The Malik Report

FSD’s Wakiji: Red Wings captain Nicklas Lidstrom thanks the community in remarkable fashion

Holy crap, per Fox Sports Detroit’s Dana Wakiji: Red Wings captain Nicklas Lidstrom (and his former employers) bought a full-page advertisement in the Sunday Detroit Free Press to thank fans! And I quote:

A Message from Nick and Annika Lidstrom:

This week, I announced my retirement from the Detroit Red Wings and professional hockey. Annika, our boys and I will be moving back to Sweden to be closer to our extended families. Before we leave, we wanted to express our gratitude to the wonderful people of Metro Detroit for adopting us and making us feel at home for the past 21 years. You made the transition to Detroit, coming from a foreign country and culture, amazingly easy. For this, we are extremely grateful. Detroiters—hockey fans or not—are downright decent and respectable people. Although we were born in Sweden, we have lived half our lives here and raised our boys in this community. We will always cherish our time spent here and are proud to claim that we are also from Detroit.

Thank you!

Sincerely,

Nick and Annika Lidstrom

Quickie update: The Red Wings have a picture of the ad, and here it is:

Detroit Red Wings on WhoSay

The full-size image can be downloaded on the team’s Facebook page—or just click the above image…

And the Free Press’s Helene St. James, who will be chatting on freep.com tomorrow at 11 AM, says even she bought five copies of today’s paper!

Updated: Aftonbladet’s Malin Akerberg has taken note of the ad.

Update #2: Expressen’s Callum Bloodworth snagged it, too.

I’m sorry I found out so late in the day, folks. If I’d known earlier, I would have given you some lead-up so that you could have bought some copies for yourself :(

Filed in: | The Malik Report | Permalink

Comments

RorSchach's avatar

Talk about Class.. His limit of Class knows no bounds. Thank you, Nick.

Posted by RorSchach from Datsberg on 06/03/12 at 07:13 PM ET

Aphaea's avatar

Classiest human being ever.

Posted by Aphaea on 06/03/12 at 07:36 PM ET

MsRedWinger's avatar

Wow.

Posted by MsRedWinger from Flori-duh on 06/03/12 at 07:38 PM ET

Epitome of class.

Posted by catswithbats on 06/03/12 at 07:49 PM ET

cowboycoffee's avatar

LOVE it.

also, George, the full-size link is incorrect. it downloads one of the background images from the Wings site.

Posted by cowboycoffee from San Francisco, CA on 06/03/12 at 07:50 PM ET

Neznarf's avatar

I remember Grant Hill doing this a while back as well, when he left Detroit.  Still can’t believe I’ll be watching the Wings next year without 5.

Posted by Neznarf on 06/03/12 at 08:04 PM ET

redxblack's avatar

Dear Tim Thomas - this is how it is done!

Posted by redxblack from Akron Ohio on 06/03/12 at 08:19 PM ET

WingedRider's avatar

Dear Tim Thomas - this is how it is done!

No kidding!!!  What an amazing retirement by Lids, I have never seen anything like it!

Posted by WingedRider from Saskatoon, SK on 06/03/12 at 08:33 PM ET

thethirdcoast's avatar

The best.

Period.

Posted by thethirdcoast from Algiers, DZ on 06/03/12 at 08:36 PM ET

Such grace.

Very, very cool.

Posted by SYF from Zata's Epic Viking Beard on 06/03/12 at 09:14 PM ET

Not a Red Wings fan, but what a classy guy. I have the utmost respect for Lidstrom. Live well my friend!!!

Posted by David from California on 06/03/12 at 11:12 PM ET

shanetx's avatar

Would anyone in metro detroit area be willing to buy and send me a copy or two?

I’ll reimburse, of course.  I’d like to have a copy.

Posted by shanetx from Floydada, Texas on 06/04/12 at 01:28 AM ET

George Malik's avatar

I Think you and half the Wings fans in Metro Detroit feel the same way. From what I understood, these got gobbled up very quickly as the Sunday paper is a big physical seller (due to ads and such) anyway :(

Posted by George Malik from South Lyon, MI on 06/04/12 at 03:18 AM ET

shanetx's avatar

That’s a bummer.  Thanks for the reply, though.  I hope you got a copy. smile

Posted by shanetx from Floydada, Texas on 06/06/12 at 11:03 PM ET