The Malik Report

A Trade Proposal For You

Once again it’s Paul and this time I have a question for you.

A Detroit fan at HFBoards proposed the following trade: Valtteri Filppula, Gustav Nyquist, Jakub Kindl and a 2nd round pick in the 2013 NHL Draft for Ryan Kesler.

Both Kindl ($833K) and Nyquist ($875K) will be RFAs after this season and Filppula ($3M) will have UFA status on July 1st, 2013.  Kesler ($5M) is signed for four more season. (all salary numbers via CapGeek.)

Now on to some of the responses to the proposal…

• I dont think that even comes close to getting it done. When Kesler is healthy he is a top 20 centre in the league easily. Who would centre the 2nd line and why would the Canucks take that drop off? Most likely you would have a centre who isnt even remotely close defensively and then they have 2 centres who cant/dont/wont play defense.

• If Kesler is going to Detroit, Datsyuk is coming back to Vancouver. 1 for 1 deal

• If Filppula can play centre well, then him, Smith/Nyquist, 1st.

You can read about 130 more responses but I think you get the idea.

So, what do you think about the original trade proposal or do you have a better package to get Kesler to Detroit?

Filed in: | The Malik Report | Permalink

Comments

1 2 >       Next »

Nate A's avatar

Oh my.

Paul, thank you again for being a safe haven for mostly smart and sane hockey discussion.

Posted by Nate A from Detroit-ish on 08/03/12 at 03:13 PM ET

TheFreak's avatar

Franzen for Kesler straight up. smile

Posted by TheFreak on 08/03/12 at 03:14 PM ET

PaulinMiamiBeach's avatar

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHsnortHAHAHAHAHAHAH

there is not a single player in the league I would consider as good enough for a 1 for 1 trade with Datsyuk.  nobody.

the only one I would have considered good enough, just retired from the Red Wings after spending his whole career in the playoffs.

Posted by PaulinMiamiBeach on 08/03/12 at 03:15 PM ET

Does Kesler play center well?  If so, then Emmerton is headed to Vancouver.
1 for 1 deal.

Posted by ryan on 08/03/12 at 03:17 PM ET

George Malik's avatar

Defenseman defenseman defenseman.

Posted by George Malik from South Lyon, MI on 08/03/12 at 03:19 PM ET

Luongo-is-my-hero's avatar

ol. thats like saying, you guys would trade datsyuk or zetterberg for mason raymond, hansen, and a 2nd rd pick.  or better yet, ballard
.Would you guys trade your 2nd line center, for a bunch of filler, better yet, your 2nd line center signed for 4 more years at a very reasonable cap hit, for a bunch of filler that are going to be either ufa’s, or rfa’s at the end of the year?

Posted by Luongo-is-my-hero on 08/03/12 at 03:19 PM ET

3rdRoundDraftPick's avatar

How does Ryan Kesler solve Detroit’s problem right now, which is defense? Especially considering you’re giving up one of our 6 defenseman in this trade

Posted by 3rdRoundDraftPick on 08/03/12 at 03:20 PM ET

WHO THINKS OF THESE THINGS!?

Only way Vancouver would ever agree to that trade is if Filppula agreed to a contract extension.

Secondly, Kesler is a solid two play player..possibly a top 5 two way forward in the game. We’d have to give up way more.

No defenseman seems to want to sign here either so giving up Kindl would shoot us in the foot even more so.

I’d love to see Kesler here but I don’t think we have enough to give up. Enough is the sense of something that won’t royally screw us in the future.

Posted by Chris on 08/03/12 at 03:27 PM ET

Ducksworth's avatar

I would love for Kesler to come back home and play for the Wings. Maybe something along the lines of….

Filppula, Nyquist, Kindl, and a 1st or 2nd Round Pick for Kesler, Ballard and a Mid-Round Pick.

I know Ballard hasn’t had a great past couple of seasons with the Canucks but I think a change of scenery could help remedy that. I like Filppula alot but I can’t see him nothing more than a 2nd Line player. Kesler has the potential to be a 1st Line centerman NOW and is a great 2-way player.

