The Malik Report

I’m calling this one Bring Mike Knuble home, Kenny: TSN’s Ward says Wings won’t bid for Shane Doan

What the title says, given what TSN’s Aaron Ward is reporting regarding the Red Wings and the Shane Doan sweepstakes:

Clearly, I can’t go on vacation. I made preparations today and the Wings chose not to bid on Alex Semin, and now this—mind you, Doan’s not going to sign with a Western Conference team unless it’s Phoenix, but still…

I’ll take one of Mike Knuble, Petr Sykora, Jochen Hecht, Jason Arnott, Eric Fehr and/or one or two of Carlo Colaiacovo, Pavel Kubina, Chris Campoli, Milan Jurcina, Scott Hannan, Michal Rozsival, Matt Gilroy, Cam Barker or Jaroslav Spacek.

Mr. Holland, I know you’re in British Columbia, but given this summer’s silence, you need to throw Red Wings fans a bone here. Knuble. Please. Then a band-aid defenseman and a promise of more moves to come.

Update: Just as importantly, here’s what East Grand Rapids native Mike Knuble said to Comcast Sportsnet Washington’s Chuck Gormley:

Knuble and his family – wife, Megan, and children Cam, Anna and Cole – have returned to their home in East Grand Rapids, Mich. Knuble said his family plans on remaining there, regardless of where or if he plays next season.

Ideally, Knuble would like to finish his career where it started, with the Detroit Red Wings, who are currently $13 million under the salary cap. The Red Wings could have an opening at right wing behind Johan Franzen, Todd Bertuzzi and Dan Cleary.

“Detroit would be a neat story since I was drafted there,” Knuble said. “I’ll make no secret about that. That would be a nice way to come back around. You don’t have that luxury, but maybe a team has a hole and I can fill fit for a year until a prospect develops.”

Filed in: | The Malik Report | Permalink

Comments

Aaron Ward is a former D-man. Sign him for a home discount.

Posted by Alex on 07/26/12 at 09:01 PM ET

I wouldn’t mind the Wings signing Knuble.
GO ON VACATION, GEORGE.
thank you. we’ll still be on/off bandwagon/cheering/booing/whatever.

Posted by Bugsy on 07/26/12 at 09:04 PM ET

Love the idea of Knuble. Would really plug that hole we’ve got in the bottom six.

Posted by AppState on 07/26/12 at 09:06 PM ET

not surprising…given the 4 yrs $30M number out there

Knuble would be fine, however he’s a 3rd line player at this point in his career and Detroit’s already got 2 players (Sammy and Bert) that should be playing in that spot. Knuble lives in Mich during the off-season so it shouldn’t be too hard to convince him to take less money to come here.

Posted by dca from in Mich on 07/26/12 at 09:07 PM ET

Apparently, Brett Lebda decline Wings offer 10MM @ 10 years.  Paging No.55 Lawrence Murphy.

Posted by beelza on 07/26/12 at 09:13 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

If this happens I would rate that considerably below picking up Dallas Drake, a move I liked.

Posted by RWBill from Brush Street cruising with Super Creepy Rob Lowe. on 07/26/12 at 09:29 PM ET

Cal's avatar

Can you imagine the collective meltdown if Knuble would be the next FA signing?  This is definitely a high-stress area currently.

It would be a nice gesture to the guy, but why him and not Homer?

Posted by Cal on 07/26/12 at 09:30 PM ET

calquake's avatar

I wouldn’t mind the Wings signing Knuble.
GO ON VACATION, GEORGE.
thank you. we’ll still be on/off bandwagon/cheering/booing/whatever.

I swear it’s like you can hear the voices in my head too. “No he can’t.  Yes he can… shut up… no, you shut up.”

Posted by calquake on 07/26/12 at 09:31 PM ET

NIVO's avatar

Drapes for $1 smile

Posted by NIVO from underpants gnome village on 07/26/12 at 09:39 PM ET

Can you imagine the collective meltdown if Knuble would be the next FA signing?

What’s the issue?  Everyone knows the only pressing for the Wings is their lack of bottom-six defensemen, right?

Posted by Garth on 07/26/12 at 09:41 PM ET

I could live with adding Knuble and Rozsival but we’d still need to trade for a top 4 D-man.

