Oil Patch

Oilers Lose Fourth Consecutive Game

Oilers lose 3-2 to the Red Wings
The Edmonton Oilers continue on their annual December downward spiral. Where oh where are the Oilers of October?  With this loss to the Red Wings, the Oilers have now lost all but two games for the entire month of December. Of course there are some players that don’t look as though they are on a losing team, but the players struggling are definitely affecting the team the most.

Goals by Ryan Jones and Jordan Eberle were not enough to get an Oilers win, but they were enough to keep the team competitive. The Oilers also remained competitive with the Red Wings in terms of shots on net, but again, it wasn’t enough. Overall, the team stayed in the game and put in a valiant effort, but the Red Wings were one of the last teams the Oilers would have chosen to take on at this point in time.

“You’d love to be able to win and learn.” Oilers’ head coach Tom Renney said of his team’s losses. “But we can’t feel sorry for ourselves. Nobody is going to give us points.”  Renney didn’t feel that his team was completely outmatched in all ways, but it is of course his job to be the face of the media and being completely negative helps absolutely no one. “We were with this team all of the way and that’s something to build on.”

The most interesting part of the game may have been when @MeiksModified sent a couple of alarming tweets:

Wall fell down in rexall section 205

Then

My wife is at the game and she said part of the wall fell, cinder block pieces were all over where you walk

Although the City of Edmonton is currently working with the Katz group to finalize design plans, reports such as this remind Oilers’ fans and Rexall goers just how old and in need of repair Rexall is becoming.

Next up, the Oilers host the Wild Thursday night before heading out on the road to make way for the World Juniors tournament.

Filed in: Edmonton Oilers, | Oil Patch | Permalink

Comments

Heh.  Lisa, I thought the Oils were showing the form that beat the Avs:  forechecking and lots of disgustingly speedy wheels.  As I said on TMR, the Slicks fans on the hfboards saw an entirely different game:  playing not to lose.  Did you see anything like that?

Posted by SYF from #GORDIEHOWEARENA on 12/20/11 at 03:50 AM ET

Lisa Brown's avatar

Honestly I was watching two games at once, but I saw more of what you saw. To me this was not the oilers team that plays not to lose. Still its looking more and more like my playoff dreams for this year will go unfilled. There us still plenty of time. But I’m not sure Santa can deliver

Smyth must be getting tired and Whitney and Hemsky have both said they’re not feeling 100%

Posted by Lisa Brown on 12/20/11 at 04:01 AM ET

Ken Daniels was talking about Hemsky all night long.  And even when I was watching the game, he sure did NOT play like he was less than 100%.  I liked this kind of game - even if it was frustrating to watch.

Posted by SYF from #GORDIEHOWEARENA on 12/20/11 at 04:09 AM ET

redxblack's avatar

Hall looked great all night. His stoning Zetterberg’s weak open net shot was outstanding.

Posted by redxblack from Akron Ohio on 12/20/11 at 11:24 AM ET

Nathan's avatar

This is the first real time I’ve watched the Oilers play this season (only half watched the Oilers/Wings game earlier in the season). I think they have a lot to be excited about. They had some tough drafts with Gagner (who still isn’t a lost cause), Omark, and Cogliano, but have clearly nailed it with this insanely fast and talent trio of Hall/Nugent-Hopkins/Eberle.

The big thing for them now is to make the right complimentary moves over the next couple years. You make the right moves, you can look like the Hawks, you make the wrong ones, you can look like the Avs…

Posted by Nathan from the scoresheet! on 12/20/11 at 11:52 AM ET

Lisa Brown's avatar

This post just goes to prove that I shouldn’t write and watch 2 games at the same time while also reading text messages from my disgruntled friends. It turns out that mad moods are contagious.

Honestly I am still very excited about this Oilers team. Hall did have an excellent game, Hemsky did look better than he has for a very long time and overall the Oilers were in this game until the end.

Nathan, I still think they are at least considering moving Gagner, Omark is tough to say especially since he’s out injured and Cogliano seems to be doing quite well with the Ducks now. It was just unfortunate that the OIlers had too many small forwards at the time and so needed to move him.

The trouble still seems to be the missing puck moving d-man and consistency.

Posted by Lisa Brown on 12/20/11 at 12:44 PM ET

Nathan's avatar

Posted by Lisa McRitchie on 12/20/11 at 09:44 AM ET

Yeah, I didn’t mean to say you sounded negative or anything, just wanted to toss in my couple cents now that I’ve watched them play. It was a good close game. The Wings played a good road game—not their best, but buried the few opportunities they had, and didn’t give the Oilers a lot of room to work, even when they got spats of possession. The Oilers, for their part, still played well—I thought their “kid” line in particular had a lot of shifts where they got on the cycle and created problems, the Wings just found a way to bend and not break… give up perimeter space without giving up the critical areas, and Howard stoned a few chances.

I’m curious from an Oilers’ fan perspective… how do you feel bringing Smyth back has helped? Obviously he’s been productive, but I’m wondering more in terms of influence on the young guys. That’s the type of move I think they need to make again next offseason—find a couple veterans, the way the Bs brought in Mark Recchi, or the Pens brought in Bill Guerin, or the way the Hawks brought in John Madden. Teach that talent how to carry the mail every night, and in a year or two that trio will be ripping the league apart.

Posted by Nathan from the scoresheet! on 12/20/11 at 01:18 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

The Oilers are in bad need of a puck-moving defenseman to hit their speedy young forwards with outlet passes and help them establish a cycle in the offensive zone.

I was very impressed with Eberle. Nose for the net and willingness to go intot he middle and try, try, try to make defensemen look stupid over and over again is a good attitude.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 12/20/11 at 01:24 PM ET

HockeytownOverhaul's avatar

+1 J.J.

They’re D core is soooo bad, you ALMOST felt sorry for them.

I was more impressed with Eberle than Hall or or RNH.

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 12/20/11 at 01:43 PM ET

Lisa Brown's avatar

Nathan, I think that Smyth is helping with all aspects of the game and training. I was hoping that he would be able to work with Magnus Paajarvi in particular, but Paajarvi has been moved to the AHL to play more minutes. I have heard that Tom Renney kept Paajarvi up because he had his reasons. I can’t help but wonder if it was to keep him around Smyth for a little longer.

Smyth has been working with the younger players in terms of professionalism, faceoffs, team building and he has even been inviting them to his home. Smyth can’t teach everyone everything all at once, and Smyth is also trying to learn something from the youth and use their energy and excitement for his inspiration. I hope that Smyth is not going anywhere until he chooses to retire.

J.J. that’s exactly why the Oilers need some help on the back end. I have been extremely happy with Eberle’s second year in the league as are most Oiler fans. Its a relief to hear that Tambellini doesn’t entertain trade requests when Eberle’s name is dropped.

HockeytownOverhaul, that’s what we get to see on a regular basis. The defense to start the season looked questionable but surprised us all when the team had such low goals allowed. But now either due to exhaustion, injuries or both, this is more along the lines of what was expected.

Posted by Lisa Brown on 12/20/11 at 01:55 PM ET