cannot go on playing fairly, when you see unfair play of opponents and unfair judgement. Judges punished Russians for any possible trifle, but did not see any violations of rules (at least two) in the first period. So Russians accepted Swedish rules, might they not? Yemelin did his job well. He provided PP to his team, like Frenzen did earlier (not quite fairly) to his team. For his attacks on Malkin Frenzen got what he deserved. That’s why the best tactics against against Russians - play skillfully and honestly. Don’t wake sleeping bear. The Sweeds did that and paid for it.

Posted by Sergey from Nizhny Novgorod on 05/12/12 at 05:49 AM ET

Russians dived, simulated and played dirty. Disgusting. Sweden had the game until yemelin played dirty and tried to win an Oscar award for best acting.

Posted by Apan from Swe on 05/12/12 at 10:36 AM ET

Russians won, because they can score goals, though I don’t deny, ballet has always been one more of our aces. Sweds scored only in PP, like a youth team against masters, and could do nothing in equals. Besides their goaly was Slowth, as the score shows.

Posted by Sergey from Nizhny Novgorod on 05/12/12 at 11:25 AM ET

Are these videos before or after Franzen inexplicably had a temper tantrum about Malkin, uh, shooting a puck on net during play and jumped him? And is his broken nose from this cross-check or from Malkin laughing in his face and feeding him an uppercut?

The way you’ve presented this material is as if the evil Russians were persecuting poor Johan Franzen, but my understanding is Franzen took it upon himself to try to be a bully at the puck drop and the Russians outed him as a fraud.

-tough, scary badass
-hangnail makes me die

Pick one or the other, Johan, not both.

Posted by larry from pitt on 05/12/12 at 05:45 PM ET

George Malik's avatar

Uh, did you read the previous post, wherein I stated that Franzen stupidly went after Malkin and that he jabbed Emelin?

He’s no saint. He was engaging in physical play and he was instigating, and it got the better of him composure-wise, but a hack or a jab here do not make spearing someone in the gut or cross-checking someone in the nose “okay.”

Posted by George Malik from South Lyon, MI on 05/12/12 at 09:12 PM ET