Posted by Hockeytown Wax from West Bloomfield, Mi. on 07/26/12 at 09:43 PM ET

You know.. I’ve been a disgruntled spectator of the RedWings since the 5 Ov’s destroyed my LOD. But I’m not quite sure what is happening to your team. You guys have been the it until the Canucks signed. The Sedin sisters. Then one of my favorites leaves the game Mr Lidstrom, the gentleman, that should have the Byng since he joined. But I’m going to ask on your behalf, WTF. You guys being a great team have been a magnet for stars, to keep them off the Pens roster, but things are changing. You guys aren’t bad, like us, but WTF. I know Philly bash all you want., but damn. Done here

Posted by This guy from Fromhere on 07/26/12 at 09:45 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

Posted by Garth on 07/26/12 at 08:41 PM ET

Back on July 1 they called this “accumulating assets”.  For what, I don’t know.  ANA won’t trade Ryan for 4 bottom 6 forwards.

Posted by RWBill from Brush Street cruising with Super Creepy Rob Lowe. on 07/26/12 at 09:49 PM ET

My we’ve come a long way. Suter and Parise to Knuble and Rozsival.

Posted by Nick from Woodstock on 07/26/12 at 10:00 PM ET

Lol @ Knuble at a discount. What’s the obsession with saving money? U guys are acting like your paying out of your own pockets. I don’t mean to be out of line or abrasive but enough is enough with the wanting to save money on FA’s. Mike Knuble Is not what this team needs, unless you want to ice 1 first line, 1 third line, and 2 fourth lines. The guy had 18 points last year. I’m sorry, but Are there really people out there that could get excited about that signing?

Posted by NHLrick on 07/26/12 at 10:13 PM ET

MoreShoot's avatar

Nope. Can’t give a nod on that. Knuble OR Sammy, and we already made that play.

Posted by MoreShoot on 07/26/12 at 10:17 PM ET

Posted by MoreShoot on 07/26/12 at 09:17 PM ET

Yep.

Posted by Garth on 07/26/12 at 10:41 PM ET

Red Winger's avatar

I’m glad my alcohol - drug problems started way before this new era for the Wings.

I feel ...ready.

Posted by Red Winger from Sault Ste Marie on 07/26/12 at 11:14 PM ET

CaptNorris5's avatar

Tomas Homstrom > Mike Knuble

Posted by CaptNorris5 from The Winged Wheel, stuck in Chicago on 07/26/12 at 11:15 PM ET

Leo_Racicot's avatar

Looking at the remaining FA’s, Knuble and Spacek would give this team some nice punch on PP2 without breaking the bank.

Added bonus would be watching Knuble and Bert paired with any of the top three centers in the playoffs, Knuble would love to go out with a cup just like Dallas Drake did.

Posted by Leo_Racicot on 07/26/12 at 11:22 PM ET

HockeytownOverhaul's avatar

I feel ...ready.

Posted by
              Red Winger

from Sault Ste Marie on
              07/26/12 at 10:14 PM ET

You made me choke on my Doritos.

x10 this.\

I do think Knuble would bring a focused intensity to the lockerroom the way Drake did.  He’s got one shot, he’s a likeable vet.  He plays Babcock hockey almost perfectly, great net front presence, hell of a tip-artist.  Would mean parting with Emmerton, Mursak, Eaves, Miller (possibly, I think we need to keep this guy, GREAT attitude)  I’m on the fence but he’s a good fit, would help on the PP.

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 07/26/12 at 11:48 PM ET

Knuble would love to go out with a cup just like Dallas Drake did.

And that’s why he would sign in Detroit?

Would mean parting with Emmerton, Mursak, Eaves, Miller

Maybe Holland’s planning to pitch six or seven bottom-six forwards for Yandle?

Posted by Garth on 07/27/12 at 12:02 AM ET

OlderThanChelios's avatar

As much as I love Mike Knuble (and I’ve wanted the Wings to sign him since 2004), I’d much rather see the Wings spend the next $2M of their Cap space on Jason Arnott. He’s bigger, stronger and “meaner” than Knuble.

More importantly, he can rotate in as a winger as well as a center on the third line. Or he can move up to the second-line center position if Babs wants to put Pav and Z together for a few shifts.

And he’s got more offensive “upside” than Knuble…

Knuble in 2011-2012:  Ht: 6’-3”  Wt: 229lbs
72GA  -  6G -  12A -  18PTS -  (-15)

Arnott in 2011-2012:  Ht: 6’-5”  Wt: 220lbs
72GA -  17G -  17A -  34PTS -  (+13)

I’m all for “bringing home” former Wings for one more “kick at the can” (like Dallas Drake). But in this case, I’ll take someone like Arnott over a hometown guy simply because he’s a better overall player.