Posted by Ducksworth from Brownstown, MI on 08/03/12 at 03:27 PM ET

calquake's avatar

Kesler is an excellent player… but I would not trade Z nor Dats straight up for him.  As has been said, we need help on D, not offense.  However I also see no reason for the Canucks to go for the original proposal either.

Posted by calquake on 08/03/12 at 03:27 PM ET

slapclap’s a spammer, Paul.

As if I needed a belly-breaking laugher today.

Posted by SYF from the team that re-signed KFQ and DFC by KFH on 08/03/12 at 03:30 PM ET

I can’t believe well over half of what i am reading here. There has been one legit comment on this article (shout out PaulinMiamiBeach). There is no reason for us to trade Fil or Gus, our younger forwards, especially for another forward. We need a top 3 Dman and are over stocked at forward.

Does Kesler play center well?  If so, then Emmerton is headed to Vancouver.
1 for 1 deal.
This better be a joke….

Posted by pavel on 08/03/12 at 03:34 PM ET

George Malik's avatar

Defensemen defensemen defensemen. Zum Repeten: defenseman Feelyat!

Posted by George Malik from South Lyon, MI on 08/03/12 at 03:37 PM ET

WingedRider's avatar

Kesler probably thinks he can play defense also,  I would give Canucks Quincey to keep Kesler in Vancouver…Another headcase, IMO

Posted by WingedRider from Saskatoon, SK on 08/03/12 at 03:41 PM ET

Cal's avatar

Good one.  That would be remeniscent of the Gary Unger for Red Berenson deal of the 70’s.  I think the GM job was done by a bunch of chimpanzees then.

Posted by Cal on 08/03/12 at 03:41 PM ET

This better be a joke….
Posted by pavel on 08/03/12 at 01:34 PM ET

It was more of a parody.

Posted by ryan on 08/03/12 at 03:44 PM ET

HFBoards are almost as comical as Eklund, Andy Strickland, and the latest rumor spreader, the one and only HockeyInsiderr…  Yes I took one of his rumors serious once….. once.

Have I read correctly that Kesler is having setbacks in this LATEST rehab from a surgery ?  Nice player to have, and yes he’s from Livonia and all that, but Nucks won’t deal him unless it was just a crazy offer.

Posted by @TheJimPl9 from Nashville on 08/03/12 at 03:48 PM ET

Absolutely no way Holland trades either Fil or Gus if he wants to keep his job.

I never saw Kindl & Ericsson play together in G.R. but it would be nice to see what they can do together at the NHL level.

We need defence first but if adding a forward via free agency gives KH more weapons to trade with then its gotta be done.

It seems everyone is hell bent on trading Franzen.  If so, then you have to get a big body at aprox. the same age for him.  Rumours have been flying for years that Calgary would trade Iggy if the right deal came around.  At this point in his career, a 1 for 1 trade should be good enough for a 35 year old on the last year of his contract.
Both Iggy and Franzen take the first month of the season to ‘get going’ ... they have the same offencive potential ... Mule is 2 years younger and Iggy is more physical so we get the grit and Calgary gets 2 more years of offencive output.  Seems even to me ... except for the salary cap hit we’d take.

It doesn’t give Holland any more weapons to trade for a defenceman but, having Bert and Iggy on the same team after all these years would be a hoot.

Posted by Hockeytown Wax from West Bloomfield, Mi. on 08/03/12 at 03:48 PM ET

Keep hearing how physical Jerome Iginla still is, but I havent really seen it in a few years.  Maybe once in a blue moon he gets his blood up to start throwing the body around but Ive watched plenty Flames games the last few years to see that most people are only speaking of his reputation.

Sounds like Franzen.  Minus the NHL postseason record, Stanley Cup ring, 2 inches, 20 pounds, but plus an additional $3 million per.

Posted by ryan on 08/03/12 at 03:54 PM ET

oh .. and ... why would we trade for a player who had reconstructive sholder surgery and won’t be back until at least December ??