Posted by OlderThanChelios from Grand Rapids, MI on 07/27/12 at 12:58 AM ET

HockeytownOverhaul's avatar

Mule-Pav-Sammy
Flip-Z-Brunner
Nyquist-Helm-Tootoo
Cleary-Abby-Bert
Miller

Emmerton-Eaves-Mursak (tradeable)

That’s actually a pretty deep group.  Scoring threats on every line, skill on mostly every line and grit on mostly every line.  That trade package, assuming Eaves is healthy might actually intice some teams, he’s a R shooter.  Everyteam is looking for centers and Emmerton has shown glimpses of real skill.  In a different situation he’d probably do well, not with 6 minutes a night though nd Abby is who they’d like the center the 4th line.  Mursak has wheels all day, bigger cat and is R shooter.

But Brunner will prob start int he minors.  Deep roster either way, no big guns, but it’s def a platoon.

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 07/27/12 at 01:00 AM ET

HockeytownOverhaul's avatar

Posted by
              OlderThanChelios

on
              07/26/12 at 11:58 PM ET

It’s gonna be a hell of a fight for ice-time.

I’d love to see Arnott on the team, huge defensively responsible gritty centers who play wing, seems like a no-brainer.  Would hate to lose Miller though but Arnott would be an upgrade, especially with his ability to swing into the top 6 center role instead of shifting Fil.  I’m with you OTC

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 07/27/12 at 01:04 AM ET

NIVO's avatar

+1 for Arnott. Big, tough and fights like a bull for ice around the net. Just one concern, he seems to often be injured. But yes, a fit for sure.

Posted by NIVO from underpants gnome village on 07/27/12 at 05:09 AM ET

NIVO's avatar

just want to add another cooment to above. Arnott and Barker would add some toughness we all could appreciate.

Maybe Holland’s planning to pitch six or seven bottom-six forwards for Yandle?

Posted by Garth on 07/26/12 at 11:02 PM ET

I like the idea, downsizes the roster and plugs a hole.

Posted by NIVO from underpants gnome village on 07/27/12 at 05:12 AM ET

The Coyotes have 12 Forwards already, before Doan eventually resigns. They don’t need our scraps.

You can’t trade a bag of pucks for a #1 Dman.

Posted by AppState on 07/27/12 at 11:27 AM ET

That’s OK, I was being really, really sarcastic.

Posted by Garth on 07/27/12 at 11:29 AM ET

Didn’t mean to single you out. Seen a lot of people that seem to believe hats actually a viable option, like having Bert or Sammy on the Top 6 instead of Semin.

Posted by AppState on 07/27/12 at 01:08 PM ET

I am very disappointed by the lack of success the Wings and Holland had this summer. We are a fading dynasty (or dinosaur). I miss the days when we could simply replace players with the next big name needing a ring. Back then, we had a $80 million payroll, $10 million more than this last year. We now have a problem attracting players of any caliber and lose players with no one to replace them. We have an old arena, and the second oldest team in the league. We are also small but replace our losses with slower older players. Samuelson is going to replace Hudler (not my favorite) but Hudler at 28 years old had 25 goals and Samuelson at 36 barely had 28 points. We have left Holmstrom off the roster but even his 11 goals were equal to Samuelson. So a net loss of 10 or 15 goals. Of course the worse problem was not replacing Lidstrom. That will reverberate for years to come. I believe signing Quincey for a first round pick was a panic move on Holland’s part. So now we better cherish our top two or three picks and not throw them away worthlessly. We are a team in disarray and need to build through the draft as free agents will have to be over paid to come to an organization that is long in the tooth. Yes, we have many banners, but that is history, not the present and not a predictor of the future. I love the Wings passionately, which is why this hurts so much to even state this. But over the last few years, we keep losing just a little each summer and not replace it or improve it. I read the articles and they state with optimism that all the Wings and Holland has to do is… and we’ll be alright. We look to each summer with enthusiasm that something will happen and then nothing. We enter the season and we slip just a little only to follow the next year with the same and little more slippage. Then the hammer falls with Lidstrom retiring, which we knew was happening for years and despair sets in. Other fans are infiltrating our blogs and asking what is wrong with the Wings-kind of in our face. What can you say but read our history, but not our present nor our future. It’s kind of an empty feeling. I hope the rebuild is quick. I do love seeing Datsyuk. Sorry to be such a downer.

Posted by Fading Fan from Shores on 07/28/12 at 02:11 AM ET