Yeah Kesler is a hometown boy and plays with an edge blah blah blah, but as stated before, we need D first and we need to use the ‘tradeable’ players for a defenceman, not a forward with a repaired sholder.

Posted by Hockeytown Wax on 08/03/12 at 03:56 PM ET

If we are not going to have lock down D then we have to maintain the puck.  Flip is good but not great, I would do the deal.  Adding Ryan makes the team stronger & closer to being competitive.  That will make Detroit more attractive to the right D man opportunity when he comes along.  I would get Arnot too.

Posted by Pondrocket from Howell, MI on 08/03/12 at 03:58 PM ET

Primis's avatar

That looks like a typical HFBoards trade proposal.  Horribly one-sided and would serve no real purpose for DET.

DET doesn’t need Kesler in the least.  Period.

Posted by Primis on 08/03/12 at 04:05 PM ET

Vladimir16's avatar

Posted by WingedRider on 08/03/12 at 01:41 PM ET

This ^^^^
I can’t stand Ryan Kesler and he can’t stand the Wings. So feck him!

Posted by Vladimir16 from Grand River Valley on 08/03/12 at 04:12 PM ET

HockeytownOverhaul's avatar

if we’re throwin out wild ass trade ideas I’d rather see one for Bufgylin

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 08/03/12 at 04:18 PM ET

Chet's avatar

no f’in way.

Posted by Chet from twitter: thegansen on 08/03/12 at 04:41 PM ET

Alan's avatar

There’s a reason I don’t participate much on HFB anymore. This is one of those reasons. Holy Christ on a cracker.

Posted by Alan from Atlanta on 08/03/12 at 04:58 PM ET

Way too many non Canadians coming back the other way. Even thought Kesler"s an American. A trade like this might be the last straw for the Canuck fans testing Gillis ability to win a Cup in Vancouver.

Posted by Bushay on 08/03/12 at 05:04 PM ET

Yeah there’s got to be more coming DETs way.
I love Kesler, but this is crazy.

Nyquist will be a gamer and Kesler on Long term IR.
Just wait, Kindl will break out this year AND and a 2nd rounder when detroit is suppose to have a sub par year? Nuts man. Just nuts. We need D anyway.

At this rate we’ll have to suit up monster to fit another d and beg Lidas to come back for a billion bucks.

Datsyuk for Kesler Freakin’ JOKE! Your hockey card is revoked, dude. Go follow badminton.

Posted by Revenhouse10 from Grand Rapids, MI on 08/03/12 at 05:23 PM ET

Good God, whoever suggested that trade is an idiot.

In the four years other than Kesler’s crazy career year when he’s been a 19+ minute a night forward he’s averaged 23.5 goals and 31.5 assists, in almost 80 games a year.

Over Fil’s last 5 years in a substantially smaller role he’s scored at a 18.5g/30.3a pace per 82 games.

And one guy can play center.  Not for nothing, but looking at the contracts Fil for Kesler straight up is a deal I’d stare at for a long time before deciding whether to take it or not from the Detroit end.  Adding all that other stuff onto the Detroit side just makes it laughably stupid.

Posted by HockeyinHD on 08/03/12 at 05:30 PM ET

BrendonR's avatar

I don’t want Kesler no matter who is going the other way.  He’s not Red Wing material, period.  Have we forgotten about this so soon?

Overrated and rehabbing until December.  And the more Fil gets put in trade rumours, the more I’m reminded of how good he really is.  He’s a special player that we’ve probably taken for granted due to him constantly being slotted in as a centre when he really belongs as a winger in the NHL.  I hope they lock him up long-term.

Posted by BrendonR on 08/03/12 at 05:45 PM ET

CaptNorris5's avatar

The only way I’d trade Gus, Fil, and Kindl for Kesler is if Lidstrom called and said he’d play another year if he got to use the hollowed out base of Kesler’s skull as a goblet for his Gatorade on the bench.

Posted by CaptNorris5 from The Winged Wheel, stuck in Chicago on 08/03/12 at 06:03 PM ET

Has this what it’s come down to for news? This is seriously grasping at straws here…
Hey Paul Random ridiculous trade post I found under this rock they called hfboards forums and thought we could talk about nothing. Oh wait…welcome to CNN where we have a tracker for “What will Tiger woods do!?”

Come on now, lets get some real reporting going on here. Have some standards at least.

Posted by JOhn from Michigan on 08/03/12 at 06:09 PM ET

This might be the dumbest thing I have ever heard of. It really shouldn’t have been posted to entertain it. You know we’re having a dry spell of good news when this pops up.

There is literally no reason to trade our 66 point 2 way forward and best forward prospect for another forward. We have fantastic forward depth. End of story.

No trade will happen unless it is for a defenseman, bottom line.

*Just because we didn’t get all the star power we craved this summer doesn’t mean Holland is all of a sudden a bad GM who deserves no credit*

Posted by brentWing on 08/03/12 at 06:42 PM ET

Since we need to trade for defence not offence and since we’d get best value if we go to an Eastern Conference team to do said trade ....

Quincey and Emmerton to the NY Islanders for the disgruntled Lubomir Visnovsky.

I know its not going to help the Islanders get closer to the cap floor but it solves our problem of finding a top 3 D-man via trade, it gives Emmerton a better opportunity to crack the lineup full time, and we don’t have to worry about which version of Quincey is going to show up this season (if there is one).

On the Islanders side, Quincey replaces Visnovsky, Emmerton gives them 12 forwards under contract, and plenty of cap space to search for more via free agency.

If not Visnovsky, I’d be almost as happy with Mark Streit.

Posted by Hockeytown Wax from West Bloomfield, Mi. on 08/03/12 at 06:45 PM ET

You don’t trade Quincey when you need more then 1 dman. Depth at D really isn’t there to be trading a quality dman. He was there for 20 games. Quincey will be a solid dman, with a full offseason in his system.

Posted by T on 08/03/12 at 07:10 PM ET

Paul's avatar

Posted by JOhn from Michigan on 08/03/12 at 04:09 PM ET

Sorry to see my so-called standards don’t meet your high level of reporting.

I would have emailed you but see you didn’t leave an address plus I wonder why, a first time poster would even think they know about my standards?

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 08/03/12 at 07:22 PM ET

Well ‘T’,

I’m not 100% convinced Quincey has the brain power to play D properly for this club.

Having skills and knowing what to do with said skills are 2 very different things (see arron ward).

Q hasn’t proven to me that he knows what he’s doing out there.
He was in Colorado for a year, LA for 2½, and Yzerman handed him off to us like he was tossing a hot potato.

Would changing it to Ericsson & Emmerton be better for you ??

If the season started tomorrow and we started with the D-men we have now, as GM of this team I’d have to bring 3 spare undies to each game (1 for each period played).

We need someone skilled and established to go along with Kronner (white is close but he’s only been here 1 year) and if that means giving up on a couple of question marks to get someone proven then I’d do it in a heartbeat.

Posted by Hockeytown Wax from West Bloomfield, Mi. on 08/03/12 at 08:23 PM ET

PaulinMiamiBeach's avatar

WIN

Posted by PaulinMiamiBeach on 08/03/12 at 09:48 PM ET

Perhaps Zach Bogosian would be a possibility for the Wings, seeing as how the Winnipeg Jets are overflowing with young talent and could, if anything, use some experience on that team, of which the Wings have plenty to offer.

Posted by Varyag on 08/03/12 at 11:02 PM ET

I’d prefer to not trade any D at all unless we’re getting 2 dman for 1. Were pretty thin at D. I’m not big on Ericsson, but I dont think trading him is an option. Yea your getting a dman in return, but your still creating a hole. Unless they get Carl C. Or someone before. Depth Is an issue and the best option is the FA route. I know it’s kinda playin with fire, but waiting to see how the CBA turns out might be the best course of action.

Posted by T on 08/03/12 at 11:13 PM ET